Thread: First Round CB or WR?

Bookmark and Share
    Waterboy

First Round CB or WR?

With the likelihood of either Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard falling to us at 15 and Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin Falling to us at 15 The Steelers have an opportunity to potentially have a franchise No.2 tall WR or a shutdown CB. Who should the Steelers take.

In my opinion, taking a cornerback in the 1st is smarter than selecting receiver and here are my arguments.

-Markus Wheaton has serious potential and selecting a "taller" does not fill an immediate need.
    -Derek Moye is 6'5' and ran a 4.40 and has show flashes of excellence and could be our big man if he adds much needed bulk.
    -This draft is deeper at WR than it is CB. Moncrief/Robinson/Matthews/Bryant/Coleman could be future stars which we could definitely snag at later rounds.
    -Cornerback is a bigger need than WR. So many teams have exposed this and it lost us many games. We havn't lost games because Antonio brown wasn't tall enough... Our starters are Ike Taylor (Who as of last season, is a liability on defense) and Allen who has upside but is by no means a shutdown corner yet and Gay who is adequate at best.

We need a shutdown corner desperately!

CB. Gilbert or Dennard but I think Dennard.

My reason is simpler. D still wins championships. Always has, always will.

Im taking a shutdown corner over a WR any day. Im not sold on Benjamin and I think Evans would be a tough one to pass up. But, this WR core is deep in this draft. I would take Jordan Mathews/Allen Robinson/Moncrief over Benjamin in this draft. Hell, I would go Mosley over Benjamin in the first also, and Nix over Benjamin.

I just think Gilbert/Dennard are going to be guys who shut down half of the field. I will take a shutdown corner over a WR anyday.

Gilbert, Dennard, Clinton-Dix
    OR
    Evans, Lee, Benjamin

Rookie Free Agent
    If you have a shot at evans I think you have to take him, besides our defensive problems have not been because of bad corner play its because of a lack of pass rush. Our defense was built to stop the run and blitz with our linebackers but we haven't been able to get to the qb. I think Evans is a game changer and if your paying your qb 100 million dollars lets get him some weapons.

Ben needs Ebron or Benjiman

Timmons needs Mosley or Nix

Troy needs Mosley or Dennard

Gilbert, Evans will probably be gone so i left them out..

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Ben needs Ebron or Benjiman

Timmons needs Mosley or Nix

Troy needs Mosley or Dennard

Gilbert, Evans will probably be gone so i left them out..
    Ben doesn't need a big receiver to get the Steelers back to the SB. He has done it his whole career without a big wideout. Plus 6'3 WRs are big enough to get the job done.

The secondary needs more help. CB is the issue here and then Safety. We can add a DL later in the rounds.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    Ben doesn't need a big receiver to get the Steelers back to the SB. He has done it his whole career without a big wideout. Plus 6'3 WRs are big enough to get the job done.
    This...

Not sure where to go with the pick, (CB, S, or Mosely) but I still think it should be on D.
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    And I have EVERY Steelers game on tape going back 20 years BEFORE Terry Bradshaw even picked up a football.

I'm not big on drafting WRs in the first round. All too often they turn into divas. When Heath and Bell got healthy our O was good enough. Not great, but with a number one D good enough to win it all. Experience and continuity on the O line should make that better too. All we have to do is replace Sanders and maybe Wheaton can do that. Sure, another TE or a big WR would be nice, but you can only take one guy, and the biggest impact would be a corner. True, we have a number of needs on D, more the reason to pick one.

I like a CB for sure. I think Gilbert is better at tackling so I think I am leaning towards him, but I don't watch enough college
    ball to make real complex comparisons. If any of you guys can break down the differences in the CBs I would be interested in thoughts, but I know the Steelers put a premium on wrapping up your man when you are tackling in the open filed, which they should.

Thread Information