Thread: NFL Coach Rankings

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

NFL Coach Rankings

Tomlin is at five.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...-rings-sure-do

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Assistant Coach
    its a pretty solid list... but it seems to be put together without much thought.... some rankings i'd argue with...
    - Pete Carroll is waaaaaay to low. Should easily be in the top 10.
    - Jason Garrett should rank near the bottom, he's an atrocious coach
    - Schiano ahead of Pagano? come on man...
    - I've always thought Andy Reid was an overrated coach... but 10 seems fair
    - Marvin Lewis is underrated
    - of all the new coaches at the bottom of the list... I think Chudzinski has the brightest future

mine would be based more on the present, than past achievements... and more my opinion on their coaching ability (subjective):

1. Coughlin
    2. Jim Harbough
    3. McCarthy
    4. Belicheat
    5. Carrol
    6. John Harbough
    7. Payton
    8. Tomlin
    9. Fisher
    10. Fox
    11. Shanahan
    12. Lewis
    13. Ryan
    14. Reid
    15. Kubiak
    16. M.Smith

the rest don't have enough of a resume yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Alex Smith deserved to go instead of Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    its a pretty solid list... but it seems to be put together without much thought.... some rankings i'd argue with...
    - Pete Carroll is waaaaaay to low. Should easily be in the top 10.
    - Jason Garrett should rank near the bottom, he's an atrocious coach
    - Schiano ahead of Pagano? come on man...
    - I've always thought Andy Reid was an overrated coach... but 10 seems fair
    - Marvin Lewis is underrated
    - of all the new coaches at the bottom of the list... I think Chudzinski has the brightest future

mine would be based more on the present, than past achievements... and more my opinion on their coaching ability (subjective):

1. Coughlin
    2. Jim Harbough
    3. McCarthy
    4. Belicheat
    5. Carrol
    6. John Harbough
    7. Payton
    8. Tomlin
    9. Fisher
    10. Fox
    11. Shanahan
    12. Lewis
    13. Ryan
    14. Reid
    15. Kubiak
    16. M.Smith

the rest don't have enough of a resume yet...
    I agree with Jim over John

Tomlin right around 5 seems right to me, he has his flaws but he has done a good job.

Pete Carroll still have one more year to prove himself to me, he looks to be building a good team but it could all be a hoax. They overachieved a bit last year i think.

I really really like schiano, pagano has just as limited as a head coaching resume considering he wasnt around much last year

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post

Tomlin right around 5 seems right to me, he has his flaws but he has done a good job.

Pete Carroll still have one more year to prove himself to me, he looks to be building a good team but it could all be a hoax. They overachieved a bit last year i think.

I really really like schiano, pagano has just as limited as a head coaching resume considering he wasnt around much last year
    I'm a huge Carrol fan from an Xs/Os standpoint. He's a coach, like Jim H, who is ahead of the game... that rivalry is going to be the best in football for a LONG time.

That Seattle team reminds me a LOT of the Steelers when Ben first arrived. They are a very very deep roster. They are young and talented across the board (even more than the Steelers were when Ben arrived). Carrol's team can play however they need to play, meaning, they attack their opponents weakness on both sides of the ball. That is how you win today. The old cliche, "we're going to play our game"... is dead. The new cliche should be, "we are going to play the game that is needed to beat you". That's what Carrol is doing in Seattle.

My biggest gripe with Tomlin is that we don't do that enough. We do it here and there (that New England victory a few years back... great example)... but then we treat weaker teams like we can just play "our game", which has lead to numerous losses to lesser quality teams over the Tomlin years.

I think Tomlin is a good coach (not interested in having that argument with the haters around here... lol), but I'm hoping he takes the next step this year.

/rant over

from a coaching standpoint i think rex ryan is wildly underrated, hes kind of a dick to the media and is an attention whore, but i think hes a great coach.

He put all his eggs in the sanchez basket though which will likely do him in with the Jets

Assistant Coach
    from a coaching standpoint i think rex ryan is wildly underrated, hes kind of a dick to the media and is an attention whore, but i think hes a great coach.

He put all his eggs in the sanchez basket though which will likely do him in with the Jets
    He's a great defensive coach for sure. but... any coach who puts all his eggs in the sanchez basket is questionable from a head coach perspective...

