Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Fernando Velasco (Center/Guard)

Bookmark and Share
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    No. I suspect we would not have signed Velasco if Heath was back. It is not that Beachum cannot do the job but he is needed in other areas. In some ways, Beachum is one of the most important players on the team because he can play anywhere on the line. Beachum is needed at TE to block for the run game and to be available for any other in game injuries.

But players like Malecki and Whimper were kept to be Center Back-ups...why not this guy when he had the chance ? I hope he works out. But it's still stupidity on Tomlin's part.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Velasco was the best move. Still, we have come a long way from Mike Webster and Dermontti Dawson. In the last few years, Mahan, Hartwig, Legursky, and Beachum have all snapped the ball.

That is a slight drop off. ;-)
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Starter
    My Mood
    Cool
    I think guy whimper might play a big part now too.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    But players like Malecki and Whimper were kept to be Center Back-ups...why not this guy when he had the chance ? I hope he works out. But it's still stupidity on Tomlin's part.
    Two points. I suspect Velasco wanted to and knew he should start. Why would he sign to be a backup?

Why should the Steelers give him starter money (which he would want) to backup?

It takes two to sign a player.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

I missed the game because of a ****ing wedding, but ive been watching throughout the day. Beachem is not a bad player

Waterboy
    The other thing about Velasco is that he's fully capable of being at full speed with you guys immediately. He was in the Titans camp for the entire period until final cuts 10 days ago. It's not like he's been sitting a year without a job.

Banned
    Two points. I suspect Velasco wanted to and knew he should start. Why would he sign to be a backup?

Sorry but, I don't buy it. This guy had zero leverage a week from the start of the season. All he could hope for is if a team suffered a Injury, like we did. But he still Isn't gonna get anymore money then Back-up money at this stage, so what difference does it make ? Whether Tennesse cut him for salary purposes or whatever, if he truly had GAME...he would have been signed by someone. There are plenty of teams with huge question marks on the OL. And if you're a Center, that means you can also start at Guard. They are basically the same position, except as a Center you snap the ball. So it's good we got someone, cause we needed it. But this guy is no long term answer either.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    Okay but, if this guy was available back when....all I see is Tomlin confirming his own stupidity. I mean all he is saying is that he kept the wrong players. I mean we have back-ups already, even for Pouncey. But, after those back-ups play less then 1 game, Tomlin is admitting that they are no good, so he signs this guy ?...A guy who has been out there all this time ?

To me, this is just further proof of Tomlin's Incompetance.
    the only thing you've confirmed is your own stupidity

Velasco is a starter
    Wallace is a backup

you pay backups to perform a backup role (substitutions, short term fill ins)
    you don't pay starter money for backups

now that they need a new STARTER, they have signed a starter caliber player
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Info needs to be verified by a link. Nice try.

As long as he puts on some armor plating around his knees he should be fine.

Assistant Coach

exactly

Velasco wasn't going to take the minimum to ridge the bench... but with an opportunity to start for a season and earn a long term job (somewhere), he is much more inclined to sign
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Info needs to be verified by a link. Nice try.

Thread Information