Thread: Why Not Go For The Throat

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String

Why Not Go For The Throat

One of the main criticisms is I have of the Steelers is their play calling after a turnover. They seem to respond with a "just another series" mentality. After they get a turnover, even after a spectacular play to force a turnover, they don't ride the momentum. They default to run, run, pass. I can't remember what they did after the turnover last night, I was in and out with neighbors in the court during the game. I realize last night was a preseason game, but I feel that would have been the perfect opportunity to take a risk on an unorthodox play, or something a little more risky. Maybe in the past they have forced turnovers so few times they feel the need to protect the ball.

Part of the Ravens success in the past has been their ability to force turnovers, even with their crappy defense last year (special teams play for the most part I am sure, which continues to be a problem for the Steelers). They immediately ride the momentum and usually run a play meant to gain big yardage. I am sure this has put the game out of reach for the opposition in many games.

I am not a stat guy, so maybe this is just my perception. Does anyone have any knowledge of play calling after turnovers? I would be interested.

Just like you said, it's just the preseason. Even further, it was the first preseason game. The offense will barely look like what we saw last night. That was really, really basic stuff.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I am not sure they are going "to go for the throat" during preseason. Most teams play very vanilla.

2nd String
    I agree. But I think I was speaking more to regular season than preseason. I will have to start keeping track of play calling after a turnover. Of course for myself that will be hard, as I have difficulty keeping track of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    I am not sure they are going "to go for the throat" during preseason. Most teams play very vanilla.

Starter
    Eli put some choco syrup on their vanilla......

2nd String
    I bet if the Giants had a turnover like would have went for a big play. What did they do on their turnover? I cannot ever remember.

And what does that quote mean? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by teeceemadison View Post
    Eli put some choco syrup on their vanilla......

Draft Pick
    I'm not sure if the OP is referring to anything in the preseason game, but throughout last year's regular season he's exactly right. The Steelers would never go for the jugular after a turnover. Every possession had to be this long, 10 minute drive. I honestly believe that last year the Steelers felt time of possession was more important than scoring.

2nd String
    I was mostly referring to the regular season. But I was curious as to what they did vs. the Giants after the turnover. And I agree with you about time of possession. What good is it if they burn the clock and can only muster three when the opposition is getting touchdowns? Especially with the crappy running game they had last year. I recently read a stat where the Steelers were ahead 11 of 16 games in the last quarter last season. What happened? It is maddening at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    I'm not sure if the OP is referring to anything in the preseason game, but throughout last year's regular season he's exactly right. The Steelers would never go for the jugular after a turnover. Every possession had to be this long, 10 minute drive. I honestly believe that last year the Steelers felt time of possession was more important than scoring.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
    I was mostly referring to the regular season. But I was curious as to what they did vs. the Giants after the turnover. And I agree with you about time of possession. What good is it if they burn the clock and can only muster three when the opposition is getting touchdowns? Especially with the crappy running game they had last year. I recently read a stat where the Steelers were ahead 11 of 16 games in the last quarter last season. What happened? It is maddening at times.
    The Steelers can't seem to or refuse to adjust to the modern NFL. In this era where teams are looking to score fast and score often, the Steelers are trying to play close to the vest and grind out a low scoring win. Instead of asking Ben to bail the team out in the last minute, they should let him try and win the game early on.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Just like you said, it's just the preseason. Even further, it was the first preseason game. The offense will barely look like what we saw last night. That was really, really basic stuff.
    This.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information