Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: So sick of this team losing to inferior competition...

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #31
    Veteran TarlsQtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,349
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    I didn't cherry pick stats.
    Of course you did and are doing it again in this very post. You are using one stat (completion percentage) and using it as a proxy for proof that Ben is playing as well as any other season.

    The discussion was whether he was hitting his receivers. None of the stats you posted (many with worthless projected stats) measure whether or not he's hitting his receivers like simple completion percentage. Once again, since you've been schooled like the fool you are, his CURRENT COMPLETION PERCENTAGE IS OVER 66 PERCENT. HE'S AT HIS CAREER AVERAGE.
    "Projected" stats are no more worthless than any other, such as "career average completion percentage." You are only saying that because it does not fit your narrative. It is just another example of cherry picking. You are OK with "career average" but a season projection is no good because it makes your boy toy look bad.

    Claiming it's due to the circumstances of the game is a nonsensical argument. Those circumstances must be consisdered a constant for all players at all times. It's part of the game and the numbers. Half of Mannings stats are stat padding garbage time stats, but it's part of his overall numbers.
    No, it is not a "constant." In general, QB stats are pumped up by playing from behind late in the game (which the Steelers have done a lot of this season) while RB stats are pumped up by playing from ahead. This has been true since the leather helmet days and just shows how much denial you are in. Manning is a beast because he plays well in ALL FOUR QUARTERS, something Ben has struggled with in his career.

    If Roetglisberger wasn't missing the receivers he's been missing, then he would be playing better than ever before, whiich makes no sense since he should be getting worse given his age.
    Ben is in his prime years. He is not an "old" QB yet.

    Stop staring at the QBs *** for 60 minutes. 10 other guys on the field.
    You are the one obviously mesmerized by watching number 7. Do you have "I <3 Ben" on your spiral notebook?
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

  2. #32
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ban City
    Posts
    5,175

    So sick of this team losing to inferior competition...

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    His completion percentage for the season is just over 66 percent. Aaron Rodgers is just over 67 percent. Gane by game, Roethlisberger has had two games where his completion percentage was less than 60 percent.

    You and the few others on this site who keep bitching and moaning about Roethlisberger missing receivers sound like one of two possible individuals:

    a) someone who is expecting a player to play better than the best players in the league and carry the team on his shoulder.

    b) someone that is dumb and has no idea what they're talking about.

    Roethlisberger is not completing anymore passes than he already is. It's like asking a .325 hitter in baseball to get more hits. It's unreasonable and unrealistic.
    You should look at completion % by attempt distance for a more accurate picture... Comparing Rodgers and Bens completion percentage is really daft...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    NPB - As long as I breath I will ban you.

  3. #33
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ban City
    Posts
    5,175

    So sick of this team losing to inferior competition...

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    I didn't cherry pick stats. The discussion was whether he was hitting his receivers. None of the stats you posted (many with worthless projected stats) measure whether or not he's hitting his receivers like simple completion percentage. Once again, since you've been schooled like the fool you are, his CURRENT COMPLETION PERCENTAGE IS OVER 66 PERCENT. HE'S AT HIS CAREER AVERAGE.

    Claiming it's due to the circumstances of the game is a nonsensical argument. Those circumstances must be consisdered a constant for all players at all times. It's part of the game and the numbers. Half of Mannings stats are stat padding garbage time stats, but it's part of his overall numbers.

    If Roetglisberger wasn't missing the receivers he's been missing, then he would be playing better than ever before, whiich makes no sense since he should be getting worse given his age.

    Stop staring at the QBs *** for 60 minutes. 10 other guys on the field.
    So the difference between his career YPA and his YPA this year, while maintaining his career Comp % is completely over your head?

    Homer blinders or just dumb?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    NPB - As long as I breath I will ban you.

  4. #34
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ban City
    Posts
    5,175

    So sick of this team losing to inferior competition...

