Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mel Kipper Felt Jarvis Jones Was A Top 10 Pick

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    He'll never lead the NFL in sacks with LeBeau as DC because he'll be wasted in pass coverage.

Then some ignorant like you will complain about his sack totals without taking his ROLE in the defense into consideration.

If he's flagged for 4 hits on QBs? Goodell will suspend him. Goodell hates the Steelers.

Go read Steelers Digest. You aren't bright enough to discuss this team with me.
    so just cause he plays in a 34 as a linebacker and not a DE he'll be wasted? lol youre a clown

You aren't bright enough to discuss this team with me.
    I find this highly entertaining comment in all of this, roflmao . Train has forgotten more about the STEELERS then you will ever hope to know...

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    I find this highly entertaining comment in all of this, roflmao . Train has forgotten more about the STEELERS then you will ever hope to know...
    Please. He cheerleads.

Rah friggin' rah!

Watch the games. Idiots do it to Woodley now. They whine about his sack totals and they don't chart how much LeBeau wastes him in pass coverage. James Harrison same thing last season. Second game of his season (on a short week) on a bad knee and "genius" LeBeau had him in one on one pass coverage with Jared Cook in the 4th quarter of a tie game.

James' play only "improved" late in the year when he wasn't in coverage, and was closer to the LOS.
    woodley shouldnt be dropping into coverage as much as he does...hes solid for what he is as a player, but he is closer to a rusher than an OLB. Harrison was a phenom against the run and a decent pass rusher, but does ok in coverage.

Jones on the other hand is a rush backer with good agility and coverage skills, needs to work on his upper body strength but overall hes going to be rushing the passer, him being comfortable in coverage only works in his favor.

Von Miller might be the best 34 OLB prospect weve seen in 10 years and the broncos play him in a 43 and he still dominates pass rushing. Timmons is one of the best blitzing linebackers in the league but he is PUTRID as an outside rusher and tremendous in coverage. I really hope they play to jones skills, because i do believe he has Von Miller like ability, not quite the first step but similar player.

Lebeau does ok, but he needs to make some adjustments schematically. I do look forward to life after lebeau, but for now he does just fine. He has earned his stay, he lost aaron smith and had to plug in evander hood...what a drop off of the foundation of the defense that is. Plus hampton, a top 3 NT of this generation, troy falling off, woodley being hurt...its not all on leabeu, quit acting like it is. They kept a great roster together a few years too long

Please. He cheerleads.

Rah friggin' rah!
    lol i give you a rational response and thats what i get?

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LASVEGASGUY View Post
    Did I miss the memo that Tomlin was fired?
    I have Tomlin issues but I'm remaining positive. He has no excuses this year.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Correct. And had he known about that injury earlier IMO he doesn't play as long as he did.
    LOL Yeah, Crash, everyone here is sooooooo anxious to get your "opinion" (for example, Ben would not be a Steeler in 2013 or the Steelers were playing "prevent" D when Fitz burned us in the SB) instead of fact. The FACT is that Jones is in no more danger of leaving the game due to a back injury than the next guy.

Tell that to Tim Lewis.
    LOL Tim Lewis? The guy retired in 1986! Do you realize how far medicine has come in understanding spinal stenosis since 1986 or even 1999 when Irvin retired? Medicine has moved light years since then, as MRIs (what they use to detect spinal stenosis) were still in their infancy. In fact, two doctors won a Nobel Prize in 2003 for discovering its uses as a diagnostic tool.

You may as well use a pitcher from the 1950's as proof that you cannot come back from a UCL tear and ignore Tommy John surgery developed in the 1970's.

What matters is what science says now. Jones is in no more danger than any other player on the field.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Addicted
    everyone one of crash's post are so damn whiny it's actually funny. i read a crash post and all i hear is this:

"Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Anyway, back on topic.

Jones is an exciting player, theres really not much to like about his game putting the back issues aside (which never bothered him at Georgia)

I hope he works his way into at least getting reps early and often, i have zero faith about worilds producing consistently or even flirting with doing it at a high level, so hopefully they move jones in quite a bit (would even like him replacing foote on passing downs to be honest)

They will be able to do some interesting things with jones....i hope these top 3 picks are quality contributors from day one, im less excited about bell and think wheaton will be awesome, its just a matter of when for him, WRs doing anything as a rookie are hit and miss

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Good idea (about getting on topic), K Train.

I am pretty confident that he will see a lot of action. As others have said, it is not like our linebackers have been reliable injury wise.

I would also point out that he transcends the reasons that previous young LBs did not see much action. 1) He does not have an established star in front of him to beat out (at least on one side).

2) The critique of Lebeau not playing rookies is not applicable here. The other "kids" were almost all playing a new position (our OLBs always came from smaller college defensive linemen) or system. Jones played OLB in a 3-4, so he is light years ahead of most. It will then all come down to how hard he works on the playbook, health, fitness, etc.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Thread Information