Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe for winning on D

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Very well said.....SA was started due to the fact that some of us older members of SA use to post on Steelersfever.com and got sick of how Fever was run.....What made SA great back in the day was all opinions were welcomed even if some posters said some off the wall things or if some fans were critical of the team/certain player.....We also had some classic debates back in the day and they also got out of hand at times but we still had respect for each other and respected each others opinions.....I had some classic battles with Teemont....lol Miss that guy...lol

Now this forums has turned into nothing more then constant arguing and we have all these wannabe experts around here now....We're all just fans and there is no football gurus on this site......How I miss the old days of SA with BRC, Koopa, Teemont, Ktrain, SF, Prosdo, AZSTeeler, H-Burg.....I know I have forgotten some names but that is when SA was the best Steelers site on the net...........
    I'd like to start out by saying that this isn't a direct response to you, but I feel that you adequately captured the stance of some others that there are a couple of different camps on this forum, be it the so-called "football experts" vs the perceived "less informed"; the Pro-Ben and Anti-Ben camps (though I think there is still confusion about some being anti-Ben when that is not necessarily the case), etc. So again this isn't a response to you particularly as more than just you have expressed these sentiments.

I may have a low post count but I have read these forums habitually, my join date isn't a fluke, even though it is really only since last year that I have even moderately posted. The opinions, and debates were just as intense in older years as they are now, the only difference is that the rhetoric has greatly escalated. Still, back in the "old days" opinions were thought "dumb", "stupid", or wrong and even said to be so.

To claim all the animosity on the boards needs to be owned by the "football experts", or the mods because they let things get out of hand is short-sighted at best. There is just as much animosity being directed back at those people as the opposite. When you have posters addressing people as "son", that is just as much of a show of disrespect as calling someone's opinion dumb; so is hurling other personal "non-forum" related insults, or making threats.

You said that everyone's opinions were respected and heard, well some, myself included enjoy having more nuanced discussions. When I was younger I used to watch a ton of pro basketball (before I realized I didn't really enjoy the type of league they were becoming). Being from Chicago I was a huge Bulls fan, but I'm just as much a sports fan. I stopped being a Bulls fan after the 3rd championship because you could no longer even have a rational discussion on how the Bulls "might" lose to Utah. "We have Jordan". That was it, nothing more....."We have Jordan". This turned out to be true, but there are those of us who enjoy digging deeper. Not only to debate but to understand the game, but the game within the game because for some of us that is enjoyable. If you don't want to participate in those nuanced conversations then don't. If you can't physically ignore reading what someone you don't like posts, then use the ignore feature. If you think you shouldn't have too, then that means you enjoy participating in that debate or reading the viewpoint of another; it doesn't mean that you like to get called names, or told your own opinion is dumb, but that you wanted to see what was said. If you want to complain to a mod, do so, you have every right to. If you feel you don't receive justice, get over it or move on.

As you put often many get "butt-hurt" around here when someone disagrees with their perception of the team, a player, coach, etc. but they're still here, still reading, still posting. People are still here because we're grown men and women, it's just a forum, it's not life and death. There are other forums, if you're looking for a utopian posting situation, good luck.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityShaker View Post
    I'd like to start out by saying that this isn't a direct response to you, but I feel that you adequately captured the stance of some others that there are a couple of different camps on this forum, be it the so-called "football experts" vs the perceived "less informed"; the Pro-Ben and Anti-Ben camps (though I think there is still confusion about some being anti-Ben when that is not necessarily the case), etc. So again this isn't a response to you particularly as more than just you have expressed these sentiments.

I may have a low post count but I have read these forums habitually, my join date isn't a fluke, even though it is really only since last year that I have even moderately posted. The opinions, and debates were just as intense in older years as they are now, the only difference is that the rhetoric has greatly escalated. Still, back in the "old days" opinions were thought "dumb", "stupid", or wrong and even said to be so.

To claim all the animosity on the boards needs to be owned by the "football experts", or the mods because they let things get out of hand is short-sighted at best. There is just as much animosity being directed back at those people as the opposite. When you have posters addressing people as "son", that is just as much of a show of disrespect as calling someone's opinion dumb; so is hurling other personal "non-forum" related insults, or making threats.

You said that everyone's opinions were respected and heard, well some, myself included enjoy having more nuanced discussions. When I was younger I used to watch a ton of pro basketball (before I realized I didn't really enjoy the type of league they were becoming). Being from Chicago I was a huge Bulls fan, but I'm just as much a sports fan. I stopped being a Bulls fan after the 3rd championship because you could no longer even have a rational discussion on how the Bulls "might" lose to Utah. "We have Jordan". That was it, nothing more....."We have Jordan". This turned out to be true, but there are those of us who enjoy digging deeper. Not only to debate but to understand the game, but the game within the game because for some of us that is enjoyable. If you don't want to participate in those nuanced conversations then don't. If you can't physically ignore reading what someone you don't like posts, then use the ignore feature. If you think you shouldn't have too, then that means you enjoy participating in that debate or reading the viewpoint of another; it doesn't mean that you like to get called names, or told your own opinion is dumb, but that you wanted to see what was said. If you want to complain to a mod, do so, you have every right to. If you feel you don't receive justice, get over it or move on.

As you put often many get "butt-hurt" around here when someone disagrees with their perception of the team, a player, coach, etc. but they're still here, still reading, still posting. People are still here because we're grown men and women, it's just a forum, it's not life and death. There are other forums, if you're looking for a utopian posting situation, good luck.
    Excellent post...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Banned
    Banana Boy and TarlsQtr are the same person. He's been trolling this board for over a year. If you haven't realized that Windy, then you didn't read this board as often as you claim.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityShaker View Post

Great post...

And as one of the aforementioned "football experts", I'll gladly point out that when I first joined, and gave my opinions, the resident dumbos (NYC, Real Dumb Stupid, Crash, etc) were all too willing to call me a dumb *** or any assortment of NYC's homo-erotic descriptions. So I learned very quickly how to deal with them... they have to be treated the way the treated everyone else who doesn't see their narrow minded and limited opinions.

"Only a Moron would claim Luck is more talented than Ben"
    "Only a dick sucking blah badee blah would use QBR"

now they are getting a taste of their own meds, and crying like little, impotent, children about it. it's hysterical. WAAAAHHHH it's not fun here anymore...

I'm here to talk football and call *******s, *******s... and im not changing.

I get into plenty of football disagreements, with smart, well informed posters here... and while it may lead to some moderate ribbing, their is genuine appreciation for differing points of view here.

The laughable part... is you have a bunch of babies, who want to go back to when they could call everyone names... and not have the stupidity of their own opinions treated in the same manner in which they treat others.

babies
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Info needs to be verified by a link. Nice try.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Banana Boy and TarlsQtr are the same person. He's been trolling this board for over a year. If you haven't realized that Windy, then you didn't read this board as often as you claim.
    see what i mean... babies.

Last Year NYC accused me of being:
    Ravenous Rex
    Joeflaccosayshi
    weakdraft
    and
    Crash

now he's adding Tarlsqtr to the list... lol
    Last edited by NeilPatrickBanana; 11-05-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Now this forums has turned into nothing more then constant arguing and we have all these wannabe experts around here now....We're all just fans and there is no football gurus on this site......How I miss the old days of SA with BRC, Koopa, Teemont, Ktrain, SF, Prosdo, AZSTeeler, H-Burg.....I know I have forgotten some names but that is when SA was the best Steelers site on the net...........
    Agree 100 precent. I know I'm relatively "new", but I got all my Steeler info for years before I ever made an account in 09. This forum has gone down-hill the last few years. It's still fun at times, but all the bickering gets old.

Also what happened to BRC? I miss that guy! Wasn't he the head hauncho around here?
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Banned
    [QUOTE=NeilPatrickBanana;563175]see what i mean... babies.

For you Neil.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Hey, I'm not saying I think that, but is it "possible"..........sure. Would I even care?............not so much, it's the internet, people are free to do whatever pleases them.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Nope Neil, I just want this forum to go back to the old days were nobody stuck their chests out proclaiming I know more football then you and all opinions were welcomed even the off the wall opinions like Crash had......I'm still pissed that Crash was banned and that wouldn't have happened back in the day here at SA.......When SA was created to welcome all opinions since the people at SteelersFever acted like Nazi's........If think I'm being a baby then really like I said before I don't give a ****.....

Assistant Coach
    Nope Neil, I just want this forum to go back to the old days were nobody stuck their chests out proclaiming I know more football then you and all opinions were welcomed even the off the wall opinions like Crash had......I'm still pissed that Crash was banned and that wouldn't have happened back in the day here at SA.......When SA was created to welcome all opinions since the people at SteelersFever acted like Nazi's........If think I'm being a baby then really like I said before I don't give a ****.....
    Crash was basically conspiracy spamming the site. repeating the same thing in every thread. derailing every debate/thread/conversation into the same nonsense... every opinion is welcome, and every opinion has it's place. going on a spam bonanza into every thread, every day... derailing and ruining good debates was a good reason to ban someone.

as for the present culture... it's the result of people like NYC and RDS... who initiated all the chest pumping and personal attacks. My first interactions with both of them was them calling me a moron for my opinion... It only took a few days to realize they were flat out not that knowledgeable about football. I didn't create the culture here... i adapted to it.

I never considered you part of that group... but you seem desperate to join them

Thread Information