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    The whole team stalls in the redzone. That's a Steelers problem, not just a Roethlisberger problem. That's been the biggest issue with this team for years now. Horrible redzone scheme and execution and failing to put significant points on the board.
    Yup it's been a problem for YEARS now... And there is ONE constant.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    NPB - As long as I breath I will ban you.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Of course you did and are doing it again in this very post. You are using one stat (completion percentage) and using it as a proxy for proof that Ben is playing as well as any other season.



    "Projected" stats are no more worthless than any other, such as "career average completion percentage." You are only saying that because it does not fit your narrative. It is just another example of cherry picking. You are OK with "career average" but a season projection is no good because it makes your boy toy look bad.



    No, it is not a "constant." In general, QB stats are pumped up by playing from behind late in the game (which the Steelers have done a lot of this season) while RB stats are pumped up by playing from ahead. This has been true since the leather helmet days and just shows how much denial you are in. Manning is a beast because he plays well in ALL FOUR QUARTERS, something Ben has struggled with in his
    I wasn't cherry picking BECAUSE WE WERE SPECIFICALLY TALKING ABOUT ROETHLISBERGER "MISSING." IN OTHER WORDS, ACCURACY! Did the caps clear it up for you, or are you still a bit senile today? Next.

    Projected stats compared to career stats are like comparing weather forecasts to climate data. You're an idiot. Next.

    Garbage time stats are a constant. They always exist in all players' stats. Whether a team is up by a lot or down by a lot. If you remove garbage time stats for all players then they would all basically have the same stats relative to one another.
    You're too stupid to understand that.

    Add to that your original definition of garbage time ("teams playing from behind in the 3rd and 4th quarter"). So all stats by players on teams who accumulated those stats by playing while down in the 3rd and 4th quarter are considered garbage time stats? That should be the winner for stupidest thing said on this board for 2013.

  6. #36
    Veteran TarlsQtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,349
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    So the difference between his career YPA and his YPA this year, while maintaining his career Comp % is completely over your head?

    Homer blinders or just dumb?
    There are TONS of stats that can be used to make Ben look bad if we wanted to but NYC will stick with is completion percentage (again, cherrypicking) because it is one of the few that supports his point. Some examples:

    The last time he had a higher INT percentage was 2008.
    Yards per attempt-3rd worst of his career
    Yards per completion-Worst of his career
    ESPN QBR (stat kept since 2008)-Worst of career, 21 points behind his career high, 16 points behind last season, 22nd in league. Some of the company he is in:

    19. Flacco 20. Bradford 21. Hoyer 22. Ben 23. Pryor 24. Ponder 25. EJ Manuel

    Again, I think Ben is better than ALL of these QBs and is the least of our problems. It is systemic. Ben playing better would help the rest of the offense and others on the offense playing better would help Ben. The problem is that some take mild criticism of Ben as a worse affront than B-slapping their mother.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,453
    How do yards per attempt and yards per completion reflect the QBs play anymore than they reflect the offensive scheme and the play of the receivers? The answer is it doesn't. You're throwing out $hit stats like QBR. His INT percentage is high because he's just not throwing TDs. The team isn't scoring. He isn't throwing an unusually high number of INTs.

    Stop throwing out $hit stats. They only make you look even more biased.

    Roethlisberger has had 2 bad games this season. He's had 2 great games. And the rest have been good. That's exactly what the numbers say and that's pretty accurate overall. Based on his personal numbers, the team should be 5-2 or 4-3 at worst. 2-5 is in no way reflective of his play. If you think that, then you're just a QB groupie and give them way too much credit and way too much blame.

  8. #38
    Veteran TarlsQtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,349
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    I wasn't cherry picking BECAUSE WE WERE SPECIFICALLY TALKING ABOUT ROETHLISBERGER "MISSING." IN OTHER WORDS, ACCURACY! Did the caps clear it up for you, or are you still a bit senile today? Next.
    Wrong. The conversation started with me talking about Ben missing open receivers AND MAKING POOR DECISIONS. Did the caps clear it up for you? If not, look at post 7 of this very thread where this conversation started. You chose to "cherry pick" missing open receivers and the stats associated with it.

