Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arians warms to task in a hurry

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Looks like Dan Krieders role is going to be dimished. I would hope Ariens plans on incorporating Heath Miller into this 3 and 4 WR sets because the numbers don't add up if he doesn't on first and second down.

4 WR's
    5 OL
    1 QB
    1 RB

This could be good or it could be bad. I like the idea of a more simple playbook in terminology and such, that will be good for everyone but he does have alot of proving to do so we'll see how his line of thinking works. Running out of a 3-4 WR sets is not something we do often so I look for our offense to have some struggles and adjustments, including Willie who's been using to running behind Dan as a lead blocker the majority of the time.
    Good points.
    i can't see it diminish if they go 4 man sets because Parker won't be able to stay in and block. Plus like mentioned before, I wouldn't mind seeing more 2 man sets with the Backfield, but yes I know we don't have an
    Alstott.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

House of Steel
    I am with you, Capt. I know you and I know about Arians from watching the sports on the news here in Cleveland, this guy was a joke. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt to prove himself here.

I really like what Arians had to say... I actually got a little exited especially hearing about 4 wideouts on 1st down Sometimes change is for the best and this definitely sounds like a good change. Scrapping a playbook that had been around for forever and built on top of... that needed to go. In the software development world you always talk about building your first program which in the end looks like a nice sturdy house. But then you start adding more features to it which is equivalent to adding another room onto your house... eventually you end with this gigantic house but nothing coordinates because all the add ons have been added at different times... that's when you know it's time to rip it all down and rebuild it! I have a lot of respect for Arians is doing because I can relate to it!

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    A fresh start all the way around including the playbook? Sounds good but like someone else said can he walk the walk?

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Arians said a few points that I thought of as positive:

1. He does like to run the ball-this will be good since the Steelers are known as a good running team

2. He worked well at Temple with a small runningback-Willie is not the biggest but is fast, if he is similar to what he has had in the past than that experience will bode well for the Steelers

3. He is willing to line up mulitple receivers on 1st down-This not only shows he wants to open up the passing game, but also that he has faith in Ben to be able to pass the ball and do so on 1st/2nd down instead of making his arm a last resort on 3rd and long. Also, allowing a more balanced offense, play-action passing, and continuing the running game strength will get opponents guessing and again fearing the Steelers. He put up 33 against the Steelers in the playoffs in 2003 even with the running game non-existant...and this was the Browns.....that is impressive to me. I'm positive still!

BuFu

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Man I like hearing this from Ariens. As for the people with doubts. I'm sure Heath Miller will be used more. I doubt we will see the Steelers become the Colts or the 99 Rams. But coming out in a spread formation with four WR's on first down is a good idea. Like Ariens said its all about adjustments. As for the simple play-book thats the best news. Noway there should be any language or plays from 1992. Even though 92 insn't really that long ago. But the Steelers and the NFL has changed alot since 1992.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If Ariens and Tomlin actually use Heath Miller to his potential it will be the first time that has happened since Eric Green, and even with Green we didn't use him near as much as we could have. Yes I know his problems that he had but Im basically saying we've got to use Miller, the guy is to good to just use as a blocker.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    If Ariens and Tomlin actually use Heath Miller to his potential it will be the first time that has happened since Eric Green, and even with Green we didn't use him near as much as we could have. Yes I know his problems that he had but Im basically saying we've got to use Miller, the guy is to good to just use as a blocker.
    Top, one thing to point out. Both Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes will get their catches. So I do agree Heath Miller should be used more but no matter what its going to be tough for Heath Miller to catch 50 balls at the most in a season.

But I think coming out with 4 WR's is a good idea at times. With the defense spread out and handing off to Fast Willie I get excited just thinking about it. But I would expect Ariens to use Miller more. You can line up Miller in a 4 WR set with no problem. Especially in the red zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    Alstott.
    cough brian leonard cough

we cant be so hard on ariens just yet....no one really has success in cleveland so its hard to judge that

Thread Information