Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Fernando Velasco (Center/Guard)

Bookmark and Share
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    the only thing you've confirmed is your own stupidity

Velasco is a starter
    Wallace is a backup

you pay backups to perform a backup role (substitutions, short term fill ins)
    you don't pay starter money for backups

now that they need a new STARTER, they have signed a starter caliber player

That's ridiculous. I'm not calling anyone we have right now a better option then this guy. Which is my point. He was a starter on a O-Line. We could have gotten him 2 weeks ago. And there is NO WAY this guy was refusing any offers JUST because they could not guarantee him a starting job.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    Sorry but, I don't buy it. This guy had zero leverage a week from the start of the season. All he could hope for is if a team suffered a Injury, like we did. But he still Isn't gonna get anymore money then Back-up money at this stage, so what difference does it make ? Whether Tennesse cut him for salary purposes or whatever, if he truly had GAME...he would have been signed by someone. There are plenty of teams with huge question marks on the OL. And if you're a Center, that means you can also start at Guard. They are basically the same position, except as a Center you snap the ball. So it's good we got someone, cause we needed it. But this guy is no long term answer either.
    starting for a full season vs riding the bench for a full season, makes a huge difference....

guard/center are not "basically the same position"

you should take a break from making statements
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    That's ridiculous. I'm not calling anyone we have right now a better option then this guy. Which is my point. He was a starter on a O-Line. We could have gotten him 2 weeks ago. And there is NO WAY this guy was refusing any offers JUST because they could not guarantee him a starting job.
    it's easy to see how you have trouble understanding the move and it's easier for you to place blame on Tomlin (you mean Colbert)...

didn't you tell us just a few days ago that Willis McGahee hadn;t signed because he was holding out for more than the vet minimum?
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    it's easy to see how you have trouble understanding the move and it's easier for you to place blame on Tomlin (you mean Colbert)...

didn't you tell us just a few days ago that Willis McGahee hadn;t signed because he was holding out for more than the vet minimum?

Yes I did. And there is a difference. RB's can be substituted at anytime. As where O-Linemen are not. Only because of a Injury will they go out. There is a huge difference. Look, I like the guy. He has starting experience at Guard and Center. We need that. Especially over the scrubs that Tomlin Kept. I hope he works out for us.

My Mood
    Woot
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    As long as he puts on some armor plating around his knees he should be fine.

Bwahahaha...so true

Banned
    His agility numbers coming out in the draft

Campus: 5.16 in the 40-yard dash … 440-pound bench press … 500-pound squat … 326-pound power clean … 32 1/8-inch arm length … 10 -inch hands … Ambidextrous.

Ambidextrous...That's a bonus. That means he probably has good balance, and equal strength with either Arm.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I heard this guy graded out as the 11th best Center last year. If so, then why wasn't he on our roster in the first place? As bad as we've been needing O-line depth.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Steelers sign Fernando Velasco (Center/Guard)

Good signing, thanks for the thread.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    I heard this guy graded out as the 11th best Center last year. If so, then why wasn't he on our roster in the first place? As bad as we've been needing O-line depth.
    Because a starter quality lineman is not going to take a huge paycut to be a backup. Think about it. Say he signed with a team as a backup. Pouncey goes down and he cannot start for the Steelers because he is languishing on the bench for another team. If he plays well for us, he then has leverage in 2014 which he does not have if he spends the season as a backup.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    at least they didnt bring back Legs!

Now if we can get rid of the 8-10 scrubs on our roster who have no business in a steelers uni let alone the nfl
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Thread Information