Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's up to the Steeler Organization............

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    You can win in the NFL with more than one scheme. Even if we take your premise that the Seahawks scheme is better, there is little doubt that actual talent is the bigger issue.
    While this is true, it's hard to deny the Steelers defense has been way too passive.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    While this is true, it's hard to deny the Steelers defense has been way too passive.
    Yes and no. Is it maddening to see a cushion all of the time? Yes. However, being aggressive means getting to the QB. We just do not have the front 7 to get it done consistently. We also do not have the lock down DBs all over the field who can stay with people until the someone finally decides to get to the QB. No pass rush plus CBs playing at the LOS means disaster.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Neil, please name the defensive players on the Steelers (ignore scheme, just talent) who could start for the Seahawks.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Banned
    Neil, please name the defensive players on the Steelers (ignore scheme, just talent) who could start for the Seahawks.
    I don't want to.... it's a losing argument due to perception. lol. but I'll do it for you (i mean me, because I asked myself)

(Notice, I am saying "in", not "over")
    I think Hood could start in the Mebane/Undertackle role
    I think Heyward could start in the Bryant/5-Tech role
    I think Woodley/Jarvis could start in the Bennett/Clemons/Avril edge rush role (stupidly unfair depth)
    I think Worrilds could start in the Irvin/Jet OLB role
    I think Timmons could start in the Wagner/MLB role or Smith/SLB role

I think Keenan Lewis could start in the Sherman/Shutdown Man2Man (i know Keenan doesn't count)
    I think Clark/Troy could start in the Kam/Box Safety role

We have no one to play the Earl/Cover 1 FS role... that's for sure.

I won't say any of these guys would start over the other... it's a fruitless action. But we are NOT vastly behind Seattle in TALENT, we are vastly behind them in scheme.

Banned
    Yes and no. Is it maddening to see a cushion all of the time? Yes. However, being aggressive means getting to the QB. We just do not have the front 7 to get it done consistently. We also do not have the lock down DBs all over the field who can stay with people until the someone finally decides to get to the QB. No pass rush plus CBs playing at the LOS means disaster.
    I think the move to more zone blocking in pass protection and the growth of the QB position make it MUCH more about scheme then talent.

We don't ask guys to win their 1 on 1 matchups as a unit, we ask them to create a singular 1 on 1 matchup to our advantage... that is primarily why our pass rush has fallen off the face of the earth... because offenses have adjusted to what we did to dominate. We were the perrenial Defense in the 1st half of the decade.... team's adjust to that.

Just like team's adjusted to the dominant patriots offense... or the dominant tampa cover 2.

The difference is teams like the Pats constantly reinvent themselves, and that's why they are ALWAYS relevant, because by the time teams identify the adjustments, they are doing something different

the Steelers defense has not adjusted enough schematically to remain relevant.... and if they continue to believe it is an issue of talent, they will continue to fail.

True as Pats players come and go. But also they do reinvent themselves. And also they have Belichick to thank over it!
    Sochi Olympics 2014!

We need to press the los, go man to man, get rid of the zone crap and let worilds and jones hit the qb...

Then Timmons and Mosley will be able to sack a few qb's.

My Mood
    Addicted
    All teams are drafting much better than years gone past. More teams are playing 3-4.

it ain't always about the X's and O's, it's more about the Jimmy's and Joe's
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis has just left the building!

Thread Information