    Projected stats compared to career stats are like comparing weather forecasts to climate data. You're an idiot. Next.
    According to you. In the real world, people see a large enough sample size (7 games) as a perfectly acceptable indicator of how people are doing. Your logic is akin to this: You have two months to complete a large project. Two weeks from the due date, your boss asks how much you have done and you say 10 percent. I can see him reaming you out and you coming up with an idiot response, "Projections do not mean anything!" lol

    Garbage time stats are a constant. They always exist in all players' stats. Whether a team is up by a lot or down by a lot. If you remove garbage time stats for all players then they would all basically have the same stats relative to one another.
    You're too stupid to understand that.
    What a maroon. You cannot see that a QB on a 14-2 team has far less opportunity to pad stats against a soft D in garbage time than a QB on a 2-14 team? Are you claiming it a coincidence that Ben's 4 highest yardage games this year came when we were behind the entire game and lost?

    Let's make it even SIMPLER for you. If we are behind 28-10 midway through the third quarter on Sunday, will we pass more than usual or run more than usual?

    If we are ahead 28-10 midway through the third quarter on Sunday, will we pass more than usual or run more than usual?

    If we suck and are behind much more often than in our Super Bowl seasons, will it increase or decrease a QB's chances to put completions up against a defense playing soft? You REALLY cannot figure that out?

    Add to that your original definition of garbage time ("teams playing from behind in the 3rd and 4th quarter"). So all stats by players on teams who accumulated those stats by playing while down in the 3rd and 4th quarter are considered garbage time stats? That should be the winner for stupidest thing said on this board for 2013.
    See above. ALL teams have "garbage time" stats and no one said otherwise. However, Alex Smith does not have NEARLY as much as Ben because he is playing with the lead on an 8-0 team. Meanwhile, Ben has more 'garbage time" stats because he is playing from behind on a 2-5 team. You pass more against softer defenses when behind a lot. It is too obvious to even argue.

    Likewise, Jamaal Charles has more "garbage time" yards because he plays on an 8-0 team with a lead. Our backs do not get that luxury nearly as much because you run less when behind late in a game.

    You are comparing Ben's stats from this year's 2-5 team against his stats when he was playing on a team much more similar to this year's Chiefs (playoff teams). Sorry, but they are padded in comparison. True, other factors are a part of it as well but you are not even smart enough to acknowledge that I am a Ben fan and generally defend him. I see the problems he has to deal with. If you would take your head out of the pillow and stop being his pillow biter, you would see where Ben has fallen short as well.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

  9. #39
    Veteran TarlsQtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,349
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    This is my last post to you on this thread. You are a damn fool and your above statement illustrates it perfectly. You lack even basic knowledge. Case in point:
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    His INT percentage is high because he's just not throwing TDs.
    INT percentage has NOTHING to do with how many TDs he has thrown. It is simply #INTs/passes attempted.

    Case closed.

    Not to mention that maybe, just maybe, Ben should get a little of the blame for "just not throwing TDs."
    Last edited by TarlsQtr; 10-29-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

  10. #40
    Head Coach LatrobePA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    THIS IS MY HOUSE BITCHES
    Posts
    12,807

    So sick of this team losing to inferior competition...

    Just sick of losing..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is Tomlin losing this team?
    By steelchamp204 in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 06:55 PM
  2. Losing Wallace Mock 1.7
    By MDSteel15 in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-26-2012, 02:24 PM
  3. Flozell Adams sick of losing
    By Scorp in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 01:39 AM
  4. Can't see you guys losing to New Orleans
    By SufferinginCleveland in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 09:36 PM
  5. Pirates win by losing
    By xxxsteelernation in forum Pirates Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 12:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •