Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spaeth injured

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Reps are earned, not given.

The criticism of LeBeau we hear about youth not playing is mostly misguided. Jones is going to get significant playing time. So will Shamarko. His philosophy has not changed. It is just these players showing that they are ready to be given some responsibility because of their hard work and skill. This shows up in practice.

If Worilds and Heyward had shown in practice that they were ready to get more reps earlier, they would have received them. Instead, they gave those reps to the better players at the time.
    If your right, then we draft like crap...

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    think of all the time keisel played on ST sitting behind Kemo and reevaluate this statement

Timmons didnt start right away either becasue frankly he wasnt that good

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Not really.

It takes a VERY dedicated and intelligent player to pick up our D as a rookie. Others are just behind great players. Before last season, LeBeau would have been shot by the fanbase if he had given Worilds "reps" over a healthy Harrison or Woodley. It is only in hindsight (and the departure of James) that we say, "Worilds should have been given more reps."

If you look at the recent articles about Thomas, he is succeeding more for his mental attributes than his physical (which are also phenomenal.) Troy and Clark are showering him with compliments about his work ethic, humble demeanor, and are even joking that he is a pain in the a$$ because he asks so many questions. There are a lot of very good college football players who are allowed to play on instinct or within a simpler system, who have never had to work this hard to learn a huge playbook. James (not too bright but a much closer representation of a typical young athlete than Shamarko) begged in tears to be taken off the field in a preseason game early in his career because he was totally lost and had no idea what to do.

Shamarko is one of those rare finds with the mental acuity along with physical prowess. Jones has an added advantage of being the first high round 3-4 OLB we have ever drafted (I think. If not, the first in a long time). We usually go for the smallish DE and convert them, which takes time.

I believe that LeBeau plays the best player available on a given Sunday. It is just seldom a rookie for the reasons above. As fans, we get impatient because we see each rookie as the potential next superstar. The coaches see the real deal in practice.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    think of all the time keisel played on ST sitting behind Kemo and reevaluate this statement

Exactly. And imagine the howl the first time Vince Williams got run over (or missed an assignment) for a TD because we decided to "give him reps" over Timmons today.

LeBeau would be thrown into the 5th circle of hell on this message board. Each Sunday, you play your best players for the given situation.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

No one thought they would start pouncey as a rookie, then he earned the RG spot, then he ran away with the C spot...sometimes it just happens, but i think its a little harder on a top 5 defense than it is on a horrible bottom 5 offensive line to make a name for yourself

Troy played a little as a rookie, and he ended up being one of the all time greats at the position

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post

I know we draft young players because of this.. basically almost all of them are 20-21 when we draft them.... dwyer is 24 hes been here 4 years. Adrian Robinson is 23 been here 2 years, heyward is 24 been here 3 years.. Currtis brown, Paulson are younger.. I get it...

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    Is David Johnson still hurt??

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL View Post
    Is David Johnson still hurt??
    yes.
    My Steeler Mock Draft
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB Mich St
    2. Allen Robinson, WR Penn St
    3. Carl Bradford, OLB Arizona St
    4. Martavis Bryant, WR Clemson
    5a. Brent Urban, DE Virginia
    5b. Kevin Pierre-Louis, ILB Boston College
    6. Dontae Johnson, CB North Carolina St
    7. Zach Kerr, NT Delaware

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Not really.

It takes a VERY dedicated and intelligent player to pick up our D as a rookie. Others are just behind great players. Before last season, LeBeau would have been shot by the fanbase if he had given Worilds "reps" over a healthy Harrison or Woodley. It is only in hindsight (and the departure of James) that we say, "Worilds should have been given more reps."

If you look at the recent articles about Thomas, he is succeeding more for his mental attributes than his physical (which are also phenomenal.) Troy and Clark are showering him with compliments about his work ethic, humble demeanor, and are even joking that he is a pain in the a$$ because he asks so many questions. There are a lot of very good college football players who are allowed to play on instinct or within a simpler system, who have never had to work this hard to learn a huge playbook. James (not too bright but a much closer representation of a typical young athlete than Shamarko) begged in tears to be taken off the field in a preseason game early in his career because he was totally lost and had no idea what to do.

Shamarko is one of those rare finds with the mental acuity along with physical prowess. Jones has an added advantage of being the first high round 3-4 OLB we have ever drafted (I think. If not, the first in a long time). We usually go for the smallish DE and convert them, which takes time.

I believe that LeBeau plays the best player available on a given Sunday. It is just seldom a rookie for the reasons above. As fans, we get impatient because we see each rookie as the potential next superstar. The coaches see the real deal in practice.
    Amen

The Steelers have signed tight end Nathan Overbay.

To make room on the roster the team released offensive tackle Mike Farrell

Thread Information