Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CBS Article About Rookies

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    From Jerry Micco's chat:

Ken:
    Is Cam Heyward near bust status if Al Woods is a better option? And seems like Ziggy Hood has been labeled as such here unfairly. He started on an AFC Championship team and he's better than average. Is he on the the Steelers re-sign list?

Jerry Micco:
    My understanding is Heyward is having a very good camp, and Hood is having a good camp, too. Doesn't mean a guy like Al Woods won't see playing time. If he continues to get better, he'll pressure the starters and get his chances. Good to have some depth at that position.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2c2nov7Mu
    Anyone who watches heyward will see hes not a bust, hes a very good player but he has had trouble cracking the lineup. Hood is about as close to bust as you can get while still holding on to a label as an average player. It would be awesome if they could get a healthy rotation of the 4 of them and keep them fresh

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Anyone who watches heyward will see hes not a bust, hes a very good player but he has had trouble cracking the lineup. Hood is about as close to bust as you can get while still holding on to a label as an average player. It would be awesome if they could get a healthy rotation of the 4 of them and keep them fresh
    something i've never liked about lebeau/mitchell... they never use a rotation system... they only spell their DL when they are gased. I love what they do in NY... I really want a rotation system that keeps guys incredibly fresh and presents a bigger challenge to olines as they have to continuously adjust to different strengths

you can get total snap count information... but what ive really been trying to get it is snap count by formation. My guess is that our starters play 90% of the base formation snap counts... I'd prefer that to be in the 60-70% range...

I hate how mitchell works the rotation, hes so anti players that are a little raw that it stunts their develoment. I know we cant really bitch too much cause they develop guys like Smith and Keisel who become masters of the position, but then when Keisels calves explode and Smith triceps split and they are screwed.

I love what they do in NY....JPP, Tuck, Jenkins, Hankins, Patterson, Austin, Kiwi is a sick rotation. The Eagles used to have a hell of a rotation under jim johnson too...i think it even becomes more important to do that when the dline is stacking up blockers on a regular basis.

Mitchell Hated Al Woods for years, now maybe hes shaking that raw label. Woods is definitely a rare athlete, he wasnt very committed to football but hopefully that has changed now that he has an opportunity to be someone. He could be a poor mans ngata

Banned
    I hate how mitchell works the rotation, hes so anti players that are a little raw that it stunts their develoment. I know we cant really bitch too much cause they develop guys like Smith and Keisel who become masters of the position, but then when Keisels calves explode and Smith triceps split and they are screwed.

I love what they do in NY....JPP, Tuck, Jenkins, Hankins, Patterson, Austin, Kiwi is a sick rotation. The Eagles used to have a hell of a rotation under jim johnson too...i think it even becomes more important to do that when the dline is stacking up blockers on a regular basis.

Mitchell Hated Al Woods for years, now maybe hes shaking that raw label. Woods is definitely a rare athlete, he wasnt very committed to football but hopefully that has changed now that he has an opportunity to be someone. He could be a poor mans ngata
    dirt broke version... maybe
    lol

I'm a fan of Woods too... but i hate comparing guys on the fringe of finally making it, to the best players in the league... even if there is a "poor man" caveat

"JD Woods is a poor man's Dwayne Bowe".... lol

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Heyward is a good player. Hood is an enigma to me...... I just don't understand how someone so physically gifted is so inconsistent and other times, ineffective on the field.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    dirt broke version... maybe
    lol

I'm a fan of Woods too... but i hate comparing guys on the fringe of finally making it, to the best players in the league... even if there is a "poor man" caveat

"JD Woods is a poor man's Dwayne Bowe".... lol
    eh, id never expect him to be that good...more the mold of a player. Ngata is a NT that is playing DE because hes freakishly athletic for his massive size. The idea of woods playing DE would be a similar role.

He has ridden the coat tails of some awesome defenses dating back to being the primary backup at LSU behind guys like Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey, and RJF and never really got on the field very much. His measurables were off the charts though, and he used that to cash in on a pay day. Ive been a huge fan for a while though, i hope he does make it because i think he could be a special player, im glad the saints dumped him

Banned
    eh, id never expect him to be that good...more the mold of a player. Ngata is a NT that is playing DE because hes freakishly athletic for his massive size. The idea of woods playing DE would be a similar role.
    agreed

He has ridden the coat tails of some awesome defenses dating back to being the primary backup at LSU behind guys like Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey, and RJF and never really got on the field very much. His measurables were off the charts though, and he used that to cash in on a pay day. Ive been a huge fan for a while though, i hope he does make it because i think he could be a special player, im glad the saints dumped him
    ... and the bucs.... and seattle....

I think it's realistic to hope he makes it as a situational/rotational player... he's 26, and has never shown the work ethic, desire, etc to be an impact starter... his pro career has mirrored his collegiate career. Expecting a drastic turnaround in that area is reaching.

I'll always be a homer for his athletic ability though... he is, as you said, off the charts in the measurables

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I'm so ready to move on without Troy.......stick a fork in him.........

Banned
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I'm so ready to move on without Troy.......stick a fork in him.........
    I think he is still the most talented defensive player we have. Unfortunately, you just cannot count on him to be there.

We do need him this year though. We lost a lot of safety depth in FA and Shamarko will not be ready to take over for at least a year. One more season from Troy and, as much as I hate to say it, his time will have passed.

I expect troy to be fine this year, he ended last year pretty strong

Thread Information