Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic Free Agents

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Realistic Free Agents

Anyone have any realistic FA's in mind?

I will start with Terrance Cody.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Anyone have any realistic FA's in mind?

I will start with Terrance Cody.
    Jason Worilds
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    And I have EVERY Steelers game on tape going back 20 years BEFORE Terry Bradshaw even picked up a football.

Assistant Coach
    WR
    Cotchery - He was so friggin important to the offense this year. Would be a devastating loss
    Lafell - has never lived up to the hype... probably won't command more than a 1 yr / 1 million type of deal.
    Louis Murphy - reclamation project

TE
    Chandler - very underrated Red Zone threat. With a running game that can threaten inside the 10, a Chandler/Miller combo could do things.
    Quarless -it would be nice to have a TE who can threaten the seam a bit

Oline
    OT Eric Winston - I'd like to bring in a veteran tackle who is experienced in a zone scheme. A guy to put a bit of pressure on the youth, help teach, and be ready to fill in.
    OC - Velasco and Wallace - Velasco knows the scheme... he's a logical signing. Wallace starts as the back up to Pouncey.

DE
    Tyson Jackson - long shot... we need help at the position.
    Alex Carrington - I've been a big fan since he came out... coming off major injury... I think he could be a long term solution.
    Woods - I'd bring him back, he'll be cheap
    Moala - if we don't bring back woods

ILB
    Arthur Moats - I think he could thump inside for us.

CB
    Dunta Robinson - a shell of his former self. could be had for a vet minimum 1 yr deal. But, if we are sticking with our scheme, he's a good fit on the outside, replacing Ike. The Chiefs idiotically moved him into a slot role that highlights his weaknesses. He can still be a zone corner who doesn't get beat deep. A guy with a high football IQ and play recognition. He's a sure tackler. Is he going to press and play man? Nope... but neither will the steelers (lol)

Mike Jenkins - never come remotely close to his potential. At 28, he'd have value if he took his last chance seriously. Oh, this would only make sense if we were planning a schematic shift in his favor (man2man)

FS
    Jairus Byrd - ok... i know you specified realistic. But this is the one player/type of move/need that I'd break the bank for. I'd cut players that would make you cry if it meant signing him long term. I want a single high FS, that angles the entire field (earl) and allows Troy to remain in his effective role inside the box. Byrd would change our defense like no other player in free agency or this draft. I obviously dont believe this to be possible. but... whatever... ramble ramble
    Return of the Banana

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    WR
    Cotchery - He was so friggin important to the offense this year. Would be a devastating loss
    Lafell - has never lived up to the hype... probably won't command more than a 1 yr / 1 million type of deal.
    Louis Murphy - reclamation project

TE
    Chandler - very underrated Red Zone threat. With a running game that can threaten inside the 10, a Chandler/Miller combo could do things.
    Quarless -it would be nice to have a TE who can threaten the seam a bit

Oline
    OT Eric Winston - I'd like to bring in a veteran tackle who is experienced in a zone scheme. A guy to put a bit of pressure on the youth, help teach, and be ready to fill in.
    OC - Velasco and Wallace - Velasco knows the scheme... he's a logical signing. Wallace starts as the back up to Pouncey.

DE
    Tyson Jackson - long shot... we need help at the position.
    Alex Carrington - I've been a big fan since he came out... coming off major injury... I think he could be a long term solution.
    Woods - I'd bring him back, he'll be cheap
    Moala - if we don't bring back woods

ILB
    Arthur Moats - I think he could thump inside for us.

CB
    Dunta Robinson - a shell of his former self. could be had for a vet minimum 1 yr deal. But, if we are sticking with our scheme, he's a good fit on the outside, replacing Ike. The Chiefs idiotically moved him into a slot role that highlights his weaknesses. He can still be a zone corner who doesn't get beat deep. A guy with a high football IQ and play recognition. He's a sure tackler. Is he going to press and play man? Nope... but neither will the steelers (lol)

Mike Jenkins - never come remotely close to his potential. At 28, he'd have value if he took his last chance seriously. Oh, this would only make sense if we were planning a schematic shift in his favor (man2man)

FS
    Jairus Byrd - ok... i know you specified realistic. But this is the one player/type of move/need that I'd break the bank for. I'd cut players that would make you cry if it meant signing him long term. I want a single high FS, that angles the entire field (earl) and allows Troy to remain in his effective role inside the box. Byrd would change our defense like no other player in free agency or this draft. I obviously dont believe this to be possible. but... whatever... ramble ramble
    Awww man, I thought we were just going to go one by one. Thanks for ruining it!
    And I have EVERY Steelers game on tape going back 20 years BEFORE Terry Bradshaw even picked up a football.

Draft Pick
    Oh and combined with your urbik love and who ever else this just proves you're a closet Bills fan....lol.

Assistant Coach

Realistic Free Agents

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityShaker View Post
    Oh and combined with your urbik love and who ever else this just proves you're a closet Bills fan....lol.
    Ha there is an abnormal amount of bills in this list. Holy crap... I honestly didn't even realize
    Return of the Banana

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Those guys listed in Neil's post are garbage. I wouldn't touch anyone of them. The pickings are very, very slim if your going to go the bargain basement route this year. I'd rather them step up and sign just ONE major free agent that fills a need then do the rest in the draft. At some point, it's about quality. That used to be what we were about.

At this rate, I hope our scouts are out in force because we are going to need to hit on some gems that end up undrafted.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Assistant Coach

Realistic Free Agents

Real Dumb Stupid is garbage
    Return of the Banana

My Mood
    Addicted
    Lafell might be interesting. I watched him at Carolina. If the price is right I would take a shot at this kid.

My Mood
    Ratbirds

Realistic Free Agents

Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Lafell might be interesting. I watched him at Carolina. If the price is right I would take a shot at this kid.
    Agreed, but I would rather keep Cotch. He already has a rapport with Ben and was a great red zone threat.

I meant other teams' free agents but it is OK that the thread went in the direction it did. There really is no such thing as a "Steelers free agent."

I think Cody is worth a look. He made only 500g with the Ravens last year and will never play behind Ngata. He is big and tough to move. If he played even an average NT for us at a reasonable rate, he would be a steal and free up a draft pick with one less need.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Thread Information