Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Trading down for value

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I guess we're going to have to disagree. I just put stock into when you look at all the teams that run the 3-4 or some 3-4 their DE's are usually from 6-3 to 6-7. Canty from Dallas was the tallest at 6-7. If Okoye was 6-3 then I could maybe see him as a DE in a 3-4 but he is only around 6-1 /6-2. Not to say he can't line up as a DE in a 3-4 just saying for Okoye to be fully effective it would be best for him to play NT in a 3-4 and a one gap DT in a 4-3 .
    but with a 3-4 coach and a coach who used 4-3 most of his career, we have to realize we arent married to either one and the key here is to come up with something special that we could run to perfection and if we get a force like okoye then im pretty sure we'd be in good shape....keep in mind hes bringing his weight up and how strong the guy is. he will thrive in a defense somewhere especially one with coaches who play defense like ours.

If Okoye was 6-3 then I could maybe see him as a DE in a 3-4 but he is only around 6-1 /6-2
    btw this statement is ridiculous....we are talking about this much height

l------------------l
    its only 2 inches

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I think everyone is so used to having DE's that are tall that the idea of a 6-1 DE is unimaginable. The athleticism and speed of Okoye is actually quite unbeliveable. He played at over 320lbs at Louisville, recently dropped to 287 for the Senior Bowl and still had the speed, stamina and the bull rush. Just a thought but who's to say he can't play DE? He still has room to grow and learn so all I'm sayin is the skys the limit for this kid. Wherever he goes I hope someone uses his potential to good use.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard

Would agree on Calvin Johnson!

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I agree both Okoye and Thomas are worth trading up for. I would also include Calvin Johnson in that group but the Steelers don't have the need for a WR.
    But like you said we really don't need a wideout! In fact Cedric might even be a cap casualty. Those were the only two guys who I feel could help fill Steeler needs worth trading up for!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
    but with a 3-4 coach and a coach who used 4-3 most of his career, we have to realize we arent married to either one and the key here is to come up with something special that we could run to perfection and if we get a force like okoye then im pretty sure we'd be in good shape....keep in mind hes bringing his weight up and how strong the guy is. he will thrive in a defense somewhere especially one with coaches who play defense like ours.

btw this statement is ridiculous....we are talking about this much height

l------------------l
    its only 2 inches
    You keep thinking what you want thats fine and I really don't care. Just saying there is reasons why 3-4 teams look for players at a certain height and weight for certain positions. Which the general ht for a 3-4 DE is around 6-5 and the general wt is around 290-300 pounds.

Most seem to think that Okoye due to his lack of ht is best suited for NT in a 3-4 and a one gap DT in a 4-3. But like I said think what you want its a free country. I'm done with this topic since I know I'm right.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    As far as Thomas goes, he might just go in the top 5. Depending on what happens in Detroit, theres a rumor goin around that Martz and Millen and Marinelli are having squabbles about whether to get a QB or not.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    I think everyone is so used to having DE's that are tall that the idea of a 6-1 DE is unimaginable. The athleticism and speed of Okoye is actually quite unbeliveable. He played at over 320lbs at Louisville, recently dropped to 287 for the Senior Bowl and still had the speed, stamina and the bull rush. Just a thought but who's to say he can't play DE? He still has room to grow and learn so all I'm sayin is the skys the limit for this kid. Wherever he goes I hope someone uses his potential to good use.
    I'm not talking about DE in a 4-3. I'm talking about DE in a 3-4. There is reasons why 3-4 teams look for their DE to be a certain ht and wt. Most seem to think due to Okoye's lack of ht he is better suited for NT in a 3-4 and a one gap DT in a 4-3. Not to say I wouldn't try the kid at DE if he was drafted. But I'm just going by the norm of typical 3-4 DE.

ok so your right huh? well thats good i guess. I guess because hes 2 inches shorter than a "typical DE", but beastly strong and fast and can play with leverage on his side. Good way to think. Teams dont draft players on their size if they just fit the mold of a "typical" player. I know i guy who is 6-8 and 330 pounds, he should be drafted because of his size and based on only that....hes a huge guy but hes dumb as **** and never played football before. But i guess hes similar in size to henderson and stroud he has first round pick all over him.

I actually think with an open mind about a player, not based on size but based on skill....the guy can play football period, he'll play anywhere on a defensive line and he'll do it good, hes already so good and his work ethic is unmatched.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
    ok so your right huh? well thats good i guess. I guess because hes 2 inches shorter than a "typical DE", but beastly strong and fast and can play with leverage on his side. Good way to think. Teams dont draft players on their size if they just fit the mold of a "typical" player. I know i guy who is 6-8 and 330 pounds, he should be drafted because of his size and based on only that....hes a huge guy but hes dumb as **** and never played football before. But i guess hes similar in size to henderson and stroud he has first round pick all over him.

I actually think with an open mind about a player, not based on size but based on skill....the guy can play football period, he'll play anywhere on a defensive line and he'll do it good, hes already so good and his work ethic is unmatched.

I havn't read one thing on Okoye that he would fit well as a DE in a 3-4 and from what I saw of him the last few years leads me to agree with that. I never said that he wasn't going to be a badass player just don't think he is a good fit for a 3-4 DE.

As for teams that don't draft players on their size to fit their schemes. You're kidding right? Why do you think 3-4 teams always look for their DE to be a certain ht and wt? Same goes for OLB in a 3-4. So it does matter.

im not saying size isnt important at all, i just think its overrated because without skill and good form your size means nothing.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    if size was overrated in the 3-4, then how come teams that use the 3-4 don't use smaller DE's, i'm sure there players that are more talented that could use if it didn't matter..........
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Thread Information