View Poll Results: What do you offer Polomalu in terms of an extension?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • The highest paid safety in history?

5 27.78%
  • Based upon what he's capable of?

8 44.44%
  • The exact same deal that Ed Reed has?

2 11.11%
  • one of the above discounted for the multiple concussions that he has on his resume?

1 5.56%
  • Or do you wait until next year because of d.), figuring that you'll have to do a.) anyway?

2 11.11%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you offer Polomalu in terms of an extension?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Well that's true, they are cheap as well...I guess mainly I was referring to somebody with alot of money to spend who gets the notion they want to try and steal Troy out from under us.
    like the owner of the reskins who seems to have more money than brains?
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Exactly, Daniel Snyder would be just the type of individual who would throw out more money than anybody could ever match. I don't know that Troy would go for it though, because he doesnt really seem like that type of guy, but you never know with players these days.

Gold Standard

Negative on the blank check

Quote Originally Posted by BLITZBURGH NATION View Post
    Hand him a blank check and let him fill in the blank's
    Are you paying him for what he has already done or on the hopes that he can keep on doing it for 5 or 6 more years? Safeties are replaceable no matter how good they are! I love Troy playing in black and gold as much as anybody but I would not overpay for him. Offer him a 4 yr deal that puts him in the top 5 safety salaries over the next 4 years. No 6 year deals! 6 years is too long in football because when players skills start to diminish they go quickly. Don't want to be stuck paying huge dollars for a player who is beyond his best football years! Lets also keep in mind that although Troy is a terror up at the line of scrimmage against the run, he has not looked too good defending against the pass. I like to think all those pass plays that he was getting burned on were because he wasn't 100% but who knows? Ben is the guy who I would lock up long term! Having seen first hand what its like to not have a QB for almost 3 decades.......don't want to wait another 30 years for the next one! Last year is thrown out for Ben in my mind. He has the size, the arm strength, the intelligence, and the mobility to be great! Carnell Lake was a great safety as well........how many rings does he have? Rod Woodson was a better player than Troy is and how many championships did we win when he was a Steeler? Thats my point! We have had a lot of great players come through Pittsburgh that left without winning a championship because we never had the QB to get us past the other good teams in the playoffs! Now that we have one we shouldn't let him get anywhere near free agency!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

I'm sure this has been talked about but I don't see the Rooney's braking the bank for one player even with a new coach. Troy isn't a greedy guy and he's happy to be playing in the league... I guess I should say blessed instead of happy. I'm sure he wants more and what he's offered will be fair and he'll more than likely accpet it and continue playing for the Steelers!

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Are you paying him for what he has already done or on the hopes that he can keep on doing it for 5 or 6 more years? Safeties are replaceable no matter how good they are! I love Troy playing in black and gold as much as anybody but I would not overpay for him. Offer him a 4 yr deal that puts him in the top 5 safety salaries over the next 4 years. No 6 year deals! 6 years is too long in football because when players skills start to diminish they go quickly. Don't want to be stuck paying huge dollars for a player who is beyond his best football years! Lets also keep in mind that although Troy is a terror up at the line of scrimmage against the run, he has not looked too good defending against the pass. I like to think all those pass plays that he was getting burned on were because he wasn't 100% but who knows? Ben is the guy who I would lock up long term! Having seen first hand what its like to not have a QB for almost 3 decades.......don't want to wait another 30 years for the next one! Last year is thrown out for Ben in my mind. He has the size, the arm strength, the intelligence, and the mobility to be great! Carnell Lake was a great safety as well........how many rings does he have? Rod Woodson was a better player than Troy is and how many championships did we win when he was a Steeler? Thats my point! We have had a lot of great players come through Pittsburgh that left without winning a championship because we never had the QB to get us past the other good teams in the playoffs! Now that we have one we shouldn't let him get anywhere near free agency!

Good point on Ben, we definitely need to lock him up and more so then Troy. Your right about players abilities diminishing, one day they got it and the next day where did it go? The position he plays and the way he plays Troy might give us another 3 years () so yeah sign him and like you said don't over pay and don't give him 5-6 years. The franchise tag for a safety is going to be roughly $4.49 million this year, its been a long time since we franchised anyone and now with a new coach we'll see how Tomlin and the Rooneys interact as far as negotiations and how hard we hit FA. Don't know how much input Tomlin will have with all that, if he'll get the Rooneys to run with him or if he goes the way the Rooneys want to do it. More questions to be answered.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

see i think safety is a position that gets better with age, and i think troy is one of the best safeties and would hate to see him go anywhere else. Troy is a MAJOR part of our defense and does much more than play safety he lines up in all positions and makes QBs fear him and he stuffs the run, he hits like a truck, has blazing speed and he can cover despite what you say, sometimes yes he does stray, but thats his job. We drafted him to take away guys like gates and heap, and he does a good job....not to mention he is an all around game changer, our defense needs him like the offense needs ben imo

That was just a figure of speech on the blank check
    I do think we'll get it done on him and big ben, That's our core players and the rooney's will not let them move on,espcially when there both so young
    and have so much upside

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Troy has only been in the league a few years now, we sign him to a long term 6 yr deal and if he plays it the whole way out he's hardly going to be over the hill or be in a state diminishing skills by the end of the contract. Plus you give him a big bonus and stretch it out over the life of the deal. Most vets will re up their contract or change up the terms to help a team anyways. We are just touching the tip of the ice berg with Troy and he's got many many good years ahead of him.

I say sign him to a 5 or 6 yr deal, give him a big bonus and work the contract out so we don't get burnt in the end if he suddenly gets injury prone. Troy is a beast at covering the pass and defending the run. He was hurt last year and the whole secondary stunk so you have to take that into effect here too. When you sign a player to a new deal you are paying him based on his potential as well as what he's done already.

Troy is worth every penny the Rooney's are willing to throw at him. You can't just take a couple safeties and throw them together and expect them to play. It takes time for the 2 positions to work and gel. We have something special with Anthony Smith and Troy so I hope we keep it together.

My Mood
    Chatty
    We need to get the moldy money out and pay the man!! But i think it will be a question of if he likes coach Tomlin or not. He's use to Cowher and his family atmosphere, if he and Tomlin hit it off, he'll stay a Steeler, i read an article that he wants to retire a Steeler but now that Cowher is gone that may change some I think. If he doesn't respect Tomlin, we are gonna lose him.
    Last edited by TampaSteelGirl; 02-12-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Quote Originally Posted by TampaSteelGirl View Post
    We need to get the moldy money out and pay the man!! But i think it will be a question of if he likes coach Tomlin or not. He's use to Cowher and his family atmosphere, if he and Tomlin hit it off, he'll stay a Steeler, i read an article that he wants to retire a Steeler but now that Cowher is gone that may change some I think. If he doesn't respect Tomlin, we are gonna lose him.
    from what ive seen, just about everyone likes to tomlin and what he brings to the table

Thread Information