Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach

Steelers Mock

Assuming we are drafting mid round
    Assuming we get a 3rd compensatory for Wallace
    Assuming we get a 5th compensatory for Lewis
    Assuming we any other Comps, are confiscated

1st - WR Kelvin Benjamin FSU or Mike Evans Texas A&M
    - This offense is ready to go to the next level. Getting a monster WR is the key.

2nd - DT Ego Ferguson LSU
    - He's not going to be ready to start as a rookie, so bridging the gap with McClendon/Woods/Fang is necessary. Ego is far more of a disuptor than any NT we've had. He's worth the risk.

3rd (comp) - DE Deandre Coleman California
    - This is probably more of a wish, than a reality. He's got more upside than Cameron Jordan did coming out of the same system. Long term, a Heyward-Ferguson-Coleman line could be franchise changing.

4th - - FS Kenny Ladler Vanderbilt
    - We've ignored adding a playmaker to the deep secondary for too long. Ii think Ha Ha is a legit option in the 1st. Unfortunately this draft class doesn't provide much in terms of depth in the mid rounds. And it's always hard to project where safeties will go. Ladler is my favorite FS prospect outside of HaHa. He's a well developed player, who would make immediate contributions on special teams, and could be ready to start quickly.

5th - DE/OLB James Gayle Virginia Tech
    - He's definitely a guy that will looked at as a 3-4 OLB convert, or someone who will play the rover, von miller style as a 4-3 SLB/DE. He's got what cant be taught, speed and explosion off the line. He's still pretty raw and has no idea what to do with his hands, and h

5th - TE Jacob Pederson Wisconsin
    - Very similar to Garret Graham (another former badger). Not the ideal size, not going to be a beast in the blocking game... but he is crisp and athletic in his routes, with the ability to run those underneath checkdowns, jerk routes, and zone crushing crossing patterns.

6th - CB Nevin Lawson Utah St
    - We need to add guys with ball skills. I've only seen this guy play one game, but he was all over the field breaking up plays.

7th - WR Shaquille Evans UCLA
    - He definitely reminds me of Antonio Brown in the "he's always open" sense. The guy works so good in traffic.
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post

- This offense is ready to go to the next level. Getting a monster WR is the key.

- He's not going to be ready to start as a rookie, so bridging the gap with McClendon/Woods/Fang is necessary. Ego is far more of a disuptor than any NT we've had. He's worth the risk.

- This is probably more of a wish, than a reality. He's got more upside than Cameron Jordan did coming out of the same system. Long term, a Heyward-Ferguson-Coleman line could be franchise changing.

- We've ignored adding a playmaker to the deep secondary for too long. Ii think Ha Ha is a legit option in the 1st. Unfortunately this draft class doesn't provide much in terms of depth in the mid rounds. And it's always hard to project where safeties will go. Ladler is my favorite FS prospect outside of HaHa. He's a well developed player, who would make immediate contributions on special teams, and could be ready to start quickly.

- He's definitely a guy that will looked at as a 3-4 OLB convert, or someone who will play the rover, von miller style as a 4-3 SLB/DE. He's got what cant be taught, speed and explosion off the line. He's still pretty raw and has no idea what to do with his hands, and h

- Very similar to Garret Graham (another former badger). Not the ideal size, not going to be a beast in the blocking game... but he is crisp and athletic in his routes, with the ability to run those underneath checkdowns, jerk routes, and zone crushing crossing patterns.

- We need to add guys with ball skills. I've only seen this guy play one game, but he was all over the field breaking up plays.

- He definitely reminds me of Antonio Brown in the "he's always open" sense. The guy works so good in traffic.
    I went a little out of the ordinary here. Realistically could be dropping every player a full round from where they will actually be, but until i see a full list of declares its tough to project

1) Justin Gilbert, CB OKlahoma State
    Not very often the top CB in the draft is available when the steelers pick, i think this is the year they jump on it. Ike will likely be let go (or take a massive paycut) but theres no denying his decline, once easily one of the top CBs in the league he has been shaky this season. I do like the emergence of Cortez Allen. Gilbert is a pick machine, has the size to play bump and run and the fluidity to stay on a WRs hip. Reminds me a little of Jimmy Smith, who has really come on strong to be a star corner for the ravens. Gilbert is a much more disciplined CB than he was in 2012, and i think if he and IOE are on the board the right pick is gilbert, the slower but more refined and technically sound CB.

