Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying under the radar this year?

Bookmark and Share

Flying under the radar this year?

Anybody else seem to enjoy when the Steelers fly under the RADAR of the general population?

I saw this article today , expounding on how difficult it is to maintain a league-leading defense in the complexities of the current NFL. With quotes like:

As much as the league’s great defenses are always about talent, they’re more about scheme than ever before these days. In the truly modern NFL, defenses substitute entire positional rotations, play nickel and dime defense at least half the time, and must counter offenses looking to stretch the field in ways we’ve never seen. Add a dizzying array of option routes, more and more option quarterbacks who can actually throw the ball, and a new emphasis on speed no-huddle sets, and it’s clear that the task of providing premium NFL defense on a week-to-week basis (never mind season-to-season) is tougher than it has ever been before.
    and

NFL teams capable of putting great defenses on the field should be credited more than ever for doing so, because it’s a post-graduate course these days.
    I expected to see something about the Steelers who've done it consistently for the past decade or so. Nada! Nothing, Vapor!

According to the NFL official Stats, the Steelers placed at the following ranks for the previous years (#1 six different times, top 10 every year..., top 5 all but four...):

2012 - 1
    2011 - 1
    2010 - 2
    2009 - 5
    2008 - 1
    2007 - 1
    2006 - 9
    2005 - 4
    2004 - 1
    2003 - 9
    2002 - 7
    2001 - 1
    2000 - 7

Excited to see what they do this year, compared with these other mentioned in the article. Seattle, 49ers, Packers, Texans, and the Bears? C'mon, man!

My Mood
    Addicted
    One game at a time.

On here, the Steelers are not under the radar. They are overrated by everyone in the media. They will be swept by the browns and will be the bottom feeders of the AFCN.

Flying under the radar this year?

Bengals having a tv show makes them the trendy pick. Ravens coming off a SB win are as well. Weeden and the browns having a pretty dang good preseason makes them look better then they will.

All this team has to do is play with no major injuries and they'll be in the thick of things!

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Bengals having a tv show makes them the trendy pick. Ravens coming off a SB win are as well. Weeden and the browns having a pretty dang good preseason makes them look better then they will.

All this team has to do is play with no major injuries and they'll be in the thick of things!
    The Browns did hit a wall with the Colts.. But they are the Browns.

Steelers will be fine. We need our running game to play strong for our AFCN opponents. Then we will win the division. The AFCN is a defensive power house all 6 games will be battle royals.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    The O-line working to make a running game/protect Ben has always been the key.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Addicted
    One game at a time.

This team will go as far as the coaching staff takes it.

The talent is there, the discipline needs to return. The penalties must be reduced and game time coaching decisions need to be improved.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    One game at a time.

This team will go as far as the coaching staff takes it.

The talent is there, the discipline needs to return. The penalties must be reduced and game time coaching decisions need to be improved.
    The truth is that the Steelers ARE a disciplined team.

We ranked 6th in penalties last season. We were worse the two years prior but I suspect that at least some of that comes from two distinct factors, A) Our O-line sucked. Poor linemen hold; and B) we have an aggressive defense that refs give a lot of scrutiny to.

Our WRs block. Our defense is one of the best tackling units in the league. Those are the signs of disciplined teams.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Warren, OH. It's about a hour & 45 minutes NW from the Burgh.
    I think it's as simple as this: If there are limited injuries this season and if the O line can gel together to play as a cohesive unit, the Steelers will be hard to beat. I think it will be rough sledding at the beginning of the season but hopefully they can win a couple ugly ones while the O line gels.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    The truth is that the Steelers ARE a disciplined team.

We ranked 6th in penalties last season. We were worse the two years prior but I suspect that at least some of that comes from two distinct factors, A) Our O-line sucked. Poor linemen hold; and B) we have an aggressive defense that refs give a lot of scrutiny to.

Our WRs block. Our defense is one of the best tackling units in the league. Those are the signs of disciplined teams.
    They are as far from a traditional Steeler disciplined team as possible. The penalties are of the repeat bone-headed nature. I hope to see discipline return soon.

Thread Information