Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Missouri DE Michael Sam: "I am an openly, proud gay man"

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick
    Personally I think that Sam won't directly face much if any discrimination from players. He'll for sure get some crap from ignorant fans, and from the way it sounds he seems to understand and accept that, I hope for his sake he's a big enough person.

What I do think may become an issue is a more indirect, circumstantial type of bigotry on the field. In a heated atmosphere I can see players in a huddle not maliciously, but ignorantly making comments like "don't let that F@#$%t get by you", or "you just let a @$#% just **** all over you"...etc. I would bet those are things that have been said for years in huddles, just look at some of the practices that have come out about locker room cultures. I think it will be interesting to see how all facets of this situation play out.
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    And I have EVERY Steelers game on tape going back 20 years BEFORE Terry Bradshaw even picked up a football.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Please, show where I am "pretending that it's already here." Quote me for the record. My heavens. You make no sense. My entire point was that it is highly unfortunate that we are not at a point where someone can just live their life openly without feeling the need to "come out".
    "Almost no one under 50 gives a damn if you are gay or straight."

Yes, it is highly unfortunate that we are not at that point... and it will take those who are willing to do what Sam is doing to get us there.

That's the argument I've been having with you. I think it's a big deal, you think it's a nothing burger. You and I seem to want to get to the same place. I see what Sam is doing as something that will move us in that direction. While you seem to think it's unnecessary, and we will just get to where we want to be by magic.

Actually, what I said was that no photogs, fans, or security heard Orr yell it at Smart. I have heard it.
    " Look again at Smart. Those that would use the N word toward him are few."

They are few, and those that use the "F" word are not.

"The F word" has been seen as something you do not say for a long time now. Not sure what Sam had to do with that.
    It's not where it needs to be.

So let me see. People of my "persuasion." I am a "passive bigot". The day I am "supposedly" awaiting. Are you insulting just my intelligence or the intelligence of every poster here?
    I believe a view of society driven by a philosophical belief can be "passive bigotry", without the individual being a bigot/racist/hate monger.

Neil, you are a bright guy. At least give me (and everyone else here) a smidgen of credit as well for seeing what you are saying.
    You continual shift the conversation to something else. You are either uncomfortable with what I am saying, or don't want to have the debate on that level... or you don't know what I am saying.

This conversation is boring me. I willingly give you the last word. Feel free to declare victory as you are wont to do and if you want to talk football, let me know.
    No victory needed.

Football: Does Sam fit a role in the present Steeler defense?

As much as we’d all like to believe that a person’s decision to come out as gay is a non-issue in 2014, it is. For some, it’s a very big issue.

Michael Sam already has found that out, based on his own father’s reaction to the news that Sam is gay. Michael Sam Sr. tells the New York Times that he learned of his son’s sexual orientation last Tuesday, and that Sam Sr. has been struggling with the revelation.

The news came via a three-word text message — “Dad, I’m gay” — received while Sam Sr. was eating at Denny’s.

“I couldn’t eat no more, so I went to Applebee’s to have drinks,” Sam Sr. said. “I don’t want my grand kids raised in that kind of environment.”

Sam Sr. explained that he’s “old school . . . a man-and-a-woman type of guy.” To illustrate the point, Sam Sr. said he took one of his older sons to Mexico so that he could lose his virginity.

As the icing on the cake, Sam Sr. said that Hall of Famer Deacon Jones “is turning over in his grave” at the prospect of an openly gay player in the NFL.

And that’s coming from the father of the NFL’s first openly gay player. We can predict and we can hope and we can wish that there won’t be problems for Michael Sam, but he’s already got a problem in his immediate family. There surely will be strangers who feel the same way — and who express those views.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ns-revelation/

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    As much as we’d all like to believe that a person’s decision to come out as gay is a non-issue in 2014, it is. For some, it’s a very big issue.

Michael Sam already has found that out, based on his own father’s reaction to the news that Sam is gay. Michael Sam Sr. tells the New York Times that he learned of his son’s sexual orientation last Tuesday, and that Sam Sr. has been struggling with the revelation.

The news came via a three-word text message — “Dad, I’m gay” — received while Sam Sr. was eating at Denny’s.

