Thread: QB's and Cap hits

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach

QB's and Cap hits

It's pretty interesting that along with the skyrocketing cost of a franchise QB (in terms of dollars/cap space), that the trend in Super Bowl winners is pre-mega contract QB

2013 - Wilson just won with an 800k cap hit
    2012 - Flacco won with a 6.8 cap hit (and Kaep/Smith combined for a cap hit under 10 that year)
    2011 - Even Eli was only eating up 14, when he won his 2nd... and that's the highest won of the last 10 years from a cost to cap ratio....
    2010 - Rodgers was only 9 million...
    2009 - New Orleans, Bree was only 9 million...
    2008 - Ben was only 6 million...
    - the salary cap in 2008 was 116 million. so to put things in context, Ben was taking up 5-6% of the cap... where as today, he is set to take up 15% of the cap.
    2007 - Eli was on his rookie contract still
    2006 - Even Peyton was only counting 8.55 in cap when he won the big one
    2005 - Ben, 2nd year of rookie contract
    2004 - Brady, pre mega contracts

These are all great QBs, but there is one common theme here... and it's that they won their super bowl(s) BEFORE their salaries/cap hits/contracts sky rocketed into the big double figures that are common later in their career...

And when there is all this discussion about how much better the talent on Seattle is... remember, that Wilson, Sherman, Baldwin, Kearse, and Tate.... were taking up 2.8% of their cap. COMBINED. And they can go out and add Avril, Bennet, and Harvin BECAUSE of it.

So far, no QB has been able to overcome the talent drain their post super bowl contracts put on their franchises (Peyton came close this year)

There's going to be a talent drain in Denver this year... Green Bay is just starting to experience it... Seattle has a year or 2 before they will feel it...

Player costs are rising far faster than the cap... long term dynasties are impossible.... a top tier franchise QB can keep you in the playoff picture... but simulaneously, his contract drains the team of the supplemental talent.
    My Steeler Mock Draft
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB Mich St
    2. Allen Robinson, WR Penn St
    3. Carl Bradford, OLB Arizona St
    4. Martavis Bryant, WR Clemson
    5a. Brent Urban, DE Virginia
    5b. Kevin Pierre-Louis, ILB Boston College
    6. Dontae Johnson, CB North Carolina St
    7. Zach Kerr, NT Delaware

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I do not believe there is any doubt about this. It is a double-edged sword. Having a franchise QB versus having to pay him.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Yea when you have to pay the franchise QB then the rest of the has to take sacrifices at other positions.......Wilson's price tag just went up to when his rookie contract is up since he is a Super Bowl winning QB now.....Just 8 starting QBs, have won a Super Bowl......Brady, Roethlisberger, Flacco, P. Manning, E. Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson.......

My Mood
    Addicted
    Interesting, very interesting.

Veteran
    My Mood
    Blah
    Well, the cheaper the QB, the more you can spend on other positions. Seattle won with that smothering defense, which will be hard to keep together once those guys start hitting FA. Will be interesting to watch.

Thread Information