Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: if the draft were today (half way point)

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Sunshine
    Clowney, he will be there at #4 . remember no one thought DeCastro would be there for us.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    it's an easy and accurate comparison.

and like Vjax, there is a limitation to his game
    thats kinda what i meant....i wasnt really ever a fan of jackson in SD but when he went to TB his beastliness started to show a lot in that they could feed him the ball, and thats what they do....for better or worse he gets force fed the ball

Just a big body guy who can make catches without being even close to open, but also lacks explosiveness and the ability to really get wide open consistently (kinda like michael floyd too).

Also is kinda slow off the snap, but 6-5 is 6-5 and he uses his body really well, definitely a solid second rounder to me. Hes got a high floor imo

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    evans looks a lot like vincent jackson to me
    K, don't tease me.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    thats kinda what i meant....i wasnt really ever a fan of jackson in SD but when he went to TB his beastliness started to show a lot in that they could feed him the ball, and thats what they do....for better or worse he gets force fed the ball

Just a big body guy who can make catches without being even close to open, but also lacks explosiveness and the ability to really get wide open consistently (kinda like michael floyd too).

Also is kinda slow off the snap, but 6-5 is 6-5 and he uses his body really well, definitely a solid second rounder to me. Hes got a high floor imo
    Like the combination of Marshall and Jeffrey of the Bears. Those two guys are hell on cornerbacks because jamming them is nearly impossible. But getting a guy like that who could instantly be a red zone threat? Can't put a price on our need for something like that.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Assistant Coach

agreed on all counts.

it's going to be really hard for me to make up my mind on Watkins vs Jake Matthews/Lewan (OT) with a top 8 pick... I'm heavily leaning towards Watkins today (mostly because I want to believe that Gilbert and Adams still have developing to do, and our oline in general still has scheme/technique to learn, and chemistry to be built...

but to pass on a potential huge upgrade at a position that has been only average at best, and terrible at worst for over a decade... tough to pass up.... but, its a super star league... and we haven't had a truly complete #1 WR.... ever (in this era)

I do think Watkins has the skills/talent/potential to be on the Julio/Dez level of elite.... he explodes off the line and runs everything like a 4th year pro. He's perfect from a visual standpoint (you know what i mean?)... he moves with ease, precision, and fluidity.

He gets gameplanned for... which is unusual for WRs in college football... He is constantly doubled over the top... and he receives more triple bracket coverage than any college WR i've seen since Calvin and AJ (maybe Crabtree too).

ahhhhhh.... how are we going to make it?!?! lol 6 months til the draft..... ahhh
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

Can you guys rate my first 3 draft picks.

1. Amaro( I dont think Watkins will be there)
    2. Fuller-CB
    3. Dri Archer-RB/WR

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    Can you guys rate my first 3 draft picks.

1. Amaro( I dont think Watkins will be there)
    2. Fuller-CB
    3. Dri Archer-RB/WR
    You were one of the guys obsessed with taking Eiffert (massively overrated) last year right?

I wouldn't use a high first on Amaro. He's a good receiver, who plays out of the slot a lot... but athletically, he's not going to be one of the "new school" TEs in the NFL. He's slow and sloppy (in comparison to guys like Graham and Gronk who are athletic freaks).

TE's coming out of college seem to regularly get massively overrated by those who seem to think the best college TEs, will simply BE one of these dominant new school NFL TEs... most of them are simply not first round talent. Like Eiffert, and Colby Fleener before him... they just aren't that special.

I definitely want to look towards getting a higher talent TE... but guys like Amaro are 2nd/3rd round talent wise (i dont doubt someone will take him with a late 1st... it's always they case where better teams, with fewer holes, can spend a late 1st on a TE. The Steelers can't...

Fuller is a good fit for the Steelers... big and strong, active in run support... but lacks that top end athleticism downfield. I'd be fine with that pick in the 2nd round (value wise + needs)

Dri Archer... im just not feeling the luxury of investing a 3rd rounder in such a hit/miss prospect, that would need some portion of the playbook to be built for him... if it was the 5th round... like when we grabbed Rainey... then i'm in...

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    You were one of the guys obsessed with taking Eiffert (massively overrated) last year right?

I wouldn't use a high first on Amaro. He's a good receiver, who plays out of the slot a lot... but athletically, he's not going to be one of the "new school" TEs in the NFL. He's slow and sloppy (in comparison to guys like Graham and Gronk who are athletic freaks).

TE's coming out of college seem to regularly get massively overrated by those who seem to think the best college TEs, will simply BE one of these dominant new school NFL TEs... most of them are simply not first round talent. Like Eiffert, and Colby Fleener before him... they just aren't that special.

I definitely want to look towards getting a higher talent TE... but guys like Amaro are 2nd/3rd round talent wise (i dont doubt someone will take him with a late 1st... it's always they case where better teams, with fewer holes, can spend a late 1st on a TE. The Steelers can't...

Fuller is a good fit for the Steelers... big and strong, active in run support... but lacks that top end athleticism downfield. I'd be fine with that pick in the 2nd round (value wise + needs)

Dri Archer... im just not feeling the luxury of investing a 3rd rounder in such a hit/miss prospect, that would need some portion of the playbook to be built for him... if it was the 5th round... like when we grabbed Rainey... then i'm in...
    Like I said, I think we will pick mid draft and I dont think Watkins will be there, if he is, then take him first round no doubt. I was all about defense this draft but we need to give Ben some weapons. If Watkins isnt there, do we go Marquise Lee? I would take other WR over Lee at this point to be honest.

The reason I high on Archer is I think he can be truly dynamic given chance in an offense. I can make a Sproles comparison but it would be to ovbious give the size of the two. Plus he would keep Brown healthier by running back kicks/punts. I just think he is gone by round 4.

Assistant Coach
    if the draft were held today, and we were picking ~#15....

1st Ifo Ekpre Olomu CB Oregon
    - This would only be my pick if they were committed to playing much more man/press coverages (they should)... this pick also assumes the top WR and OT talent is already gone...
    2nd Austin Seferian Jenkins TE Washington
    - His numbers have plummeted, but he's turned himself into a much more complete TE in the process
    3rd Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss
    - if he can put together a combine that proves me wrong about his athletics, he'll probably shoot up draft boards
    Last edited by NeilPatrickBanana; 11-19-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    Like I said, I think we will pick mid draft and I dont think Watkins will be there, if he is, then take him first round no doubt. I was all about defense this draft but we need to give Ben some weapons. If Watkins isnt there, do we go Marquise Lee? I would take other WR over Lee at this point to be honest.

The reason I high on Archer is I think he can be truly dynamic given chance in an offense. I can make a Sproles comparison but it would be to ovbious give the size of the two. Plus he would keep Brown healthier by running back kicks/punts. I just think he is gone by round 4.
    if the premise holds (playing their way out of the top 10 picks, but not into the playoffs).... then I think they should definitely look at Jordan Mattews and Mike Evans as 1st rounders. might be reaching for needs... but mid 1st round, that's never a wrong IMO.

I went with Ifo for now...

Thread Information