Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Clark: Dez backlash "unfair"

Bookmark and Share

Ryan Clark: Dez backlash "unfair"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/99...ouble-standard

PITTSBURGH -- Ryan Clark fired back at those who have bashed Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant for his sideline theatrics last Sunday and said such criticism reflects a double standard in the NFL.

"I've seen Tom Brady cuss and scream and do all kind of things but nobody looks at him like that," the outspoken Pittsburgh Steelers safety said Wednesday. "I just think it's unfair the way we see it and the way the media portrays certain things because of personal feelings about a person."

Clark said he saw nothing wrong with what Bryant did even though cameras showed him having heated discussions on the sideline with several teammates, including tight end Jason Witten. Bryant's actions overshadowed a spectacular touchdown catch he made in the Cowboys' 31-30 loss to the Detroit Lions.

"Dez Bryant wasn't going off. Dez Bryant said, 'We are the best in the NFL at this.' Doesn't sound like going off to me," Clark said. "Were his hands flailing, did he use some vulgarity? Yes. But his speech was, 'We are the best in the NFL at this. They can't stop us doing this.' What's wrong with that?"

Clark didn't find fault with another topic that has driven NFL discussion this week: the message that Brandon Meriweather sent when he said he would target receivers' knees after serving a one-game suspension.

The Washington Redskins safety was suspended by the NFL for repeatedly violating the rule that prohibits hitting defenseless players in the head.

"Obviously the position that he's in makes him sound angry, makes it sounds a little more cruel than it truly is," Clark said of Meriweather's comments. "But what he's saying is extremely true or has a lot of fact to in the sense that the one place we know we can hit guys and you won't get fined is extremely low.

"What he says makes a lot of sense to me. You just wish he was in a better position emotionally to where people can really understand it and really know that he's only saying he's trying to be as safe as possible as far as not getting fined, not getting suspended, not getting penalized."

The NFL's crackdown on dangerous hits has forced defensive backs to lower their hitting targets, and there have been several instances this season when a receiver has suffered a serious knee injury because he got hit low.

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown said he doesn't worry about getting hit -- whether it is high or low.

"It's football," Brown said. "We signed up for it. You put your big boy pads on and you come to play."
    I REEEAAALLLYYYY wish Clark would just shut his mouth. And he had to mention Tom Brady too? Haven't we learned our lesson here? What happens every time we trash talk with Brady before we play the Pats...? He comes out and kicks our a**.
    Last edited by SnakeEyes43; 10-30-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Fight
    He's speaking the truth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

Ryan Clark: Dez backlash "unfair"

Clark still a Steeler is unfair. Shut the F UP Clark!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I look forward to the day Clark is no longer on this team. He talks way too much.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

You consider what he said regarding Brady as trash talk? Lol come on now. He was pointing out the double standard based on player perceptions. He's right. Brady does that a couple times a year and no one makes a big deal about it like this.
    Last edited by Big T; 10-31-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Big T,

What he's saying is correct. But it's always "him" saying something. He needs to just shut up like the majority of the players in the league.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Ryan Clark really needs to move on to his next career as a media talking head since his play this year has been very bad....You can tell Clark really doesn't give a **** anymore and really isn't throwing his body around like he was known to do in years past which was his game was all about....BEING PHYSICAL.......

Rookie Free Agent
    Clark? Pro-Tip: you get paid to be a cover corner. You suck at your job. How many picks do you have... uh... Oh yeah: Zero

I wish I could get paid to not do my job.

Most of you guys reading these posts have a better pick stat than this clown does. Shoot, I had 5 in 1 season and I was a skinny white guy (still am!). It ain't rocket surgery: predict the pass. Catch it. Done.
    Last edited by Tango-9; 10-31-2013 at 02:57 AM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango-9 View Post
    Clark? Pro-Tip: you get paid to be a cover corner.
    Clark is a safety, not a corner.

lol not the biggest clark fan but damn...this thread

Thread Information