Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your 5 favorite Steeler plays of all time?

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Addicted

What's your 5 favorite Steeler plays of all time?

It's a slow time of year, so let's ask the question:

What's your 5 favorite Steeler plays of all time?

So many to choose from and I'm sure the "Immaculate Reception" will get it's share, but mine are:

Harrison's interception return vs. Cardinals in SB43.

Same game, Holmes game winning catch.

Hines Ward knocking Ed Reed cold vs. Ravens.

FWP's long TD run against Seahags, SB XL.

Franco's defiant TD run (up the gut) against Cowboys in SB.

These are but a few of mine, what's yours?

holmes game winner is easily #1...it doesnt get better, the redemption of the dropped pass the play before, ben scrambling and throwing into triple coverage even though it was a poor decision it was one of the most brilliant throws, and the ward hugging him asking him if he got his feet down and holmes just smiling

after that it was ben with the sweet feet getting the tackle on nick harper against the colts, wouldnt be on the list if vanderjact didnt miss...but he did

kemo ploughing into carsons knee during a game i think they were going to lose that vaulted them to the superbowl (not ashamed of how messed up that is)

there was a play against the broncos that ward absolutely took champ bailey to school in the playoffs...if you watch it, its beautiful route running

ryan clarks hit on willis mcgahee that left him limp on the field and the raven came out to pray

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    holmes game winner is easily #1...it doesnt get better, the redemption of the dropped pass the play before, ben scrambling and throwing into triple coverage even though it was a poor decision it was one of the most brilliant throws, and the ward hugging him asking him if he got his feet down and holmes just smiling

after that it was ben with the sweet feet getting the tackle on nick harper against the colts, wouldnt be on the list if vanderjact didnt miss...but he did

kemo ploughing into carsons knee during a game i think they were going to lose that vaulted them to the superbowl (not ashamed of how messed up that is)

there was a play against the broncos that ward absolutely took champ bailey to school in the playoffs...if you watch it, its beautiful route running

ryan clarks hit on willis mcgahee that left him limp on the field and the raven came out to pray
    All great plays, but I believe that you suffer from the same disease that most of us do, era bias.

Not one from the 70's? You may have been too young to remember (I have no idea how old you are) but surely something from that era has to make the list. :-)
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    All great plays, but I believe that you suffer from the same disease that most of us do, era bias.

Not one from the 70's? You may have been too young to remember (I have no idea how old you are) but surely something from that era has to make the list. :-)
    23, no 70s for me

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad

I was born in 79 so I didn't see any of the 70s plays......If I'm making a personal list then it has to be a play in my lifetime......Now if we're talking Greatest Steelers Plays of Alltime then yea plays from the 70s should be littered all over the place but the thread is Your 5 Favorite Steelers Plays so that I why I made plays that happened since I have been alive....

I was certainly alive during the 70s! However, I think I suffer from "more recent" bias. It's just that some of these plays are so much more vivid in my mind - in terms of real time impact. I don't think anyone could argue about the IR being number one in all-time Steeler plays, but, if you weren't alive when it happened, it wouldn't be your own personal favorite. Anyway, all my blah blah just relates to my having a hard time picking and ranking - we were at the game in Pittsburgh when Deshea intercepted Romo and ran it back for 6. In the context of that game and season and my own personal enjoyment, I have to rank it way up there. Also, Mike Wallace's toe tap against Green Bay and his catch and TD run in Phoenix are personal favorites, along with Antonio's helmet catch against Baltimore and catch to seal the deal on 3rd down against the Jets. My trifecta of favorites has to be 3) Troy intercepting Flacco in the AFC Championship, (2) Harrison's interception and TD run,
    (1) Santonio's toe tap TD.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Root4Stlrs View Post
    I was certainly alive during the 70s! However, I think I suffer from "more recent" bias. It's just that some of these plays are so much more vivid in my mind - in terms of real time impact. I don't think anyone could argue about the IR being number one in all-time Steeler plays, but, if you weren't alive when it happened, it wouldn't be your own personal favorite. Anyway, all my blah blah just relates to my having a hard time picking and ranking - we were at the game in Pittsburgh when Deshea intercepted Romo and ran it back for 6. In the context of that game and season and my own personal enjoyment, I have to rank it way up there. Also, Mike Wallace's toe tap against Green Bay and his catch and TD run in Phoenix are personal favorites, along with Antonio's helmet catch against Baltimore and catch to seal the deal on 3rd down against the Jets. My trifecta of favorites has to be 3) Troy intercepting Flacco in the AFC Championship, (2) Harrison's interception and TD run,
    (1) Santonio's toe tap TD.
    I definitely agree with your assessment. I added Lloyd's count out of Al Toon not because of any significance for the franchise but because I was an adult at the time. I was a kid during the 70's era Steelers and although I remember most of the big plays, they are vague memories at best. I was just shy of 2 for the IR, so I would not remember that one even if it was on the tube at my house.

Another aspect of "era bias" is we can watch so much more football now. Whether it be NFL Sunday Ticket or via the internet, we can watch every Steeler game regardless of where we live. It was a rare treat to watch a game when I was a kid growing up in upstate NY where it was the Bills, Giants, or Jets on. I saw a lot more OJ than I did Franco.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Veteran
    I agree. Perhaps the greatest single play in football history, the Immaculate Reception and no one mentioned it.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    I agree. Perhaps the greatest single play in football history, the Immaculate Reception and no one mentioned it.
    Because the immaculate reception goes without mentioning.

(also a lot of people did mention it)

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    It's mentioned numerous times, including the very first post.

Thread Information