Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Dan Rooney

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northeast Ohio (Clowns country)
    Posts
    2,241
    My Mood
    chiefs-hater

    Dan Rooney

    Have any of you thought that this team has been on the decline since dan Rooney left to become an ambassador to Ireland? While his son took over the team?

    Im one of those people that thinks dan was one of the most important people responsible for the steelers success. More so than his father art sr. Although everyone loved the chief, the team really didn't start winning until dan started getting more involved in the teams day to day to operations.

    I mean the team lost for almost 40 years until 1972. And now dan Rooney is getting older and is having less of an impact on the team, they haven't been as successful.just food for thought. Just sayin'.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,359
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

    Dan Rooney

    There is no cause and effect. Dan happened to leave the same time that age and big contracts were catching up with this team. It is the cyclical nature of the NFL.

    Along with what is mentioned above, poor drafting/poor draft position is the culprit. Dan would not have stopped Colbert and Tomlin from drafting Limas Sweed or the myriad of 2nd round busts. He is not the Jerry Jones telling his football people what to do every minute type of owner and he would be getting tons of criticism if he was.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,039
    Corrleation does not imply causation.

  4. #4
    Draft Pick
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    There is no cause and effect. Dan happened to leave the same time that age and big contracts were catching up with this team. It is the cyclical nature of the NFL.

    Along with what is mentioned above, poor drafting/poor draft position is the culprit. Dan would not have stopped Colbert and Tomlin from drafting Limas Sweed or the myriad of 2nd round busts. He is not the Jerry Jones telling his football people what to do every minute type of owner and he would be getting tons of criticism if he was.
    Art II demanded the offense return to "Steeler football" and they've gotten worse ever since. The guy is nowhere near the class of owner his father was.

  5. #5
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    Art II demanded the offense return to "Steeler football" and they've gotten worse ever since. The guy is nowhere near the class of owner his father was.
    this myth will live on forever in the internet age...

    the reality is that the Steelers ran the ball less in Haley's first season, than in any season under Arians...
    And Ben is on pace to throw the most passes of his career this year...

    the Rooney/Run the Ball Myth is the result of stupid fan interpretations of a single statement
    It's good to be back!

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Penn State University
    Posts
    6,818
    People are starting to channel their inner "Crash" more and more around here.

  7. #7
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    People are starting to channel their inner "Crash" more and more around here.
    i was thinking the same thing...
    It's good to be back!

  8. #8
    Draft Pick
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    this myth will live on forever in the internet age...

    the reality is that the Steelers ran the ball less in Haley's first season, than in any season under Arians...
    And Ben is on pace to throw the most passes of his career this year...

    the Rooney/Run the Ball Myth is the result of stupid fan interpretations of a single statement
    Another yinzer that can't get his head out of the stat sheet. Guess what, screen passes count as passes too. Ben has to throw more late in games because the Haley offense will waste time trying to establish the small ball stuff like screen passes and runs up the middle - exactly what Art II wanted.

  9. #9
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    Another yinzer that can't get his head out of the stat sheet. Guess what, screen passes count as passes too. Ben has to throw more late in games because the Haley offense will waste time trying to establish the small ball stuff like screen passes and runs up the middle - exactly what Art II wanted.
    screen passes are passes? you're blowing my mind here...

    Last year, the Atlanta Falcons (top passing offense), led the league in screen passes.

    Do you know how many screen passes the Packers have thrown this year?

    Do you even watch football? Do you know anything about NFL offenses?

    Last year, here are the top 3 QBs in Pass Attempts with travel distance under 2 yards (screen passes are generally -2 to 2 yards in attempt distance)

    1. Ryan
    2. Rodgers
    3. Brady


    get some perspective...
    It's good to be back!

  10. #10
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    People are starting to channel their inner "Crash" more and more around here.
    I would take Crash over most of these jackbags around here....lol

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rooney wants Steelers to run more
    By LarryNJ in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-19-2010, 04:06 PM
  2. Dear old man Rooney,
    By LatrobePA in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 11:39 AM
  3. Dan Rooney: Born to be a Steeler
    By Koopa in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-28-2007, 01:12 AM
  4. Et tu, Rooney?
    By AZ_Steeler in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 04:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •