Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clark calling out Ben to not extend plays

Bookmark and Share
    Banned

Clark calling out Ben to not extend plays

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2hL5vfIFx

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Veteran safety Ryan Clark did not back down from comments he made on ESPN on the Steelers' bye week that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has to "tone down" his game if the Steelers are going to be successful.
    Clark said Roethlisberger has a tendency to improvise too much at times and that style might have something to do with the team's first 0-4 start since 1968.
    "We have to tone Ben down in a sense and say, 'Hey, right now, we're not a good enough football team for you to try to extend plays, for us to take sacks, for us to have turnovers,' " Clark said on ESPN.
    Clark was asked Wednesday to clarify his remarks.
    "When asked a question about Ben, I said, we need to protect Ben," Clark said. "And, when I say that, [I mean] defense, we need to make plays so he doesn't feel like he has to do everything. Offensively, we need to protect him so he can get the ball out on his fifth step; receivers need to get open, running backs need to run the ball.

"But, in that as well, I feel like he needs to understand that, as constructed right now, we aren't playing well enough right now as a team to where we can take sacks and have turnovers. So, as a team, that's a team solution.
    "But the quarterback has to spearhead it. He's our guy, he's our leader, he makes the plays, he's the reason we have two Super Bowl wins and been to three. We have to find ways to help him not feel like he has to do that."
    When told of Clark's comments, Roethlisberger said he is not going to change his style.
    "I didn't hear about [that]," Roethlisberger said. "It is what it is. I'm just going to play the game the way that I play it and try not to turn it over."
    When asked if he appreciated a teammate commenting on his play, Roethlisberger responded: "That's the great thing about this country we live in. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and allowed to say what they want. If Ryan feels that way, then that's fine."
    It was the second consecutive week that there has been some back and forth between two of the team's captains. After the Steelers lost to the Minnesota Vikings to fall to 0-4, Roethlisberger said the Steelers might be the worst team in the league. Clark said Roethlisberger was being "dramatic" when he said that. Roethlisberger later clarified his comments and said he was viewing it strictly from a win-loss perspective.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2hQNIe1fB

Clark just talks talks talks

My Mood
    Impatient
    Translation, "I'm a terrible safety and I need you to cover that up."

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free

Draft Pick
    Clark knows he sucks and he needs to get ready for his next career in the media.

He's a poison and the sooner he's out of Pittsburgh the better.

lol ok calm down everyone. Im not his biggest fan and hes got a big mouth, hes not quite "poison" though lol

Starter
    How else is this team supposed to win? By making tackles? By making interceptions? By causing fumbles? That ain't happening. The only player at this point who can win or lose the game is BR. Ryan Clark, to this point, has been a no-show. Ben has to take risks or the team does will not win as 90 percent of the team are asleep in the backseat being driven around. Clark is one of them. They need to wake up.

He's a big mouth, but he's not poison.

But yes, I'm just about ready for him to be gone. He's just not that great of a safety. A hard hitter, for sure, but he's pretty awful at times when it comes to coverage.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Banned
    He might have to shut his mouth, but he does have a point to title to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    He might have to shut his mouth, but he does have a point to title to be honest.
    Wow. Ben holds the ball and takes to many sacks?? Ben doesn't like to throw short routes?? Ben likes to wait for the big throw even if Wallace is gone?? How long has Clark been in the NFL and a football player??? This board is really smarter than Clark??? Clark went from killer DB to loser because he is telling Ben to get it together and play like a team player...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    Clark knows he sucks and he needs to get ready for his next career in the media.

He's a poison and the sooner he's out of Pittsburgh the better.
    Lol seriously? A poison? Jesus... Everything around here is so astronomically blown up. They love him in the lockerroom. They voted him a captain, did they not?

Thread Information