Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesko released, McBriar signed

Bookmark and Share

Mesko released, McBriar signed

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...3-e416b277103d

The Steelers waived punter Zoltan Mesko on Tuesday, after he had been inconsistent since being signed before the start of the regular season.

Mesko was signed on Sept. 2 following his release by the New England Patriots, and the Steelers in turn released second-year punter Drew Butler. Mesko ranked 16th in the AFC and 31st in the NFL among punters with a 36.7-yard net average. He punted 34 times, with only three inside the 20-yard line.

The team added punter Mat McBriar, a 10-year veteran who played eight seasons for the Dallas Cowboys. McBriar was born in Melbourne, Australia, and began as an Australian rules football player. He played at the University of Hawaii and signed with the Denver Broncos as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2003. He was traded to the Seattle Seahawks in the 2003 preseason for a conditional draft pick, but Seattle waived him prior to the start of the season.

The Cowboys signed McBriar to their practice squad late in 2003 and signed him to the active roster in 2004. McBriar was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2006 and 2010 and named second-team All-Pro by the Associated Press. He has a career average of 45.4 yards on 549 punts with a 38.0 net average.

Coach Mike Tomlin was asked about Mesko’s performance against the Oakland Raiders, when he had a punt blocked, during his weekly press conference on Tuesday. And as he has said in the past, Tomlin pointed to inconsistency being a problem.

“The punting has been very similar to how it’s been the previous weeks and really how I kind of characterize it, he’s had his moments, positively and negatively,” said Tomlin. “He’s been inconsistent and that’s not good enough. He needs to perform better.

“But along with the obvious negativity in the game, I thought he rebounded well and really finished the game strong with some quality punts, particularly a couple that were downed, one was downed inside the one or two-yard line. It was a leg-up in the waning moments of the game as we tried to work our way back into it.”
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Banned
    I told everyone that this guy sucked when we cut Butler...which was a mistake. Not that a new Punter is going to make a difference on our season, just sayin.

Draft Pick
    The fact that our punting alone has received 45+ posts in dedicated punting threads tells us all exactly how this season is going.

Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    I told everyone that this guy sucked when we cut Butler...which was a mistake. Not that a new Punter is going to make a difference on our season, just sayin.
    Another one of Tomlin's fantastic pickups to go along with Sean Mahan.

Rookie Free Agent JoeSteelerFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Follow JoeSteelerFan On Twitter
    Why wouldn't they bring back Butler? Someone must really have it in for this guy.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoeSteelerFan

Mesko released, McBriar signed

"Championship"
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    That guy really sucked. I think paulsen should be next.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Draft Pick
    He was terrible right from the start. The battle in camp was between Butler and Moorman and then they release both of them and brought in Mesko for some unknown reason.

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky#20 View Post
    He was terrible right from the start. The battle in camp was between Butler and Moorman and then they release both of them and brought in Mesko for some unknown reason.
    How can you say he was a bad punter? Didn't he come from New England. Course New England had the foresite to bring in and undrafted free agent who won the Ray Guy Award for the last two years in college. Of course it wouldn't have cost anything to bring the guy in and look. So what happens he is now the #5 rated punter this year and what do we sign? The 31st rated punter. New England's trash. Tomlin is a friggin joke.

orignally from pittsburgh,but now stuck in browns country :(northeast ohio 30mins south of cleveland

My Social Networks

Add mcfly06 on Facebook
    I don't know if this was a Tomlin move or Colbert minded, but to me Colbert has to be on the Hot Seat, I have never liked him personally because it does seem he makes dumb moves. I think him and Haley should be fired after this season.. But releasing a punter don't solve anything.. Why not trade Sanders when you know he won't be back this year, at least get a draft pick for him. But no we either let the guys walk or hold onto them to long then no one wants them..

Thread Information