2) Mike Evans, WR Texas A&M
    Some think hes a first round pick but if theres anything to be learned from the last few years its that time means the world in evaluating WRs even though it really doesnt matter as much as we want it to. Evans is supremely talented but that doesnt take away from the fact that he is very young (would probably be the top WR in 2016) but hes going to have some learning curves, going to have to get stronger, and he is likely not going to time very well. As Alshon Jeffrey, Vincent Jackson, and Keenan Allen, Malcolm Kelly, Dwayne Jarrett, Anquan Boldin, and Limas Sweed have all shown, bigger bodied type WRs without top end speed tend to slip a little in the draft and theres a few WRs out there that are going to be more pro ready from the start than evans. We also like the young players (Hood, Timmons, Pouncey, Bell.....all very young)

3) Ray Drew, DE Georgia
    He was a backup last year but was an absolute beast this season racking up 6 sacks and a lot of QB pressures from a 34 DE position. He is very quick and strong, i suggest watching him vs tiny in the auburn game...you will see what i mean. Could be selected a round higher than this, but for now this is about where his value is. Reminds me a bit of a more refined allen bailey from a few years back. A DE that is built more like a ginormous linebacker

4) Seantrel Henderson, OT Miami
    Might catch some **** for this pick, but right now im going with high value here in the 4th round (3rd/4th round is definitely realistic for him at this point). Henderson is maddeningly inconsistent and has battled some injuries but when hes at his best he reminds me so much of Jared Gaither when gaither was among the best tackles in the league. At 6-8 345 he is a monster and has the length to absolutely dominate in zone blocking schemes. I do believe Mike Adams has a future on the team, but in my opinion when looking for tackles to play in this offense their size and length is one of the most important qualities. This pick is questionable because of the decisions that would have to be made...would pouncey be brought back? Would adams still be considered for a starting spot? Could adams slide into guard and play like Alex Boone plays for the niners as a 6-8 guard? Where does beachem fit, is he a legit starter on the outside? Should he be kicked into LG, or is he a swing guy? Does gilbert have a future on the team? Gotta strike gold with an oline combo eventually.

5) Larry Webster, OLB/DE Bloomsburg
    Small school prospect, a definite sleeper heading into the offseason. I have a lot of friends that graduated from bloomsburg, the only NFL player i can think of from there is saints guard Jhari Evans. Webster is about 6-6 or 6-7 and 250, not really a step in right away caliber player but someone who can rush the passer and learn to bend the edge. Former basketball player, who the hell knows maybe he'll move to TE and be our cliche basktball player pass catcher
    Last edited by K Train; 12-24-2013 at 12:03 PM.

2nd String

I love Benjamin or Watkins either one has to be our 1st pick, Offense is the key now adays , and I'm not a huge fan of Mike Evans I think he benefited a lot from Money Manziel Alot (Yes I know it could be switched around and could say Manziel benefited from having this huge target to throw too)

Haven't really watched any LSU this yr , but I'm just not sure a NT is that big of a need other some of these other needs

I like Coleman , but I think it's a little early for him , but hey if you like the guy you take the guy

Check out Marqueston Huff , from Wyoming ... Think Tashaun Gipson from Cleveland , but with more Athletic gifts ... Huff is expected to run in the 4.4s used to play CB , and made the transition to Safety with over 100 tackles this yr ... this guy WILL be a steal for who ever gets him

comments in bold ... didn't go passed 4th , as who knows who will be there and not much but depth and developmental guys

2nd String
    Here a quick one

1 - Watkins / Benjamin
    2 - Kyle Fuller , CB , VaTech
    3rd comp - Sean Hickey , OL , Syracuse - would be moved to LG if he declares
    4th - Marqueston Huff , S , Wyoming
    5th - Ryan Carrethers , NT , Arkansas State
    5th - Andre Hall , CB , Vanderbilt
    6th - Patrick O'Donnell , P , Miami
    Not going to act like the 7th matters , or that I really know a whole lot about some of these guys

Coleman won't be there in the 4th IMO so I don't think that's high for him at all

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
    comments in bold ... didn't go passed 4th , as who knows who will be there and not much but depth and developmental guys
    couple simple comments:
    - Watkins will be long gone before we pick
    - Our D Line has 1 competent starter under contract next year. NT/DE are absolute needs at this time
    (Keisel UFA, Woods UFA, Hood UFA, McClendon Absolute Garbage)

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Coleman won't be there in the 4th IMO so I don't think that's high for him at all
    Yea, I didn't think he'd be there in the 3rd... but loved the idea of DT/DE in 2nd and 3rd, and they are 2 of my favorite non 1sts...

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
    Here a quick one

1 - Watkins / Benjamin
    2 - Kyle Fuller , CB , VaTech
    3rd comp - Sean Hickey , OL , Syracuse - would be moved to LG if he declares
    4th - Marqueston Huff , S , Wyoming
    5th - Ryan Carrethers , NT , Arkansas State
    5th - Andre Hall , CB , Vanderbilt
    6th - Patrick O'Donnell , P , Miami
    Not going to act like the 7th matters , or that I really know a whole lot about some of these guys
    Love Carrethers in the 5th.
    Fuller in the 2nd seems like a reach.

2nd String
    Love Carrethers in the 5th.
    Fuller in the 2nd seems like a reach.
    you're not a Fuller fan?

I got Fuller as 4th so far in my CB rankings

Dennard
    Ifo
    Gilbert