Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: House Cleaning Time

Bookmark and Share
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LASVEGASGUY View Post
    Winning the Super Bowl in 1980 and inheriting the team in 1992 is a lot different then inheriting at team that won the Super Bowl two years prior. You can try to discredit what Cowher did but it just isn't going to work. As for the late 90's when we had two bad season Cowher was feuding with Donahue over something and as far as we know he told the Rooney's either he goes or I go. The Rooney's kept Cowher and the run to 2006 began. What's Tomlin's excuse for 7 years of bad drafting, losing to Tim Tebow in a playoff game and losing 12 of the last 16 games including the preseason? Tomlin's act is about as old as Lebeau's age. Time to blow this **** up in Pittsburgh and start over with a real coach not some Rooney Rule example. By the way putting Tomlin in the same sentence as Cowher is laughable.
    Great post, and it really is laughable because comparing Tomlin to Cowher is equivalent to comparing O'Donnell, Stewart, Brister, Graham and Maddox to Roethlisberger. Cowher got a franchise QB and he did what good head coaches do with franchise QBs: he won. Not only did he win, but he won in 2 years, which is still the only time in NFL history that a second year QB won the SB.

It doesn't matter if Cowher was supposedly responsible for having all those bad QBs, which is pure speculation. It doesn't matter if Cowher supposedly wanted to pass on Roethlisberger, another speculative story that Cowher has never admitted. All the matters is that those band of losers were Cowher's QBs and he had more success than Tomlin is now having with an excellent QB.

Assistant Coach

House Cleaning Time

The cowher/Tomlin argument is so funny... But highly entertaining to watch people twist and contort the arguments to fit it...
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    The cowher/Tomlin argument is so funny... But highly entertaining to watch people twist and contort the arguments to fit it...
    It goes on a lot around here. When a guy you dislike f*cks up, he's terrible and there's no excuse. When a guy you like f*cks up, it's someone else's fault.

My Mood
    Ratbirds

House Cleaning Time

Agreed, especially when one was accusing others of being QB fanboys who watch no one else on the field and then turns around and uses no one but the QB to make his point. It is like arguing with an Alzheimer's patient who forgets what he said 20 minutes before.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    It goes on a lot around here. When a guy you dislike f*cks up, he's terrible and there's no excuse. When a guy you like f*cks up, it's someone else's fault.
    So true. Like the way that Ike Taylor got torched up by Dobson. People who like Taylor, ignore the numbers and say that it was the safties fault. But if Taylor has a decent game, it was all Taylor and the safety isn't mentioned.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Agreed, especially when one was accusing others of being QB fanboys who watch no one else on the field and then turns around and uses no one but the QB to make his point. It is like arguing with an Alzheimer's patient who forgets what he said 20 minutes before.
    "Tomlin won with Cowher's guys!!!!"

wait which guys did Cowher win with? oh right... the same guys.... so... we've established that they are both capable of winning with good players... terrific. can we move on now?

lol

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    So true. Like the way that Ike Taylor got torched up by Dobson. People who like Taylor, ignore the numbers and say that it was the safties fault. But if Taylor has a decent game, it was all Taylor and the safety isn't mentioned.
    ^ he doesn't even realize the irony....

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    ^ he doesn't even realize the irony....
    RDS has spent the last 20 minutes looking at his wrinkled clothes...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    RDS,

Perhaps you should stop pretending you know the slightest thing about football. From the Boston Globe:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...bFI/story.html

Steelers’ Ryan Clark guessed wrong on TD catch

FOXBOROUGH — Ryan Clark was gambling and he knew it.

The Patriots were on their way to running for 197 yards as a team Sunday and throwing for 413, and all the Pittsburgh Steelers could do was guess which one was coming.

On first and 10 from the 19 with the Steelers trailing, 41-31, late in the third quarter, Clark’s job was to play the pass.

But his gut told him to play the run.

When Patriots quarterback Tom Brady aired out a deep ball for wideout Aaron Dobson, safety Clark realized how wrong his hunch was.

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor was left on an island by himself. Dobson was on his way to the end zone. Clark was sprinting full-speed, trying in vain to chase him down.

So many things about their 55-31 loss to the Patriots were hard for the Steelers to swallow, but that 81-yard touchdown did as much to bruise a proud team’s ego as anything.

“It’s like any loss,” Clark said. “You hate that you lost. You hate that you’re the reason that you lost. We had a chance to get back in it there and I was trying to do too much, left Ike hanging on the outside, gave up a big play.”

“Everybody had played well enough for us to get back into the game and I gave that play up and there was no chance for us to come back after that.”

The blowout put the Patriots and the Steelers on opposite ends of history.

The Steelers set a franchise record for points allowed, one-upping the 54 points the 1941 Steelers gave up to the Green Bay Packers.

It was the seventh time in team history the Steelers gave up 50 points or more but just the first since 1991, when Buffalo hung 52 on them.

It was the sixth time the Patriots scored at least 50 points in a game started by Brady, who put up his 432 yards on 23-of-33 passing with four TDs. It was the 15th time in his career that he’s thrown four touchdowns and no picks in a game, carving up a Steelers team that came in with the second-best pass defense in the league.

“We didn’t do the things that you have to do to win football games,” Clark said. “From the first snap to the last, we were beat by a much better team. By a team who executed better, who played more physical. When you allow a team to do all those things better than you do, you give up 50-something points, and that’s what we did today. It’s embarrassing for ourselves but more so the organization. This isn’t not an organization that does that, that gives up points like that. But what can you say, it’s on film now.”

With eight penalties for 96 yards, the Steelers didn’t do themselves any favors.

The secondary was the biggest culprit.

Pittsburgh had only been flagged for pass interference twice in the first eight weeks of the season. They were called for three of them Sunday — two on the same second-quarter drive.

With a shrug and a smirk, Clark said, “We played the Patriots man. Stuff like that happens.”

Troy Polamalu, Shamarko Thomas, and William Gay racked up 55 yards worth of pass interference penalties between them.

“They were good throws,” Clark said. “Guys had chances to catch the ball. We had chances to make plays on it. Sometimes that happens. It’s split-second decisions you have to make both mentally and physically and they make the calls.”

To coach Mike Tomlin, the flags told more about the Steelers than who they were facing.

“It’s just indicative of how we performed tonight,” Tomlin said.

Clark put the blame on his shoulders.

“I’m the hub of communication,” Clark said. “I need to make sure everybody’s on the same page. So I put that on me. When you’re the leader of the secondary, when it’s your job to make sure everyone is assignment-sound, you have to do that, especially against a guy like Tom Brady, and he had it working today.”

The loss left the Steelers with bleak hopes of returning to the playoffs, sitting at 2-6.

“We’re going to comb through this with a fine-toothed comb as we should and those people that are lacking effort won’t be playing,” Tomlin said. “It’s that simple.”

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    "Tomlin won with Cowher's guys!!!!"

wait which guys did Cowher win with? oh right... the same guys.... so... we've established that they are both capable of winning with good players... terrific. can we move on now?

lol
    I get your point, and you could also make an argument for Tomlin saying he won with less time getting to know the players. I think what it is, is that Tomlin fails to bring in impact players and his draft picks or draft picks on his watch have been bust. His dline is a joke. He's done nothing to address the secondary and Cowher was competitive with garbage QBs and Tomlinson teams have been bad with a franchise QB. And that's something no one thinks would happen with Cowher.
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

Thread Information