Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Recipe for winning on D

Bookmark and Share
    Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    I am guilty of defending this team when others have said they are old and slow. This has been the talk for what, three seasons now? I can't defend it anymore. I love this team but I'm not buying them anymore. I look around the league, mostly the city I live in, seattle and they have a defense making half the money as ours and are way better. Their secondary makes ours look their age for sure. They either forgot how to play or they are old, slow and unable to make big plays anymore. How can anyone watch their production over the last few years and think there is anything there worth keeping? Let alone continue paying....if its the system then change it but its not, our secondary is just finished.
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    Woodley has been his usually "1 play a game" self
    he's being underutilized by the scheme...

According to Pro Football Focus, Woodley has registered five sacks, six hits, and 19 hurries through the first half of the 2013 season. That does not quite compare to the 60 total pressures, including 10 sacks, from Tamba Hali, or the 12 sacks and 34 other pressures of Mario Williams, but the raw numbers do not tell the full story.

The difference between Woodley and other pass rushers such as the aforementioned, Robert Mathis, or Terrell Suggs is in the category in which the Steelers outside linebacker ranks near the bottom: pass rushes.

As I have written about multiple times in the past, Dick LeBeau’s outside linebackers rush the passer significantly less than the average. In fact, on the year, of the 23 3-4 outside linebackers that have logged at least 50 percent of the team’s snaps, Woodley ranks 23rd, behind only New York Jets linebacker Calvin Pace.

Woodley rushes the passer just under 21 times a game, having done so 166 times through the team’s first eight games. Williams? He has already rushed the passer 320 times in the nine games the Buffalo Bills have played—over 35 times a game.

That is because the Bills rush Williams against the passer on an utterly astounding 97.6 percent of his passing snaps—or all but eight of them. LeBeau sends Woodley on the hunt a mere 65.9 percent of the time. Yes, Woodley’s 166 pass rushes have come on 252 passing plays.

In fact, if you take all players at the position that have logged 25 percent of the team’s snaps, his pass rush percentage would rank 32rd out of 38 players, above only such pass-rushing luminaries as Manny Lawson, Pace, and Courtney Upshaw.

Despite the significantly fewer opportunities than most pass rushers, however, the difference between Woodley and ‘most’ is that he has been making the most of his opportunities. His 30 pressures on 166 rushes equates to a pressure every 5.5 attempts, or over 18 percent of the time.

Mario Williams generates pressure on only 14.4 percent of his rushes. Tamba Hali? He is the only player in the league going at a better clip, ringing up pressure on 18.3 percent of his rushes.

LaMarr Woodley led the entire league in Pro Football Focus’ Pass Rushing Productivity category in 2009 with a score of 13.0. A year later he finished second with 12.9. In 2013, his PRP stand at 14.3. For comparison, James Harrison had a score of 13.0 when he broke the franchise record with 16 sacks and finished the season as the Defensive Player of the Year.

Because he is not racking up the eye-popping sack totals, it may not seem as though Woodley is playing in form. The lack of multiple-sack games also lends credence to that idea. But the truth of the matter is that, from a pure pressure-generating standpoint, Woodley may never have been better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    he's being underutilized by the scheme...
    That is a fair conclusion based on those stats.

I'd argue his success is highly dependant on the way he's used... "who is going to rush" is a large factor in Lebeau's scheme... i'd counter that if Woodley was rushed the way a dominant pass rusher is, he'd be far far far less effective than the current stats above suggest.

(he also does it exclusively against RTs, effectively never facing the opponents best pass protector like the elites do)

woodley doesn't do enough within the scheme... not at his pay... i think he's a solid OLB who makes plays on the soft side and contributes... but he's overpaid for the plays he brings to the table... and its a problem going forward

My Mood
    Cheerful
    See, and if we had a player on the dline that could draw a double team once in a while maybe our LB would be more productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Are you confusing Crach with Scudmissile or whatever his name was?....I never remember Crash ripping the USA but I do recall Scudmissile ripping America.....
    I believe it was crash, I thought he was from the UK/Euro area after that.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    He should've been able to call people whatever he wanted considering others were constantly insulting him. What is this unusual notion that it's polite to call someone stupid but impolite to call them a pu$$ you or bitc×?
    I dont remember anyone calling him that. To be honest I put him on ignore after the first week. I saw what he was saying when other posters would quote what he was saying most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    woodley doesn't do enough within the scheme... not at his pay... i think he's a solid OLB who makes plays on the soft side and contributes... but he's overpaid for the plays he brings to the table... and its a problem going forward
    Agreed. I've been thinking a lot about this lately.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    A good piece about what is wrong with the Steelers D.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-up-steelers-d
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Cheerful
    It's true and it echoes everything we have been talking about in regards to over-paid, under performing veterans. But what really stands out is what was said about Butler, and it's the same thing I said. What sense does it make to promote this guy if in all likely hood he's going to run the same type of defense. Why cut bait with Lebeau if we're going to have an understudy try and follow the same scheme with the same talent? My brain hurts.....

i think its silly to just assume butler wants to be lebeau

Thread Information