Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bettis places us Third

Bookmark and Share

Bettis places us Third

Jerome Bettis: Steelers a 'question mark' in AFC North

Jerome Bettis is a Pittsburgh Steelers icon. That doesn't prevent him from giving an objective opinion on the current state of affairs in the AFC North.

Friend of ATL, Dave Dameshek, welcomed Bettis as a guest this week on the "Dave Dameshek Football Program" from the American Century Championship in Lake Tahoe, Calif. Bettis believes the Cincinnati Bengals are the division's most improved team. Conversely, Bettis believes the Steelers did the least to improve.

"The question mark in the division is the Steelers," Bettis said. "How will they perform? Will they be able to run the football? Will the defense be able to stay intact? They've got some questions that need to be answered, so right now if I had to step out of my body and give a prediction I'd say the edge goes to Cincinnati, then Baltimore, then Pittsburgh, then Cleveland."

Bettis then couched his opinion with some concerns about the Bengals' mental makeup.

"They still have to learn how to win," Bettis told Dameshek. "They don't know how to win yet. And I think that's the one Achilles' heel if you had to think of anything, that's going to be the Achilles' heel, they really don't know how to win a big game."

The Bengals quietly have gone out in back-to-back postseasons, but the solution is far more definable than Bettis' they-just-don't-know-how-to-win-yet trope. They'll go deeper in the playoffs if Andy Dalton plays better when it counts.

Everything he said is true but, I dont lose sleep at night over analysts opinions

My Mood
    Addicted
    I mean...he's probably right.

Bettis places us Third

That's fair...

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Well, I think he's full of crap.

His remarks about us doing the least to improve shows he's not in touch. Other then Jones, just because their not splash names doesn't mean that we improved the least. He is a true analyst now because he's forgotten the little intricacies of the game.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

hes put us at 3rd since he retired

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    hes put us at 3rd since he retired
    Then when we come out 6-2, he jumps on the bandwagon.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Banned
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Well, I think he's full of crap.

His remarks about us doing the least to improve shows he's not in touch. Other then Jones, just because their not splash names doesn't mean that we improved the least. He is a true analyst now because he's forgotten the little intricacies of the game.
    Bettis is correct.

He did not say that we WILL be third. He placed us there because of all of the questions and we have not replaced proven production with proven production.

We replaced James with Worilds/a rookie.
    We replaced our top productive WR with "to be determined."
    We replaced our nose tackle with an unknown commodity.
    Our TE (and arguably best offensive weapon that is not a QB) may be out a significant amount of time.
    Our RB situation is completely up in the air, headlined by two unproductive backs and a rookie.
    We lost a corner and replaced him with an unproven (although promising) guy.
    Our tackles also show promise but are completely unproven.
    Our guards are a second year guy who played little last year and an undrafted FA.
    The remaining OLB and SS have leg muscles made from uncooked spaghetti.

That's just a start. If these questions sort themselves out in our favor, we could be VERY good. I kind of see this season as getting two draft classes, as it seems that last year's was all lost to injury and most will be back.

However, we would be incredibly naive to deny that these questions could play out in a negative way. A couple of key injuries and we will be fighting the Browns to stay in third.

Banned
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    On that note: :-)

None of those seem like bad problems to me, aside from james harrisons replacement. WR was an addition by subtraction type deal, wallace didnt want to be here.

Casey needed to go, real bad. Mcclendon/Woods/Hood/Taamu/Fangupu...SOMEONE will emege

RB was upgraded with Bell and Stephens-Howling

Keenan Lewis was so monstrously overrated

Have a lot of young olinemen, but they are going into the 2nd year for decastro and adams, a year where the game slows down a bit for those guys

I think woodley is going to be in the best shape weve ever seen him, troy is obviously still a good player but i doubt anyone is banking on him playing 16 games

Thread Information