“I couldn’t eat no more, so I went to Applebee’s to have drinks,” Sam Sr. said. “I don’t want my grand kids raised in that kind of environment.”

Sam Sr. explained that he’s “old school . . . a man-and-a-woman type of guy.” To illustrate the point, Sam Sr. said he took one of his older sons to Mexico so that he could lose his virginity.

As the icing on the cake, Sam Sr. said that Hall of Famer Deacon Jones “is turning over in his grave” at the prospect of an openly gay player in the NFL.

And that’s coming from the father of the NFL’s first openly gay player. We can predict and we can hope and we can wish that there won’t be problems for Michael Sam, but he’s already got a problem in his immediate family. There surely will be strangers who feel the same way — and who express those views.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ns-revelation/
    That's odd because I heard a conflicting story that Sam had already come out to his parents around the same time he told his teammates at Mizzou, and that they had the same reaction, that they already knew and were glad he finally said it. I'm pretty sure that's what I read; maybe it was just his mother?

With the inclusion of Denny's and Applebee's it sounds more like some free advertising. Oh and newsflash senior, if your son is gay, you just might not have to worry about grandchildren.
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    And I have EVERY Steelers game on tape going back 20 years BEFORE Terry Bradshaw even picked up a football.

Sam is smart, he knows if he cant make it long term in the NFL, him being gay, will have him on the tv as a commentator overnight.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Sam is smart, he knows if he cant make it long term in the NFL, him being gay, will have him on the tv as a commentator overnight.
    On the Bravo channel.......

My Mood
    Addicted
    I do think it was a calculated move on his part.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    I do think it was a calculated move on his part.
    If it was calculated, then he's as dumb as a bag of rocks too.

Because he should have kept this quite from his college team to his pro team. And in his second year in the NFL, he could have came out. Why do this and slide down the draft board losing millions of dollars?? This "want" to come out is not more important then properly securing your family's financial future. Few things are.

Plus..if he would have came in and became a good player and came out, that would go a longer way in doing what he's trying to do. He's stupid to me. Get the freakin money first. Most likely (like most players who get drafted) this may probably be his only contract; So why mess it up?

In my opinion, either he gets drafted in the last round or maybe not at all. Teams do not want this distraction. And the fans will be merciless on him and his team is going to be forced to defend him. This just puts his team in a bad, bad, position.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Addicted

Re: Missouri DE Michael Sam: "I am an openly, proud gay man"

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    If it was calculated, then he's as dumb as a bag of rocks too.

Because he should have kept this quite from his college team to his pro team. And in his second year in the NFL, he could have came out. Why do this and slide down the draft board losing millions of dollars?? This "want" to come out is not more important then properly securing your family's financial future. Few things are.

Plus..if he would have came in and became a good player and came out, that would go a longer way in doing what he's trying to do. He's stupid to me. Get the freakin money first. Most likely (like most players who get drafted) this may probably be his only contract; So why mess it up?

In my opinion, either he gets drafted in the last round or maybe not at all. Teams do not want this distraction. And the fans will be merciless on him and his team is going to be forced to defend him. This just puts his team in a bad, bad, position.
    If Manti T'eo can get drafted after his ordeal, Sam won't have a problem...it's 2014

I've read all the pissing contests you've had with NPB and others...and I'm seeing why you get **** on a lot...everything you just posted was straight retarded

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    And herein lies the problem. Neither you nor the press will know whether he dropped in the draft (IF he does)because of his orientation or because teams liked other players better, but you will pretend to. Every dirty hit against him, rookie hazing, failure on the field, every perceived slight by the front office, fan voting (for things like Pro Bowl), contract dispute, etc. will be portrayed as him fighting for his equality. Evidence is not necessary, just a perception. IF he drops significantly and evidence comes out that it was because of race, screw the team(s) balls to the wall. IF his players haze him any more than the next player and solid evidence comes out that it is because he is gay, screw the players' balls to the wall. IF fans commit criminal conduct (death threats, etc.) toward him, throw the book at them. The problem is that you and the press are already writing his story before it even begins.
    Perfectly stated!

Sam deserves the pariah status he will ultimately get for using his orientation, on the NFL stage, to get him somewhere his NFL talents couldn't.
    Last edited by Stone; 02-19-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Thread Information