Thread: Anthony Spencer

Bookmark and Share

Anthony Spencer

He is getting a lot of love here... I heard it was started by 32 and it looks like it spread. He obviously had good stats and was first team All-Big Ten, but do you guys think Tomlin will select a player better suited for a 3-4 when it seems he may want to morph into a 4-3 over time.

All the hype had me wondering so I watched the Penn State/Purdue game from last season I have saved on my DVR. I only watched when Purdue was on defense and I watched Spencer every snap... I know it's just one game, but here is my take.

I was impressed by Spencer... he went against Levi Brown pretty much all day. I thought Levi did a good job agaist him, but Spencer made some plays too. He had a few tackles, pressured the quarterback a few times, got Levi Brown to false start twice, tipped a pass at the line, almost caused a fumble on a near sack, and had two nice stops on short yardage.

Strengths: Very athletic, aggressive, accelerates well, finishes tackles, comfortable in space, very good in short yardage, makes plays in pursuit and away from the line of scrimmage.

Weaknesses: Does not transition into secondary pass rush moves, volnerable to mis-direction plays and can get caught over-pursuing, needs to maintain his line to the quarterback easily chipped or knocked off, and he often slows down before the whistle.

Bottom Line: What he does well... he does very well.

32 carved him into my skull, and no were not switching to 4-3...i know this, tomlin just doesnt seem like the type

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    we won't switch full time, but we are gonna see a good dose of it every game......and according to 32 he can play DE and OLB so he could stay on the field when we do the switching during the game lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Maybe switching back and forth will do us good
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Yea, the Spencer hype is spreading oh yea. The good thing about Spencer he would be a DE in a 4-3 and an OLB in a 3-4. At least thats what I think.

Its official I'm the president of the Anthony Spencer fan club.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Yeah 32 sucked me into the hype also lol......From what I've been reading this guys stock rose after the senior bowl and hes hard to handle coming off the line.

Senior bowl practice showed Spencer in constant one on ones with Levi Brown, while Brown didn't completely dominate Spencer whenever he got his hands on Spencer he was able to control him to a certain extent. BUT Spencer was never out of a play, there were times when Spencer got to the outside and completely overwhelmed Brown. Against any other tackle in practice Spencer was completely dominating. He has showed the speed to be an outside force to be reckoned with. He also has the game savvy to recognize a T off balance and can easily rip or spin back to the inside. In the practices he didn't play the LB position but with his athleticism he should be great even at LB. Led the nation with 26.5 tackles for a loss, which averages to 2.04 per game. He ranks 2nd in the Big Ten and 15th nationally with .81 sacks per game. He also ranks 15th in the Big Ten with 6.6 tackles per game most by a DL.
    Last edited by DIESELMAN; 02-04-2007 at 03:07 PM.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Roger Goodell-And with the 15th pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the pittsburgh steelers select.........Anthony Spencer-OLB-Purdue

has a good ring to it

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
    Roger Goodell-And with the 15th pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the pittsburgh steelers select.........Anthony Spencer-OLB-Purdue

has a good ring to it
    Yes it does.....

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard

You are a good salesman!

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Yea, the Spencer hype is spreading oh yea. The good thing about Spencer he would be a DE in a 4-3 and an OLB in a 3-4. At least thats what I think.

Its official I'm the president of the Anthony Spencer fan club.
    The Spencer fever does seem to be spreading! You have sold just about everybody on this guy. If Okoye is available I would rather have him but if he's off the board im on the Spencer bandwagon! The unknown is we have no idea what direction Tomlin will go! I hope he reads the posts on this site and sees what the fans think!

Congrats to Tony Dungy.......former Steeler........3rd person to win a SB as player and coach! Well deserved!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

we dont need okoye lol

Thread Information