Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Miami Situation Gets Interesting

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

The Miami Situation Gets Interesting

It appears that Jonathan Martin left the team because he was being continually harassed by his teammates. Richie Incognito being the ringleader and Mike Pouncey involved (neither of the Pounceys have helped their image the last few months). More Florida trash! (Just kidding K-Train).

It could be just a guy looking for an easy pay day but I doubt it. I suspect there is something to this.

It will be interesting to watch this unfold. Unfortunately, it will probably result in the complete removal of locker room "bonding" through rookie hazing, etc. which does have a constructive purpose. This may have gone way overboard.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...uld-be-lengthy

Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin remains away from the team following an incident at the facility last week in which other members of the offensive line verbally harassed him, something that has been ongoing throughout his season-and-a-half there according to sources with knowledge of the situation. Dolphins guard Richie Incognito, according to sources, was “the ring-leader,” of the ongoing bullying, acting particularly “menacing” toward Martin, while center Mike Pouncey was also involved.

Incognito is strongly denying any role in the matter on social media. The NFLPA, while not investigating the issue as it is not in a position to discipline its members for locker room activities, is monitoring it and Executive Director DeMaurice Smith has spoken to Incognito, sources said, as well as representatives for Martin.

Martin has no plans to return to the team at this point, sources said, focused on getting himself well and waiting to see if the Dolphins take action in this manner. They have not adjusted his status or done anything to dock his pay to this point, nor has the team taken any action to ensure a safer and normal workplace environment for him, should he return. Until the Dolphins take action, Martin's position is unlikely to change.

Last week's flare-up between Martin and his teammates, “was not an isolated incident -- not even close,” one source said. “It's been going on almost since they drafted him.” Other players on the team said it was fairly widely known within the team that the offensive linemen were hard on Martin, a second-round pick in 2012, and Martin has expressed his displeasure with the situation in the past. Last week, several Dolphins players denied there was any history of verbal abuse or bullying of Martin.

Incognito has had to be reprimanded in the past for his actions toward team employees, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. It is not uncommon for him to intentionally walk into people and make others feel uncomfortable, and to make threatening remarks to Martin, sources said. “It's hard to picture a 6-foot-5 350-lb football player as being the victim of bullying, but that's exactly what took place here,” the source said. “He is genuinely scared of what Incognito might do to him, or has threatened to do to him.”

The Dolphins released the following statement regarding the situation:

"The Miami Dolphins, including Coach Joe Philbin and Jonathan's teammates, have been in communication with Jonathan and his family since his departure from the club and continue to be in contact," the Dolphins said in a statement released Sunday. "Our primary concern for Jonathan is his overall health and well-being. As an organization, we take any accusations of player misconduct seriously.

"The notion of bullying is based on speculation and has not been presented to us as a concern from Jonathan or anyone else internally. The reports that the NFLPA is investigating our players are inaccurate. Additionally, the NFL offered its assistance during this time, which we appreciated and gladly accepted."

"We will continue to make Jonathan's health and well-being a focus as we do with all of our players."

Rookie hazing is a rite of passage in the NFL, but this has continued well into Martin's second season in the NFL and was personal and different from what the rest of the team's 2012 rookie class might have gone through, sources said. The Dolphins' team management has been made aware of the timeline of events as well.

Martin was inactive for Thursday night's win over the Bengals -- he was not at the stadium -- and at this point he remains on the 53-man roster. Martin began the season as the team's starting left tackle and recently shifted back to the right side.

The Dolphins are not commenting on any specifics of Martin's situation and the NFLPA released a statement Saturday saying they are not investigating Incognito or any other Dolphin player.
    Last edited by TarlsQtr; 11-03-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

O well. Hazing is weak though and is taken way out of hand nowadays.

Veteran
    My Mood
    Angry
    Incognito seems to always have issues. This would be in the category of workplace harassment. I had issues at my job years ago. As much as I tried to laugh it off, it wore me down to a breaking point.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevelandsux View Post
    Incognito seems to always have issues. This would be in the category of workplace harassment. I had issues at my job years ago. As much as I tried to laugh it off, it wore me down to a breaking point.
    I can't sympathize with you because I have never had it happened to me and if it ever does, they better be prepared for the dire consequences. Most people won't talk to me because to them I appear physically intimidating. In order to get someone to talk to me I have to break the ice, which gets old, so I usually don't say much to anyone in public or in a working environment.
    Haters gonna hate, winners gonna win. Let the haters motivate.

Banned
    A report said a unnamed Dolphin rookie, who had a salary of 400,000 dollars was FORCED to pay for a dinner for SOME of the Vet players...a bill of 30,000 dollars!! ??? 30,000 dollars for Dinner ?...what the Hell were those guys eating ?...solid Gold Fried Chicken ?

Assistant Coach
    http://deadspin.com/is-richie-incogn...ium=socialflow

it would be funny if it wasnt so sad...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    NPB - As long as I breath I will ban you.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    I'm wondering, and if anyone knows please share. Is this guy being bullied because he's gay?
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

Banned
    I don't know what to think of this. But I guess BLOOD is thicker then water right ? It's kinda both funny, and sad. But if true, it sure would explain alot. They say the Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

http://deadspin.com/is-richie-incogn...n-m-1457997230

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Wow if true.

The "funny" thing is this. The guy (Incognito's dad?) tries to discredit Martin as someone who "tried to kill himself three times." Let's say this is true. It says a HELL of a lot more about Incognito than Martin. I mean, who the hell would be so mean to someone you knew tried to commit suicide three times?

Does Incognito have a history in college? Pioli and Dungy both said he was off their draft board for character issues.

@ Dean-It could be but I do not think so. The comments (at least the ones published so far) have been racial in nature, calling him a "half n*****" because he is biracial along with threats that he would "sh!t in his mouth". I have not seen any reference of a gay slur, which I assume would be the case if that was the reason. Of course, more will come out.

I am also interested to see Mike Pouncey's involvement...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Wow if true.

The "funny" thing is this. The guy (Incognito's dad?) tries to discredit Martin as someone who "tried to kill himself three times." Let's say this is true. It says a HELL of a lot more about Incognito than Martin. I mean, who the hell would be so mean to someone you knew tried to commit suicide three times?

Does Incognito have a history in college? Pioli and Dungy both said he was off their draft board for character issues.

@ Dean-It could be but I do not think so. The comments (at least the ones published so far) have been racial in nature, calling him a "half n*****" because he is biracial along with threats that he would "sh!t in his mouth". I have not seen any reference of a gay slur, which I assume would be the case if that was the reason. Of course, more will come out.

I am also interested to see Mike Pouncey's involvement...

There is a easy ay to prove if it's true or false, have his computers ISP tracked. No way to get around that. The only thing that really bothers me about this is...according to the reports I have seen on TV and read....these Insulting, and threatening tweets happened like in April. Now, if I got those types of messages from a teammate of mine...especially from one like Incognito with his past....threatening to hurt my FAMILY...there is NO WAY I am not going to either the team, or the police with that. And there is NO WAY I would have let it go this far. The Racial tweets not withstanding are not really a big deal to me sorry to say. I KNOW it is disgraceful....but, it is NOT Illegal. Now, the Threats to Martin's life, and his Family...that is a whole different matter.

And I'll BET TarlsQtr if you were Martin, and Incognito would have sent threatening texts and tweets to you Involving your family...you wouldn't just let it go for 6 Odd Months. That is the ONLY Hinkie thing that baffles me.

Thread Information