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar

Pete Carroll still has to prove himself? The team has gotten better every year since he's been there. And the talent he's brought in since he's been there is undeniable. The Seahawks overachieved??? Wow. You can easily argue that Carroll has done a better job at being a coach then Tomlin. Easily. Carroll makes real decisions on that team; Tomlin hides behind the Rooney's skirt on a lot of things.

The only thing that Tomlin has that Carroll doesn't is the two Super Bowl appearances and the Super Bowl win. But the Seahawks are going to the Super Bowl this year (you heard it here first!) so that's going to make it moot.

So you like Schiano? What has he proven? He's shaken the confidence in Freeman instead of coming in and making him "The guy". He's irritated the other coaches by this "hit until the last play of the game" mentality that doesn't translate from college to the pros. And his team collapse on him down the stretch for a coach who's suppose to be such a disciplinarian.

Now the total story on Schiano hasn't been written because he's only had one season. But how can you say you like Schiano when he's shown nothing and then say Pete Carroll still has to prove it to you when Carroll has proven it over some years with Seattle because Seattle has gotten better every year under him? Doesn't make sense.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Assistant Coach
    nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    He's a great defensive coach for sure. but... any coach who puts all his eggs in the sanchez basket is questionable from a head coach perspective...
    Hindsight is a bitch, i never liked sanchez (especially only starting 16 games at USC) but they needed a QB and they got their guy. It didnt work out in that he never grew as a player, but you can miss on a young QB and still be a good coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Pete Carroll still has to prove himself? The team has gotten better every year since he's been there. And the talent he's brought in since he's been there is undeniable. The Seahawks overachieved??? Wow. You can easily argue that Carroll has done a better job at being a coach then Tomlin. Easily. Carroll makes real decisions on that team; Tomlin hides behind the Rooney's skirt on a lot of things.

The only thing that Tomlin has that Carroll doesn't is the two Super Bowl appearances and the Super Bowl win. But the Seahawks are going to the Super Bowl this year (you heard it here first!) so that's going to make it moot.

So you like Schiano? What has he proven? He's shaken the confidence in Freeman instead of coming in and making him "The guy". He's irritated the other coaches by this "hit until the last play of the game" mentality that doesn't translate from college to the pros. And his team collapse on him down the stretch for a coach who's suppose to be such a disciplinarian.

Now the total story on Schiano hasn't been written because he's only had one season. But how can you say you like Schiano when he's shown nothing and then say Pete Carroll still has to prove it to you when Carroll has proven it over some years with Seattle because Seattle has gotten better every year under him? Doesn't make sense.
    i didnt say schiano was better than carroll, i said i think i rate him higher than pagano. His teams weakness was the secondary and he addressed that with mark barron, dashon golson, darrelle Revis, and jonathan banks...thats addressing your weakness in a big way.

I think carroll is good, i do really believe that russell wilson overachieved last year. Everyone sees a second half of good solid QB play and assumes theres no possible way he could ever regress. Also, i love what carroll does on defense. He just wants his guys to be bigger than they guys they are facing, and aside from earl thomas they really are gigantic on defense, theres ways to beat that though and i would expect adjustments to be made.

I do think they overachieved, i think adding harvin could make them dynamic but i could also see them taking a step back this year. They arent going to the superbowl, they and the niners will be fun to watch and see how it plays out but i am predicting wilson take a little step back this year. Hes a what you see is what you get type QB to me, pretty polished in that he was a 5 year starter in college but i dont know if you can expect him to just be heroic again, teams adjust to young Qbs in year two

Also, the seahawks have some PED problems right now..we'll have to see how that plays out, but some of these guys could be looking at a year long suspension if it happens again, i believe bruce irvin is suspended to start the season already
    Last edited by K Train; 07-17-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Assistant Coach
    Seattle is on the same path (to standard contender) that Pittsburgh was on when they drafted Ben. The only difference is that the talent around Wilson, is younger than the talent that was around Ben as a rookie. Seattle's window might take a little more time to open fully, but it will be sustained longer.

The O and D lines in seattle are a thing of beauty, combined with playmakers on offense and a filthy good secondary... I don't expect regression at all next year.

Wilson may not have the elite upside of your typical franchise QB, but he'll overcome it with the intangibles he brings to the table as a leader (i.e. drew brees)

Thread Information