Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trading down for value

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Train has a point, the chances of us getting him are pretty remote IMO, unless we're willing to trade up so all this prognosticating will probably be for not, but it is nice to dream and maybe something will happen

Gold Standard

Only a couple teams would need to pass on him!

Quote Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
    ...okoye would be a massive mismatch with an offensive line just because of how strong he his....if you saw the senior bowl you saw an unblockable defensive lineman playing against some of the best offensive players. Hes the kind of player who will thrive in any defense, he needs to put some weight back on but then again its been said before....hes only 19.
    It is possible that he falls to us and it is exciting thinking of the matchup problems he and Casey would cause those O-lineman!

We aren't worried about most of these teams grabbing him because of their draft priorities. For example it would not serve the Raiders well to choose a DT when they were the lowest scoring offense in the league.....they need a QB. Atlanta needs a #1 wideout. Texans need a feature RB. When you rule out the teams with other immediate needs it is highly probable that Okoye could fall to us! We are probably only talking about 2 or 3 teams that might consider him before us. Im sure Gruden would love to draft him but his team really needs a #1 wideout as well!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Denver and Cincy are 2 teams that could potentially trade up for him. Washington, Buffalo and Tampa could all use him too even though they have other needs. If those teams see him falling to them or get a chance to trade up they could jump on it.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I'm thinking the Dolphins go for Akoye or they could possibly trade down for another pick. Just because Akoye is only 6' 1" doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot. A couple of you covered this already but he has the strength and the quickness to over come his height. He will be a force to be reckoned with, I just hope we don't have to face him to often if he goes elsewhere. As far as a 3-4 or a 4-3 and who fits where, it'll be interesting to see what Tomlin does with our talent. He is the one that says play your schemes to your talent. You get some DC's who try and fit a round peg into a square hole, it ain't going to work. We'll also see how he is in analyzing everyones strengths and weaknesses. I'm feeling something very unique happening with the Steelers D over the next couple of seasons.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard

Much better chance of Okoye falling to us than Joe Thomas!

Here are a few names who could go before Okoye

Jemarcus Russell
    Brady Quinn
    Joe Thomas
    Calvin Johnson
    Adrian Peterson
    Alan Branch
    Tedd Ginn Jr.
    Dwayne Jarrett
    Levi Brown
    Marshawn Lynch
    LaRon Landry

As excited as we are at the prospect of seeing Okoye in black and gold, other teams are likely to be salivating at the idea of landing some of these other guys! Like Carolina doesn't need a D-lineman, they need a linebacker! I think Miami, Washington, S.F and St Louis are teams likely to go with a D-lineman. But on all the boards Alan Branch is projected to go higher than Okoye! So who knows? Like I said, only a couple teams would need to pass for him to fall to us. And after the NFL combines these names of top 20 players could get reshuffled again!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im anxious to see the combine this year, more than previous years because there's so much talent to be had before and right around the area that we pick. We have a great chance to land an awesome talent in the first round no matter what we do, and I want to see what the Steelers and their staff think of all these guys at the combine.

Gold Standard

IMO only 2 guys worth trading up for!

Amobi Okoye DT and Joe Thomas OT. These two guys would be worth trading up for IMO! Either one of these guys could start as a rookie and make significant contributions! With the compensatory picks we get this year we won't keep all these guys on our 53 man roster anyway so may as well get quality over quantity! If we can't get one of these guys I think we would get better value for our picks by trading down! Each pick in the draft has an expected contract value attached to it so you don't want to overpay a guy who you could have had for less! That would be like voluntarily paying $5.00 a gallon for gas when the station across the street has it for $2.15 I don't see any other high profile names in the top 20 worthy of 15th spot cash that we would want!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'll take quality of quantity anyday. Especially in our situation where we have such a talented roster as it is, going out and getting a bunch of "potential or project" guys doesn't make sense for us. If we can trade up to get some quality players either in the first round or any other round, at the expense of later round or compensatory picks, Im all for it.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Amobi Okoye DT and Joe Thomas OT. These two guys would be worth trading up for IMO! Either one of these guys could start as a rookie and make significant contributions! With the compensatory picks we get this year we won't keep all these guys on our 53 man roster anyway so may as well get quality over quantity! If we can't get one of these guys I think we would get better value for our picks by trading down! Each pick in the draft has an expected contract value attached to it so you don't want to overpay a guy who you could have had for less! That would be like voluntarily paying $5.00 a gallon for gas when the station across the street has it for $2.15 I don't see any other high profile names in the top 20 worthy of 15th spot cash that we would want!
    I agree both Okoye and Thomas are worth trading up for. I would also include Calvin Johnson in that group but the Steelers don't have the need for a WR.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
    heres a little write up about the 2 schemes....but just because your "typical" end is a taller guy doesnt mean it has to be that way.

But height is overrated so much, Okoye would play tackle for a 4-3, and he would play end for a 3-4....if hampton takes up 2-3 blockers, smith is also taking up 1-2....okoye would be a massive mismatch with an offensive line just because of how strong he his....if you saw the senior bowl you saw an unblockable defensive lineman playing against some of the best offensive players. Hes the kind of player who will thrive in any defense, he needs to put some weight back on but then again its been said before....hes only 19.

but im not quite sure why im argueing were not getting him lol
    I guess we're going to have to disagree. I just put stock into when you look at all the teams that run the 3-4 or some 3-4 their DE's are usually from 6-3 to 6-7. Canty from Dallas was the tallest at 6-7. If Okoye was 6-3 then I could maybe see him as a DE in a 3-4 but he is only around 6-1 /6-2. Not to say he can't line up as a DE in a 3-4 just saying for Okoye to be fully effective it would be best for him to play NT in a 3-4 and a one gap DT in a 4-3 .

Thread Information