Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First choice in the draft

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful

First choice in the draft

I'm wondering if we get a top 5 pick who would you as fans like to see the Steelers draft? I ask because we have multiple needs on this team but if given the choice who would you guys like to see as a Steeler? If we switch to a 4-3 I thinking Clowney. Not sold on any LT to give up a 1st rnd pick. And also, would you trade the first pick for Fitzgerald?
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

Rookie Free Agent
    I don't mean to rain on the "who's going to draft who" parade, but in my 45 trips around the sun, I think I've seen exactly zero influence on who drafts who when based on what the peanut gallery says.

Sure we can all roll in and talk about 40 times and debate this guy's technique or that dudes coverage skills, but at the end of the day?

No one cares. There's a team of scouts on each ball club + the coaches and they'll determine what happens regardless of what you or I think. Tomlin doesn't go to internet message boards and go "Holy crap on a cracker! We should draft this dude because Tango said so!"

Nope.

Total waste of your time and mine even thinking about it.

It's like debating whether or not it's going to snow. Talk about it all you like, but you have 0 control over it so what's the point?
    Last edited by Tango-9; 11-08-2013 at 03:19 AM.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango-9 View Post
    I don't mean to rain on the "who's going to draft who" parade, but in my 45 trips around the sun, I think I've seen exactly zero influence on who drafts who when based on what the peanut gallery says.

Sure we can all roll in and talk about 40 times and debate this guy's technique or that dudes coverage skills, but at the end of the day?

No one cares. There's a team of scouts on each ball club + the coaches and they'll determine what happens regardless of what you or I think. Tomlin doesn't go to internet message boards and go "Holy crap on a cracker! We should draft this dude because Tango said so!"

Nope.

It's like debating whether or not it's going to snow. Talk about it all you like, but you have 0 control over it so what's the point?
    Who said anything about controlling the draft? This is a forum about opinion not actual control. I asked dream player or future star. Don't be such a hater. Have an opinion or don't, know ones interested in your negative input. Don't troll....
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

Nope.

Whats the point of anything then. What a useless post

Louis Nix/Watkins. I believe we will pick around 8. If they do, Mathews and Lewan will be gone.

I'm not sure where they have LT Richardson from Tennessee going, but if he is there in the second. I'd go with him.

Veteran
    They aren't going to change to a 4-3, but some people believe Clowney would be excellent in any defense. If the Giants pick anywhere ahead of us, they would grab him in a second (possibly even trading up to get him.)

The needs are so significant, that just about anyone there would help. As much as I hate the thought of picking another lineman in the first round, a stud LT would go a long way to solidifying the line.

Banned

First choice in the draft

Nope.

We have no control over the game on Sunday either... So lets not talk about that either

:facepalm:

I'd like Nix if we are picking 15th, but not in the top 5-10. Watching Dontari Poe dominate in KC makes the idea of a scary NT a little enticing

I do not like Lewan, i think drafing would be a mistake or at least not a great enough upgrade.

Watkins right now would make the offense a lot better in every way. That group of Watkins, Brown, and Wheaton could be really special.

Jake Matthews is the cornerstone piece at LT that wont necessarily win you more game on his own but with an already talented roster with a lot of depth that is lacking top end star power, matthews could be just what the doctor ordered.

Clowney is the truth, its not a matter of "switching to a 43" that is immaterial, he would make the defense better regardless of scheme or package and you unleash him on the QB on every play

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I'd like Nix if we are picking 15th, but not in the top 5-10. Watching Dontari Poe dominate in KC makes the idea of a scary NT a little enticing
    Lebeau has not shown me enough of an ability to adjust scheme to talent, to make Nix as enticing... His NTs are occupiers not disruptors... if Wade Phillips was running his 3-4 here, then I would be all over the pick.

I do not like Lewan, i think drafing would be a mistake or at least not a great enough upgrade.
    I do like Lewan... I would use our pick on him if the big 3 targets we talk about are gone (watkins, clowney, matthews). I think Lewan is going to be a rock solid lunchpale style franchise LT (Joe Staley). His stock has taken a bit of a hit... but I think he'll CHOOSE to go to the Senior Bowl and blow people away.

Watkins right now would make the offense a lot better in every way. That group of Watkins, Brown, and Wheaton could be really special.
    It's Watkins all the way for me... has been since last year.

Jake Matthews is the cornerstone piece at LT that wont necessarily win you more game on his own but with an already talented roster with a lot of depth that is lacking top end star power, matthews could be just what the doctor ordered.
    if we fail hard enough to a place where both Matthews and Watkins are on the board for our pick... then i'll just be happy... flip a coin.

Clowney is the truth, its not a matter of "switching to a 43" that is immaterial, he would make the defense better regardless of scheme or package and you unleash him on the QB on every play
    I'd be 100% on board with Clowney... as long as Lebeau retires. i simply don't believe he's capable of adjusting to his talent. I think that has been on display for years now. Serious question... would Lebeau unleash him on the QB on every play? Would he really rebuild his playbook to accomplish that (he'd have to)

a couple other names that have to be considered...

- Anthony Barr is a significantly more talented pass rusher than Jarvis Jones
    - While it's hard to imagine... a QB has to at least be considered if they truly end up near the top of the draft... the opportunities do not come along often and if they are rebuilding it's an option.

if they end up outside the top 8ish and instead end up more in the middle of the draft...

- CJ Mosley has "franchise mack" written all over him
    - Kouandijio, Richardson, Erving should all be early-mid 1st considerations at OT
    - Ifo is taking over Roby as the top CB on my board.... both would work in the 10-15 range
    - Tuitt is even more impressive than Nix to me
    - Mike Evans and Jordan Matthews.... not the elite total package that Watkins is. But either one would be a nice trade down type of grab... (i really have no interest in trading down if we are in the top 10 though... too much talent in that top 10... )way too much.
    Last edited by NeilPatrickBanana; 11-08-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Draft Pick

My apologies in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    (i really have no interest in trading down if we are in the top 10 though... too much talent in that top 10... )way too much.
    So I'll ask the dumb question and take some riddicule here, I'd like to channel my inner quest and ask the "quest"ion.

Rather than trading down is there any combination of player trades and/or exchanging multiple lower round picks this year and/or next to try and steal a 2nd pick in that first 10? Not the full Ricky Williams, but something that could give us the possibility of landing 2 of those 3? And no, I'm not suggesting trade Ben............

Although an extra pick this year and next AND whatever's left after the cap..........

Ok, I'll stop. But seriously any other type of considerations?

Thread Information