Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger versus other "elite" QBs

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    Good point.

Bottom line, whether we think it's more talent then Haley, the fact is, if our offense struggles again this season no matter what the reason, Ben will insist on Haley being fired. So he will be. No team is gonna go against a top Franchise QB wishes. So we will just have to wait and see what happens the rest of the season.
    Just last year it looked Philip Rivers had lost it and he was started to be written off......Whisenhunt is the new OC and Rivers is reborn (well at least tonight).......After Redman's fumble when the Steelers were driving for six was the last straw for me......The Steelers had moved the ball via the passing and what did Haley do call a run to a bum RB instead of relying on his franchise QB......We still don't know if the Steelers would have scored a TD or not since they're lacking weapons in the red zone big time.... but still I would take my chances with Ben instead of Issac freaking Redman or any of those other bum RB's on the roster.....

Ben needs a run game, he is not a QB to carry a team week in and week out with his arm. No disrespect to him or anything. Just my opinion. The more he drops back, the more hits he will take also, which the team does not need.

Roethlisberger versus other "elite" QBs

I believe Ben is in the wrong system.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted
    I believe Haley has the wrong system.

2nd String
    A receiver is as good as his catches. A QB is as good as his throws.

Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Now you're putting words in my mouth. I never said they were "on the same level of receiving cores that Brady, Brees, Rodgers and the Mannings have had"... My point was, those quarterbacks have shown the ability to make average WRs (Austin Collie, Blair White, Julian Edleman, James Jones, Robert Meachum, etc...) look much, much better than they actually are. I do believe that those quarterbacks, in their respective systems, would have some success with our group. I understand the frustrations, I honestly do (especially the fact that we have no #1 receiver), but the O line is the main issue with the team at the moment. Ben can make this group work, especially with the addition of Heath Miller in the not too distant future, if he can get a little more time in the pocket.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    Ben has 3 SB appearances to his credit...with 2 wins. That's putting talent around him. Also, the one things those other QB's have to make those WR look better is actual POCKET TIME! Not to mention they have offensive schemes that aren't Incompetent!!
    exactly right.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    Ben needs a run game, he is not a QB to carry a team week in and week out with his arm. No disrespect to him or anything. Just my opinion. The more he drops back, the more hits he will take also, which the team does not need.
    A run game? Do you even watch the NFL or do you just watch highlight reels from the 90s? And aren't you the one who was ranting and raving about how good the team looked after the draft? Yeah. They look fantastic.

Assistant Coach
    It's futile to compare Ben to Peyton, Brady, Rodgers... he's not in their league... as much as our fan base doesn't want to hear that...

the reality is...
    Ben isn't a system QB
    Ben isn't an elite pocket passer
    Ben IS an elite playmaker
    Return of the Banana

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Now you're putting words in my mouth. I never said they were "on the same level of receiving cores that Brady, Brees, Rodgers and the Mannings have had"... My point was, those quarterbacks have shown the ability to make average WRs (Austin Collie, Blair White, Julian Edleman, James Jones, Robert Meachum, etc...) look much, much better than they actually are. I do believe that those quarterbacks, in their respective systems, would have some success with our group. I understand the frustrations, I honestly do (especially the fact that we have no #1 receiver), but the O line is the main issue with the team at the moment. Ben can make this group work, especially with the addition of Heath Miller in the not too distant future, if he can get a little more time in the pocket.
    The line is a bigger problem than the receivers. Agreed. If the line was lights out like the lines that most elite QBs usually have, then less than stellar WRs can be made to work. Agreed. But if a team has an average or slightly better than average line, then a real playmaking WR can make a huge difference, specifically by forcing defenses to drop back, which then takes pressure off the line and the QB, which then opens things up for the other receivers. A real #1 receiver changes the entire dynamic of an offense and forces respect from the opposing defense.

This team's offensive line is not even below average AND they don't have a real #1 receiver. There is ZERO respect for this offense by opposing defenses. They rarely need to drop back extra defenders and they can just send most right at the QB every time without fear of a line stopping them or a WR exposing them. This line probably faces more pressure than any other line in the NFL. Their naturally bad play is only exacerbated by the way defenses constantly go at them as a result of this team not having any real offensive weapons.

And your point about elite QBs making their no-name #2 and #3 receivers look good really didn't counter the point that their receiving units as a whole were simply better than the Steelers current receiving unit. If Roethlisberger had a real #1, he would make his no-name #2 and #3 look good as well.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    The line is a bigger problem than the receivers. Agreed. If the line was lights out like the lines that most elite QBs usually have, then less than stellar WRs can be made to work. Agreed.
    Rodgers line is garbage...
    The Olines in Indy during Peyton's prime were garbage...
    Brady's oline this year is average at best...

This team's offensive line is not even below average AND they don't have a real #1 receiver. There is ZERO respect for this offense by opposing defenses. They rarely need to drop back extra defenders and they can just send most right at the QB every time without fear of a line stopping them or a WR exposing them. This line probably faces more pressure than any other line in the NFL. Their naturally bad play is only exacerbated by the way defenses constantly go at them as a result of this team not having any real offensive weapons.
    Then the QB should make pre-snap hot reads into the empy zone being blitzed from...
    Return of the Banana

Thread Information