Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If we switched to a 4-3 defense.

Bookmark and Share
    He didnt choose to come back, he didnt have a choice

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    Chuck, first off..Thanks for responding to my private message...I will see if that works. As to Clowney, yeah I saw ESPN's First Take too. And that argument about Lattimore holds no weight. If he chose to comeback and play this season, then play. You can't worry about Injuries. If you do, thats when you get Injured. And as for his Ribs, the Medical staff took X-Rays, and found no bruising at all, or any Bruses on Clowney. So I tend to think this is a continued personal matter with the Head Coach. Clowney has already had arguments with Spurrier before about the defense, and how he is being used. Bottom line, I think Clowney IS Frustrated that he is NOT getting the stats that he wants...win total be damned..he wants HIS Stats so he can guarantee his draft status, that is falling. And that type of Me-first Attitude player is the kind of player I don't want in Pittsburgh Chuck. No matter how Individually talented that Clowney may be.
    really?
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    He didnt choose to come back, he didnt have a choice

Sure he did. He could have chosen to sit out the year, just go to classes, and entered the draft this year. Better that then show the type of Bad Attitude that he has shown this season. I mean when your own Head Coach has called you out, and won;t defend you, and NONE of his own teammates, and I mean not a single one has defended Clowney or his actions this season...that should tell you something.

Re: If we switched to a 4-3 defense.

So sitting out all year and not playing football would help his stock in the draft more then actually playing?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Re: If we switched to a 4-3 defense.

Wouldn't that also show that he is selfish and also only looking out for himself. Due to the fact that hed rather not risk getting hurt over helping his team?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Well woodley would be a DE or hed be traded, but timmons and jarvis would be awesome in a 43
    Perhaps, but we still wouldn't have the DL horses needed for a 4-3. That would take time (and many draft picks and even 1st day trades) to put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    Perhaps, but we still wouldn't have the DL horses needed for a 4-3. That would take time (and many draft picks and even 1st day trades) to put together.
    Woodley/Hood/Woods/Heyward/McLendon would be a decent start to be honest. It's not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    no wayyyyy it is not THAT hard of a transition, especially to an even front from an odd front. Are you going to end up with Julius Peppers, Warren Sapp, Suh, and Dwight freeney overnight? No, but you can probably put together a dline that can push the pocket and generate pressure that way without a top end edge rusher.

Assistant Coach
    no wayyyyy it is not THAT hard of a transition, especially to an even front from an odd front. Are you going to end up with Julius Peppers, Warren Sapp, Suh, and Dwight freeney overnight? No, but you can probably put together a dline that can push the pocket and generate pressure that way without a top end edge rusher.
    agreed. the difficulty of transitioning fronts is massively overrated. Yes, their are specific types of players who won't translate well (read:Hampton), but the vast majority can make the transition.

And the reality is that the most succesful defenses in the league are playing mixed fronts anyways. Look at Seattle and tell me what their front is. Yea, you can google depth charts and pretend that means they play a 4-3 base... but their defense is a mixed front with players using 5 tech on one snap, and then single gaping on the next... they have a rover DE position, that acts as a 3-4 OLB on one snap, and then a 4-3 DE on the next... **** he's practically a 4-3 Will in certain situations.

edit: I wasn't directing any of that at you K.

The biggest problem with the Steeler defense is it's own ideological purity.
    Last edited by NeilPatrickBanana; 10-07-2013 at 04:24 PM.
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    Chuck, first off..Thanks for responding to my private message...I will see if that works. As to Clowney, yeah I saw ESPN's First Take too. And that argument about Lattimore holds no weight. If he chose to comeback and play this season, then play. You can't worry about Injuries. If you do, thats when you get Injured. And as for his Ribs, the Medical staff took X-Rays, and found no bruising at all, or any Bruses on Clowney. So I tend to think this is a continued personal matter with the Head Coach. Clowney has already had arguments with Spurrier before about the defense, and how he is being used. Bottom line, I think Clowney IS Frustrated that he is NOT getting the stats that he wants...win total be damned..he wants HIS Stats so he can guarantee his draft status, that is falling. And that type of Me-first Attitude player is the kind of player I don't want in Pittsburgh Chuck. No matter how Individually talented that Clowney may be.
    I am not sure there is a more competitive coach at any level than Steve Spurrier. Not buying that argument about not using Clowney correctly.

Thread Information