Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prospect of the Day - Louis Nix III

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Prospect of the Day - Louis Nix III

I wanted to start doing some of these to get some breakdowns of prospects as the offseason goes on. Please feel free to add thoughts and make requests for future breakdowns.

Louis Nix III, NT from Notre Dame.

I am not usually a huge fan of Irish defensive players, many seem to underwhelm in the pros but I dont think Nixs is that type of player. When looking at him as a 34 NT he is an absolutely exceptional fit in that he can play zero technique and eat up blockers but he is also very quick and explosive for being around 340 pounds.

Casey Hampton did not have his kind of quickness, casey was explosive off the snap like him though and thats what made him a special NT, Nix provides the same type of anchoring but also addsa a pass rushing dynamic that casey did not have. He has a mean bull rush and is relentless in pursuit. Something i notice about him as well is he often gets his hands up in passing lanes, an underrated quality in defensive lineman.

He plays low or a 6-3 NT which lets him win battles and not get out leveraged while being an anchor. One of his most impressive qualities is the ability to explode through gaps on running plays and hit the RB in the backfield.

He reminds me of wilfork in size and playing style (not 390 pound wilfork but wilfork out of miami) and hes a similar athlete to Dontari Poe though he likely wont be running an incredible 40. Hes not just a 2 down run stuffer, hes a rare breed of NT and adds something to the pass rush whether it is himself rumbling after the QB or freeing up other players.

Projection: top 20 pick

Assistant Coach
    I'm really looking forward to more of these!

FYI Your PM inbox is full and you cannot receive private messages
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

Inbox is cleaned out

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Nix will be the Steelers first round pick no doubt in my mind........

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Nix will be the Steelers first round pick no doubt in my mind........
    I can only hope. Thanks K, looking forward to these as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    And I have EVERY Steelers game on tape going back 20 years BEFORE Terry Bradshaw even picked up a football.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityShaker View Post
    I can only hope. Thanks K, looking forward to these as well.
    I see the Steelers going NT, corner, and safety with their first three picks.....But OLB is a huge need considering Worilds might not be resigned and you can't count on Woodley anymore......

I don't care really who the Steelers draft just as long they're smart with the picks...Personally I want to see a WR or TE early but if the Steelers draft damn good players for the defense then I'm ok with it....

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I see the Steelers going NT, corner, and safety with their first three picks.....But OLB is a huge need considering Worilds might not be resigned and you can't count on Woodley anymore......

I don't care really who the Steelers draft just as long they're smart with the picks...Personally I want to see a WR or TE early but if the Steelers draft damn good players for the defense then I'm ok with it....
    They can't fix all their needs. But it burns me up to see Evans just fall right to the Ravens.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Hes not perfect, and like all 340 pound players weight could be a concern as well as conditioning. He seems to carry the weight extremely well though, and he doesnt look like a fat slob like a lot of NT prospects. Very light on his feet.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Hes not perfect, and like all 340 pound players weight could be a concern as well as conditioning. He seems to carry the weight extremely well though, and he doesnt look like a fat slob like a lot of NT prospects. Very light on his feet.
    They guy just had knee surgery. I"m leary right now on him. But we'll see how his knee checks out probably at the combine.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    They guy just had knee surgery. I"m leary right now on him. But we'll see how his knee checks out probably at the combine.
    Leery of meniscus surgery? Minor stuff. Ben has had it done on both knees.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Thread Information