Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Roethlisberger's next contract could exceed $20M a year

Bookmark and Share

Report: Roethlisberger's next contract could exceed $20M a year

No one seen the Manning trade coming in Indy but it did. I can see this team dealing him!

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    No one seen the Manning trade coming in Indy but it did. I can see this team dealing him!
    I wouldn't be surprised if we went into full rebuild mode and move him.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

I said this numerous times. It is so rare anymore to see a player start out with a team and retire with the same team. Hines did it, but it doesn't happen to often. That's why I wouldn't be shocked if it did actually happen.

My Mood
    Patriotic
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    Maybe, maybe not but I like our chances with Ben over any other QB we could bring in here.
    This^
    Haters gonna hate, winners gonna win. Let the haters motivate.

Banned
    This is not Major League Baseball. There is a salary cap in place and the owners aren't a bunch of pushover idiots except for Jerry Jones. Players salaries cannot simply increase annually without a proportional increase to the cap. The cap increased $3 million this year as compared to last year? Is it even set to increase next season? What's the increase in 2015? 4 or 5 percent?

How can any player, let alone an older and physically beaten player like Roethlisberger demand $25 million a year with a $125-$130 million dollar cap? No one is paying that when teams can just dip into the draft every season.

A lot of speculation by bored reporters. I'll believe Roethlisberger asking for $25 a year when I see it.

Banned
    That's not true. Once it was known that Indy would have the first pick, a lot of people saw the trade coming, which is why the Roethlisberger trade rumors don't make a lot of sense right now. It's not as if the Steelers are 0-9. They will be lucky to get even a top five pick seeing as how many bad teams there are in the league.

Report: Roethlisberger's next contract could exceed $20M a year

Indy fans I'm saying were probably typing in a forum say no they'll never trade him. But they did.. They're asking him to change his ways and if he doesn't I'm sure that's it..

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    This is not Major League Baseball. There is a salary cap in place and the owners aren't a bunch of pushover idiots except for Jerry Jones. Players salaries cannot simply increase annually without a proportional increase to the cap. The cap increased $3 million this year as compared to last year? Is it even set to increase next season? What's the increase in 2015? 4 or 5 percent?
    That's nonsense. High end Player salaries have increased at a rate that far far far exceeds the growth in the cap. I'll try and find last year's SI article that specifically addressed this. What's happening, and has been happening for the last 6 years, is that high end players salaries are increasing at incredible rates, and the offset is that 2nd and 3rd tier players salaries are falling fast, to accomodate the cap.

your position... is just ill informed and wrong factually.

How can any player, let alone an older and physically beaten player like Roethlisberger demand $25 million a year with a $125-$130 million dollar cap? No one is paying that when teams can just dip into the draft every season.
    25 million is excessive, if that were over the long term.... if those WERE Ben's demands, it would be a clear indication that he wants out. But it's also important to note that the 25 million demand, was in the context of a 3 year EXTENSION. Given that the bonus of his previous contract has already been paid, and thus leaving on the salary of the final 2 seasons (12.1 & 11.6)....this 25 per extension would really be a:
    5 year : 98.7 million : 19.75 yearly average

so ACTUALLY.... a 3 year / 25 million extension is a pretty good middle ground for both teams to look at.

It turns his previous 8 year deal / 102 million / 25 guaranteed....
    into a 6 year deal 78.3 million dollar deal. (final 2 years of base salary removed... unpaid under the present contract)
    This would make his average earnings over the contract 13.05 million... which is actually MORE than the 12.25 he would have earned per year over the 8 year contract.

So now, you dump the base salary of the previous contract(12.1 & 11.6) into this new 5 year deal (really a 3 year extension) with the 25 per and you end up with a 5 year dea : 98.7 million : 19.75 yearly average. Which is a fair contract, that's RIGHT in Ben's value wheel house... and you do it in a way that avoids the dreaded "very late" years of his career.

The article put a lot more thought into it than I first realized.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Info needs to be verified by a link. Nice try.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    That's nonsense. High end Player salaries have increased at a rate that far far far exceeds the growth in the cap. I'll try and find last year's SI article that specifically addressed this. What's happening, and has been happening for the last 6 years, is that high end players salaries are increasing at incredible rates, and the offset is that 2nd and 3rd tier players salaries are falling fast, to accomodate the cap.

your position... is just ill informed and wrong factually.
    My position is not factually wrong unless you're a fortune teller. My position relates to the future, not whether or not something has occurred in the past. Time will tell if I'm wrong. You telling me I'm factually wrong now is as moronic as most of the things you say on this board.

It has happened in the past and the chickens have come home to roost for teams like Baltimore, Wasgington and Dallas who are or were stuck with a single overpriced player and no cap relief to chase after other pieces. Boldin had to be released to accommodate an overpriced QB contract and now the overpriced QB is unable to perform anwhere near his overpriced contract without the pieces that were sacrificed in order to accommodate his contract. And it's only going to get worse. Teams learn from the mistakes of others. They don't all follow one another off a cliff.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    It has happened in the past and the chickens have come home to roost for teams like Baltimore, Wasgington and Dallas who are or were stuck with a single overpriced player and no cap relief to chase after other pieces. Boldin had to be released to accommodate an overpriced QB contract and now the overpriced QB is unable to perform anwhere near his overpriced contract without the pieces that were sacrificed in order to accommodate his contract. And it's only going to get worse. Teams learn from the mistakes of others. They don't all follow one another off a cliff.
    The problem is not paying high for a player (I believe Manning is in that $18-20 million range), it is giving money to a guy that is not worth it (e.g. Flacco). Ben is no Flacco (in a good way), so there is little for a team to learn from that.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Thread Information