Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wallace Flopping

Bookmark and Share

Wallace Flopping

Although Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin promised to expand Mike Wallace's role after a one-catch performance in the season opener, the big-ticket free-agent acquisition has been a high-profile flop through eight weeks.

Wallace is third in the NFL in drops, with seven. Ryan Tannehill has completed 48.4 percent of his attempts to Wallace this season, compared to 65.2 percent to all other Dolphins.

On Thursday's edition of "Around The League Live," NFL Media's Kurt Warner suggested that Philbin's early-season adjustment to Wallace's route tree is one of the primary reasons for the receiver's struggles.

"Mike Wallace is a guy that stretches the field. A guy that you have to use to his strengths," Warner opined. "You can see plays like that, where he's not the most consistent guy in catching the underneath routes, or even running them and feeling comfortable in it. So you really have to push him down the field.

"The Dolphins are trying to get all that money out of him by using him in ways that I don't think he can thrive, and now everybody's disappointed because of that."

I said it 2 years ago - unless Wallace goes to a team with an elite QB, he will turn into what Randle El was on the Redskins. . .a fast, mediocre receiver.
    Formerly know as Harrison92

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfrom55 View Post
    I said it 2 years ago - unless Wallace goes to a team with an elite QB, he will turn into what Randle El was on the Redskins. . .a fast, mediocre receiver.
    I think Wallace was that anyway. Elite speed, but when you tried to get him to do more typical receiver things (underneath routes, fight for the ball, etc.) he struggles. Can blow past anyone with his speed, maybe the fastest guy in the NFL, but beyond that, not much there.

and Black&Gold Forever was talking about Wallace like he was the best thing since sliced bread
    "HAIL TO PITT"

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I never saw what some others saw in Tannehill. He's just a guy playing Qb. But I do admit that I also don't understand the Dolphins offensive Co. who keeps playing the inferior RB (Thomas) just as much as Miller.

Miller is a stud.
    Last edited by Real Deal Steel; 11-01-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    I never saw what some others saw in Tannehill. He's just a guy playing Qb. But I do admit that I also don't understand the Dolphins offensive Co. who keeps running keeps playing the inferior RB (Thomas) just as much as Miller.

Miller is a stud.
    I think you are watching a different game than I watched. Sounds like sour grapes from Pitt. I didn't count the number of times I saw him open and they had no intention of going to him. I've watched the last two games Miami has played and for whatever reason they are not using him. He goes down the sideline 12-15 yards, buttonhooks and then comes back toward the line and he's open every time. He caught 1 tonite that they threw to him and he was open by 5 yards. He threw the same fake a couple of other times and was sitting there wide open. You people are like Popeye and won't give the guy credit. Its time for Belechik to come swooping down with a draft pick and turn him into a pro-bowl receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by LevonKirkland99 View Post
    and Black&Gold Forever was talking about Wallace like he was the best thing since sliced bread
    Mike Wallace has averages the same amount TDs every season than Antonio Brown has in 4 years. It's embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfrom55 View Post
    Larry Fitzgerald isn't exactly lighting it up either. Tannehill sucks.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by LevonKirkland99 View Post
    I never said the was the greatest thing since slice bread but always said he was a very productive player for the Steelers and always found it funny that Wallace was always blasted for mental mistakes but AB mostly got a pass from fans for making the same mental mistakes......But again I see once again this is way above your head......The Mike Wallace hate is so funny by some of our fans....He isn't even on the team anymore but still some of our fans have to talk about him.....

Mike Wallace scored 32 TD's in four seasons as a Steeler......That is pretty damn good and AB will never sniff 32 TD's in his entire career.....

Mike Wallace was a huge threat when we had AB here to be honest. He was not a fit in Haleys system.

Thread Information