Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Fernando Velasco (Center/Guard)

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Because a starter quality lineman is not going to take a huge paycut to be a backup. Think about it. Say he signed with a team as a backup. Pouncey goes down and he cannot start for the Steelers because he is languishing on the bench for another team. If he plays well for us, he then has leverage in 2014 which he does not have if he spends the season as a backup.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
    Exactly, he gambled an opportunity would come along where he would get to start, earn more than the minimum, and increase his chances to sign to a longer deal after the season.

As I stated in another thread he took control of the situation, bet on himself (and on the unfortunate possibility of an injury to someone) and his gamble paid off. The rest is determined by his performance.

Now why didn't we sign him before the season, and move Pouncey to guard......:facepalm:. It doesn't always have to be a home run signing, draft, etc. Little improvements are improvements regardless. The decision makers on this team (you know who you are) need to swallow their pride and do exactly what they tell the players to do every week, and that is put the team before yourself.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Best option available, I guess.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    It's a really good signing especially in the sense that Velasco has some long term value (unlike Wallace who is more of a career backup...)
    Who's Wallace?

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    at least they didnt bring back Legs!

Now if we can get rid of the 8-10 scrubs on our roster who have no business in a steelers uni let alone the nfl
    Legs has a broken leg. Never to be heard from again.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Oh I'm not complaining, if he's the best that's out there I'm ecstatic. Although I would have went to war with Beachum too, but this just adds some depth back. I couldn't stand knowing we were one high ankle sprain from seeing Whimper.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityShaker View Post
    Exactly, he gambled an opportunity would come along where he would get to start, earn more than the minimum, and increase his chances to sign to a longer deal after the season.

As I stated in another thread he took control of the situation, bet on himself (and on the unfortunate possibility of an injury to someone) and his gamble paid off. The rest is determined by his performance.

Now why didn't we sign him before the season, and move Pouncey to guard......:facepalm:. It doesn't always have to be a home run signing, draft, etc. Little improvements are improvements regardless. The decision makers on this team (you know who you are) need to swallow their pride and do exactly what they tell the players to do every week, and that is put the team before yourself.
    No.... here's my point.

We've all had thoughts and ideas about Pouncey being moved to guard. He did a great job at guard. So, factoring in our line depth in general, why wasn't this guy signed, Pouncey moved to guard and make our overall O-line better in general anyway? We've all debated back and forth on Pouncey's best position. This guy should have been added not only for depth purposes..but to allow Pouncey to be moved to guard possibly. Sorry about not being more specific.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Steelers sign Fernando Velasco (Center/Guard)

Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Not like Pouncey was setting the world in fire. I feel for him but he's tapered off a bit.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Not like Pouncey was setting the world in fire. I feel for him but he's tapered off a bit.

Hate seeing anyone get injured. But time to move on. He will likely never wear the Steeler uniform ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
    It was thought that Velasco was going to keep his starting center spot on the Titans this year, not get cut entirely. He had a pretty big number attached to him but the Titans front office said that money wasn't the issue...but draw your own conclusions. He's a good center who had earned the job last year and so a number of people were a little surprised that the organization cut ties. But he's a good center and best available.
    Thanks for the info, Sevenfeet!

I like the signing, and I still think we should root around for some other OLine help out there. Why not Starks for a backup role?

Thread Information