Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mel Kipper Felt Jarvis Jones Was A Top 10 Pick

Bookmark and Share
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Before you ask, no he shouldnt be suspended
    No he shouldn't be. A medical issue isn't a crime.

Btw, you still never accepted the bet I offered you.

No faith in your boy Goodell huh?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Just fn go away you dweeb!
    Um, no.

Have a nice day.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Yep, a good article about Jones and spinal stenosis here: http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs...inal-stenosis/

According to Dr. Hecht, players with spinal stenosis are at increased risk of stingers. However, they are also at risk for a more serious condition called cervical cord neuropraxia. Dr. Hecht had much to say about cervical cord neuropraxia, but the main distinguishing difference in this condition and a stinger is the presence of these symptoms in multiple limbs; both arms, both legs, or an arm and a leg.
    With all this said, Dr. Hecht was extremely clear about one thing. "Congenital spinal stenosis is not a contraindication of playing football."
    In fact, research shows that players with spinal stenosis are at no greater risk of devastating spinal cord injury than any other player with a normal-sized spinal canal. This flies in the face of what one could logically expect, but it is indeed the case.
    Every player that steps onto the football field is equally likely of suffering spinal trauma that may result in devastating neurological damage, paralysis, and even possible death.
    The biggest risk?

The condition is anything but comfortable, and we have seen that players with the ailment generally decide that football is simply not worth it at some point.
    Facts trump asinine and uneducated comments by Crash every time...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    And what ended Irvin's career?
    A herniated disk.

No one even KNEW he had spinal stenosis until they did the tests for the disk, which was actually the problem. He went an entire college and pro career with the issue and he did not even know.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    A herniated disk.

No one even KNEW he had spinal stenosis until they did the tests for the disk, which was actually the problem. He went an entire college and pro career with the issue and he did not even know.
    And if he did? You think he plays as long as he did?

The money these teams pay out now? They know everything.

Banned
    The condition is anything but comfortable, and we have seen that players with the ailment generally decide that football is simply not worth it at some point.
    Which is exactly my point.

This isn't going away. If anything that statement by a medical expert does all the talking for me.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    And if he did? You think he plays as long as he did?

The money these teams pay out now? They know everything.
    O a tackle following a reception, Irvin awkwardly slammed his head into the hard turf of Veterans Stadium and was temporarily paralyzed.

Tests revealed that he sustained a herniated disc, but they also detected that Irvin was born with a narrow spinal cord.
    They "detected" the spinal stenosis when they found the herniated disk (the actual injury). Again, you are FOS.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Which is exactly my point.

This isn't going away. If anything that statement by a medical expert does all the talking for me.
    Only if you fail to read the entire article. He has not been having problems with it, so any assumption that he will get scared and quit is just that, an assumption. He can play as long as he wants without any more chance of a bad injury than the next guy.

Banned
    They "detected" the spinal stenosis when they found the herniated disk (the actual injury).
    Correct. And had he known about that injury earlier IMO he doesn't play as long as he did.

READ!

You guys are also comparing a QB and a WR to a linebacker. Jones will deliver, and take, more blows in one game, than a QB or WR may take in three.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Only if you fail to read the entire article. He has not been having problems with it, so any assumption that he will get scared and quit is just that, an assumption. He can play as long as he wants without any more chance of a bad injury than the next guy.
    Tell that to Tim Lewis.

Thread Information