Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injuries and the 53

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach

Injuries and the 53

The Steelers have some difficult choices to make in how they manage the 53 man roster in the first 6 weeks...
    Spaeth and Bell can't go on PUP

Will they use the new "IR designated to Return" rule on one of them (spaeth/bell). My understanding is that the designation will allow the player to be brought back to the active roster 8 weeks after he is placed on the list.

Will they start Heath on PUP? He would then be eligible to return after week 6.
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

Heath is off the PUP i believe or soon will be

I think they might as well IR bell or spaeth, whoever is looking at a longer recovery time (i imagine they will have a better idea next week)

To Start the Season Off:

QB
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Bruce Gradkowski
    Landry Jones

RB
    Jonathan Dwyer
    Isaac Redman
    LaRod Stephens-Howling
    Baron Bath

FB
    Will Johnson
    David Johnson FB/TE Until heath can play

WR
    Antonio Brown
    Emmanuel Sanders
    Markus Wheaton
    Jerricho Cotchery
    Justin Brown
    Reggie Dunn (RS)

TE
    Heath Miller
    Matt Spaeth
    David Paulson

OL
    Mike Adams
    Ramon Foster
    Maurkice Pouncey
    David DeCastro
    Marcus Gilbert
    Kelvin Beachum
    John Malecki

DL
    Brett Keisel
    Steve McLendon
    Evander Hood
    Cameron Heyward
    Al Woods
    Alameda Ta'amu

LB
    Jason Worilds
    Lawrence Timmons
    Larry Foote
    LaMarr Woodley
    Jarvis Jones
    Marshall McFadden
    Adrian Robinson
    Vince Williams

CB
    Ike Taylor
    Cortez Allen
    William Gay
    Curtis Brown
    Josh Victorian
    Terry Hawthorne

S
    Troy Polamalu
    Ryan Clark
    Shamarko Thomas
    Robert Golden
    DaMon Cromartie-Smith

ST
    LS Greg Warren
    K Shaun Suisham
    P Drew Butler

IR - Scheduled to Return (Week 8)
    RB Le'Veon Bell

IR
    WR Plaxico Burress

PUP
    LB Sean Spence

PS
    QB John Parker Wilson
    WR Derek Moye
    DL Brian Arnfeldt
    DL Nick Williams
    DL Hebron Fangupu
    LB Alan Baxter

Assistant Coach
    ^ comments
    - I don't think Reggie Dunn has done enough to make the team, and I don't think the Steelers have the luxury at this point
    - I don't think Fangupo can go on the practice squad (im not sure), I also think he's ahead of Taamu at this point (Taamu CAN go on the practice squad)
    - I dont think they keep 11 DBs. I like Golden but he shot himself in the foot on that Helu TD... awful read. 11 DBs... i dont think that's ever happened...
    - Guy Whimper has been terrible... but only keeping 7 Oline?
    - If Heath and Spaeth aren't ready to start the season... they really have to keep someone other than just DJohnson and Paulson...

How can you leave my man JD Woods off the PS!!! :;

Actually i think id go JD woods over Dunn

Its a tough list to throw together

I also think Fangupu can be a PS player, i dont think hes played in enough games as a pro...i could be wrong on how it works now though. Taamu is definitely ahead of him, mcclendon has not shown much while woods and taamu have played well

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I also think Fangupu can be a PS player, i dont think hes played in enough games as a pro...i could be wrong on how it works now though. Taamu is definitely ahead of him, mcclendon has not shown much while woods and taamu have played well
    you're right. for some reason i thought fangupo was in the league for 2 years already

my understanding is that 2 years on the practice squad is max, and you are ineligible if you've been on the active 46 for more than 8 games. there is an exception for going on a 3rd year if you've had no active games and the roster is maxed at 53, but then the first move that's made to add to the active has to be the 3rd year player

Assistant Coach
    the TE situation is a problem... and David Paulson is garbage. He's the worst blocking TE i've seen in Pittsburgh... ever? ok, maybe that's exagerrating, but I legitimately can't think of someone off the top of my head.

If you are a TE, and you are completely incapable of blocking in any fashion... you need to be an athletic freak who can dominate in the passing game... Paulson is no such thing.

Actually i think id go JD woods over Dunn

Its a tough list to throw together
    I was looking for Woods.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    the TE situation is a problem... and David Paulson is garbage. He's the worst blocking TE i've seen in Pittsburgh... ever? ok, maybe that's exagerrating, but I legitimately can't think of someone off the top of my head.

If you are a TE, and you are completely incapable of blocking in any fashion... you need to be an athletic freak who can dominate in the passing game... Paulson is no such thing.
    I actually think paulson will make a jump this year, he is a putrid blocker but that can be improved. i think he'll actually be a decent receiving option this year in heaths absence. I do not think he is a slouch as a receiver, definitely better than spaeth. And David Johnson was never a bad blocker, wish they could have more but if heath misses 4 games it might not be worth addressing

Jason Smith just got cut from the saints....id say bring him in as a jumbo set TE, but he is just flat out unbearably horrible for how athletic he is. Bruce Campbell got cut too lol

Assistant Coach
    I actually think paulson will make a jump this year, he is a putrid blocker but that can be improved. i think he'll actually be a decent receiving option this year in heaths absence. I do not think he is a slouch as a receiver, definitely better than spaeth. And David Johnson was never a bad blocker, wish they could have more but if heath misses 4 games it might not be worth addressing

Jason Smith just got cut from the saints....id say bring him in as a jumbo set TE, but he is just flat out unbearably horrible for how athletic he is. Bruce Campbell got cut too lol
    I thought Paulson was the worst 1st team player on the field against Washington (and that's saying a lot given how poorly Pouncey and Adams played)

Jason Smith is garbage... i'd take your idea, and apply it to Bruce Campbell though... that guy shoud've been a TE convert from day 1.

Thread Information