Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CBSSPORTS: Steeler Observations at camp

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Yeah..

Ben needs a hard plastic bubble of something around him. I don't want him touched! LOL
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

i liked robinson too

Sunday, August 04, 2013

Sunday's my funday notes

The Steelers got some of their injured players back today, as Steve McLendon, Jason Worilds, Jarvis Jones and Le'Veon Bell returned on a limited basis. They participated in position drills but not in the team portion of practice.

That left the team pretty thin at a number of positions, as several others joined the walking wounded today, including a new one at CB, Curtis Brown. That puts the Steelers down four corners with Cortez Allen, Terry Hawthorne and DeMarcus Van Dyke also out of action.

With all of those guys out, the top three corners were Ike Taylor, William Gay and Josh Victorian.

Victorian might make this team as the last man standing, which is a good thing for him since he apparently went out during the offseason and got a whole bunch of clothes that say "Victorian-35" on them.

Don't do you a lot of good if you're no longer on an NFL team.

Also sitting out were safeties Troy Polamalu and Ross Ventrone, running back Curtis "Moody" McNeil, linebacker Adrian Robinson, tight end Matt Spaeth and defensive end Nick Williams.

Polamalu was given the day off by Mike Tomlin due to a "contusion of the birth certificate."

Damon Cromartie-Smith got the call as Polamalu's replacement.

@ With Spaeth hurting, the Steelers are down to one tight end, David Paulson, with any kind of NFL experience. And Paulson has only played in 16 NFL games.

Practice squader Jamie McCoy was active last season in the finale against Cleveland, but only played on special teams.

Because of that, the Steelers might be forced to use fullback Will Johnson some at tight end.

There just aren't many good all-around tight ends in college football any longer.

@ For the third consecutive day, the Steelers had Mike Adams at LT and Marcus Gilbert at RT.

Something tells me that is going to stick.

@ A lot is being made of Ben Roethlisberger limping around a little on his knee when he's not practicing, mostly by guys who haven't been here a lot.

They show up one day, see Roethlisberger with his knee and arm wrapped and freak out.

That's pretty much the norm for a 31-year-old QB who has been through the wars. Ever see the pictures of Joe Namath after a game?

And Roethlisberger is certainly more agile than Namath was at the same point in their careers.

Roethlisberger looked plenty nimble moving around on the field today. The ice is more precautionary than anything.

Posted by Dale Lolley at 9:01 PM 2 comments: Links to this post
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Al Woods getting first team reps at NT....

:-)

Draft Pick
    I was at Latrobe today and here is what I observed.
    Al Woods was indeed getting in first team reps at DE.
    Redman started at RB when they were in the power look with 2 TE's and a FB. Bell was the RB when they went 3 wide.
    Wheaton was spectacular, catching a 60 yd bomb from Ben, and the 2 hooked up on two more TD's in the passing drills.
    Justin Brown was solid,but I'd give the edge to JD Woods who made a couple of outstanding catches near the sidelines where he kept both feet in.
    Shamarko Thomas was always around the football and broke up a couple of passes. He came on a blitz once and had a clear shot at the QB but the whistle was blown saving Landry Jones from being blindsided.
    The punting battle was interesting with Butler having the better leg,but Moorman was great at killing the ball inside the 10 yd line on three straight punts.The last one he killed on the one yd. line.
    Special teams punt blocking received a great deal of attention today after the disaster in the Giants game.
    Jason Worilids was still the starter ahead of Jarvis Jones today.

CBSSPORTS: Steeler Observations at camp

Good stuff thanks Rocky!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I wouldn't want to be the backup OL and special teams this week in camp....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I wouldn't want to be the backup OL and special teams this week in camp....lol
    or any camp on any team....talk about two ****** jobs to have right now as a player

CBSSPORTS: Steeler Observations at camp

Thursday, August 15, 2013

News, notes from Thursday
    Obviously, the big news from practice Thursday were the injuries to running backs Isaac Redman and Le'Veon Bell.

Redman ran into the back of a lineman and was hit by linebacker Larry Foote. He immediately fumbled the ball and went down in a heap.

It was just a stinger, though he did not return to practice.

Later, in another team portion of practice, Bell ran around left end and into a pack about 15 yards downfield. He began to pull up and was smacked hard by somebody in the group - nobody was sure who and nobody was owning up to the hit in what was supposed to be a non-contact drill.

Bell went down in a heap. Trainers looked at his left knee and put an ice pack on the back of it. But he stayed with the team on the field, a good sign.

I'm hearing it's a slight MCL sprain, but we'll learn more Friday.

First-round pick Jarvis Jones also appeared to tweak his groin about midway through practice. Team trainers stretched him out a little while and he returned for the final session.

@ A report surfaced today that the Steelers could be looking to deal wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery. That's ridiculous. Had Plaxico Burress not gotten injured, maybe they would have considered offers for Cotchery.

But with Burress out, there's no way they're going to be comfortable going with Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and a bunch of rookies, even if they have been impressed with Markus Wheaton.

@ The Steelers are comfortable with what they've seen from their quarterbacks and will keep three on the active roster.

Whether that's Landry Jones or John Parker Wilson to go along with Ben Roethlisberger and Bruce Gradkowski remains to be seen.

Jones has shown better arm strength recently. As long as he can keep our of Baron Batch's way in the backfield against Washington next week, he's probably the guy.

@ Shamarko Thomas laid a big hit on Alvester Alexander in the hole Thursday, knocking the 213-pound back backwards about five yards.

@ I have one big concern with Jones, the rookie linebacker. He seemingly jumps offsides at least once every practice.

He also had some issues getting off blocks in the tight ends on backers drills Thursday.

Both are correctable issues, though.
    Dale Lolley at 7:52 PM

No comments:
    Post a Comment
    Links to this post
    Create a Link
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Another opportunity for Dwyer.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information