Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clark Says Steelers Use Pot

Bookmark and Share

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    There is no debate. Marijuana is illegal in this country. Even those people smoking in states which allow it are still breaking Federal law. It will never be approved by the NFL until/if the Feds change the statutes. It is a dead issue until then.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well, that could explain our play the last 2 seasons.

Drug test 'em all.

Starter
    My Mood
    Cool
    CHucktown I'm sure it's just not the steelers players using it. But idiot Clark has to bring on a bad light specifically on the steelers. Like we need it, especially with steeler hater Adolf Goodell. I wonder what would have become of clark had he stayed with redskins? Where did he get his super bowl rings? How about just moving forward and thanking the organization for giving you the opportunity of being a player in the nfl. I use a guy like Jim miller as an example. Got his start with the steelers. Never pawned out, but was a starter elsewhere. Never hear him bad mouthing the steelers.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    There is no debate. Marijuana is illegal in this country. Even those people smoking in states which allow it are still breaking Federal law. It will never be approved by the NFL until/if the Feds change the statutes. It is a dead issue until then.
    Marijuana with relation to the NFL, has to do with testing... and testing only. And as Clark referred to, that testing is something that the league and union collectively bargained over.... so there is some random testing early in camp/pre-season... and that's that. Of course the NFL won't/doesn't have to "approve" marijuana use... the only relevant piece of the NFL/Marijuana argument is around testing. The NFL can simply choose to ignore it, like every other "entertainment" businesses in America.

to say there is no debate is funny... since collective bargaining is a debate in and of itself. and outside of the NFL/NFLPA aspect, there clearly is a debate going on in this country with regards to marijuana laws.

note: i dont use marijuana, but i find it's prohibition to be a complete and total disaster for this country. and with states starting to change their laws, it's only a matter of time for this failed prohibition is ended.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Info needs to be verified by a link. Nice try.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    Marijuana with relation to the NFL, has to do with testing... and testing only. And as Clark referred to, that testing is something that the league and union collectively bargained over.... so there is some random testing early in camp/pre-season... and that's that. Of course the NFL won't/doesn't have to "approve" marijuana use... the only relevant piece of the NFL/Marijuana argument is around testing. The NFL can simply choose to ignore it, like every other "entertainment" businesses in America.

to say there is no debate is funny... since collective bargaining is a debate in and of itself. and outside of the NFL/NFLPA aspect, there clearly is a debate going on in this country with regards to marijuana laws.

note: i dont use marijuana, but i find it's prohibition to be a complete and total disaster for this country. and with states starting to change their laws, it's only a matter of time for this failed prohibition is ended.
    You missed my point. The "debate" I was referring to was whether or not the NFL would essentially "approve" the substance as Clark and Cromartie would have it. There is no debate. It is an illegal substance in all 50 states (Federal supremacy) and the NFL will have a stance against it (at least outwardly) until it becomes legal.

How it is tested, how often, and punishments are certainly up for debate with the NFLPA.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Assistant Coach

Clark Says Steelers Use Pot

You missed my point. The "debate" I was referring to was whether or not the NFL would essentially "approve" the substance as Clark and Cromartie would have it. There is no debate. It is an illegal substance in all 50 states (Federal supremacy) and the NFL will have a stance against it (at least outwardly) until it becomes legal.

How it is tested, how often, and punishments are certainly up for debate with the NFLPA.
    The NFL could very easily move its stance from BS posturing (for the sake of appearances, that the entire league of players knows how to beat) to leaving marijuana prohibition laws to the legal entities meant to enforce said laws.

My Mood
    Ratbirds

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    The NFL could very easily move its stance from BS posturing (for the sake of appearances, that the entire league of players knows how to beat) to leaving marijuana prohibition laws to the legal entities meant to enforce said laws.
    No way. The NFL is too politically savvy (not to mention, PR minded) to ever even give a whiff of looking like it supports drug use in any way, shape, or form.

Assistant Coach
    No way. The NFL is too politically savvy (not to mention, PR minded) to ever even give a whiff of looking like it supports drug use in any way, shape, or form.
    nonsense, they gave a huge massive whiff in the new collective bargaining agreement, when they agreed to one random test in training camp and no subsequent testing... that's exactly what a whiff of "we dont really give a ****" smells like....the NFL, like any other business that makes it's money off it's talent, doesn't intend to have something as stupid as marijuana get in the way of it's product. and the reality is... no one cares.

Marijuana testing does nothing... it's for show... and that show is performed for such a small, insignificant constituency. Those who truly think this is important, care about it, and would stop being a customer of the sport if they changed their testing... frankly those people wouldn't even know if they stopped testing.

If a player gets arrested for possession or any other related crime, they would be suspended for committing a felony. Anything else is completely unnecessary...

The players are making a coordinated stink about it right now... because they probably know that the NFL can't become MORE stringent with it's testing, unless it wants to start suspending the majority of the league.

My Mood
    Ratbirds

I AGREE that the NFL policy for pot testing is a joke. It is a fig leaf, nothing more. That said, they will keep that fig leaf so the headlines for the "Play 60" league do not read that it supports an illegal and unhealthy substance.

The drug is illegal nationwide (federally) and in almost every state. Although most of these people do not care about football, if only a small and insignificant minority disapproved of pot, it would be legal in far more jurisdictions.

Thread Information