Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your 5 favorite Steeler plays of all time?

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick
    The Immacculate Reception was blacked out in the Pittsburgh broadcasting area, so I had to listen to it on the radio. I think Jack Fleming was the announcer then and it took several minutes of shouting and confusion about what had happened, until it sunk in that the Steelers had somehow won the game.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    i wasnt alive for the IR

mine would be:
    - Bettis over Urlacher
    - Santonio in the SB
    - Randle El to Ward in the SB
    - Chris Fu scoring in the playoffs in OT vs Clev
    - then prolly one of Clarks hits
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Addicted
    Also a great play, a few seasons ago Troy timing the snap count perfectly near the goal line, hurdling the line and sacking Kerry Collins. Collins got up, like WTF, and promptly went back into retirement. Not heard of since.

Draft Pick
    1. troys Pick 6 AFC title 2008.......

the reason would be its Troy my favorite player...and most importantly, should we lose another AFC title game at Home I would have shot myself....winning on the road in 05 in Denver was fine...but those 4 losses at home with Cowher I have never recovered from.....losing to the Pack in 2010 and cowboys in 95 in SB wernt as bad as I expected to lose....but not them Home AFC champ games

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Also a great play, a few seasons ago Troy timing the snap count perfectly near the goal line, hurdling the line and sacking Kerry Collins. Collins got up, like WTF, and promptly went back into retirement. Not heard of since.
    that was a great play, but Kerry collins did through a TD pass on very next play so it wasnt a game changer...but steelers did win

Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    All great plays, but I believe that you suffer from the same disease that most of us do, era bias.

Not one from the 70's? You may have been too young to remember (I have no idea how old you are) but surely something from that era has to make the list. :-)
    I was certainly alive during the 70s! However, I think I suffer from "more recent" bias. It's just that some of these plays are so much more vivid in my mind - in terms of real time impact. I don't think anyone could argue about the IR being number one in all-time Steeler plays, but, if you weren't alive when it happened, it wouldn't be your own personal favorite. Anyway, all my blah blah just relates to my having a hard time picking and ranking - we were at the game in Pittsburgh when Deshea intercepted Romo and ran it back for 6. In the context of that game and season and my own personal enjoyment, I have to rank it way up there. Also, Mike Wallace's toe tap against Green Bay and his catch and TD run in Phoenix are personal favorites, along with Antonio's helmet catch against Baltimore and catch to seal the deal on 3rd down against the Jets. My trifecta of favorites has to be 3) Troy intercepting Flacco in the AFC Championship, (2) Harrison's interception and TD run,
    (1) Santonio's toe tap TD.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Root4Stlrs View Post
    I was certainly alive during the 70s! However, I think I suffer from "more recent" bias. It's just that some of these plays are so much more vivid in my mind - in terms of real time impact. I don't think anyone could argue about the IR being number one in all-time Steeler plays, but, if you weren't alive when it happened, it wouldn't be your own personal favorite. Anyway, all my blah blah just relates to my having a hard time picking and ranking - we were at the game in Pittsburgh when Deshea intercepted Romo and ran it back for 6. In the context of that game and season and my own personal enjoyment, I have to rank it way up there. Also, Mike Wallace's toe tap against Green Bay and his catch and TD run in Phoenix are personal favorites, along with Antonio's helmet catch against Baltimore and catch to seal the deal on 3rd down against the Jets. My trifecta of favorites has to be 3) Troy intercepting Flacco in the AFC Championship, (2) Harrison's interception and TD run,
    (1) Santonio's toe tap TD.
    I definitely agree with your assessment. I added Lloyd's count out of Al Toon not because of any significance for the franchise but because I was an adult at the time. I was a kid during the 70's era Steelers and although I remember most of the big plays, they are vague memories at best. I was just shy of 2 for the IR, so I would not remember that one even if it was on the tube at my house.

Another aspect of "era bias" is we can watch so much more football now. Whether it be NFL Sunday Ticket or via the internet, we can watch every Steeler game regardless of where we live. It was a rare treat to watch a game when I was a kid growing up in upstate NY where it was the Bills, Giants, or Jets on. I saw a lot more OJ than I did Franco.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

I missed out on all of the 70's. Wasn't born until 88.

I also think when the Steelers broke Harbaughs pass to the endzone that took us to the superbowl in 95 I believe was a play I remember. That ball never seems to want to come down. It was a controversial call that all the colts players thought he caught it, but he didn't. That Hail Mary attempt always sticks in my mind.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    I missed out on all of the 70's. Wasn't born until 88.

I also think when the Steelers broke Harbaughs pass to the endzone that took us to the superbowl in 95 I believe was a play I remember. That ball never seems to want to come down. It was a controversial call that all the colts players thought he caught it, but he didn't. That Hail Mary attempt always sticks in my mind.
    Yes that was a crazy ending to the game and just a crazy game overall.......Colts actually had the lead late in that game if my memory serves me correct......Plus the Steelers did get a call in that game.....Kordell did step out of bounds in came back in on his TD catch but the refs missed it.....lol

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Yes that was a crazy ending to the game and just a crazy game overall.......Colts actually had the lead late in that game if my memory serves me correct......Plus the Steelers did get a call in that game.....Kordell did step out of bounds in came back in on his TD catch but the refs missed it.....lol
    willie williams? The colts had the lead and the ball late in 4th quarter.,..on 3rd and 3 colts are running it for a sure 1st down when Willie comes from behind and makes the biggest tackle of the entire decade....a tackle that i cant find on youtube or anywhere...but i will never forget it....had he not made tackle, we very likely lose that game...losing back to back at home OMG.....anyone remember? why is it so forgotton....this play was bigger than the hail mary miss

Thread Information