Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Felix Jones....WHY?

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar

Felix Jones....WHY?

From behindthesteelcurtain.com

Felix Jones ran the stretch better than anyone else, that's why he's still on the Steelers
    By Paper Champions on Aug 31 2013, 7:00p

How do you help a struggling offensive line? Run the stretch zone. Felix Jones may be the beneficiary of the recent woes of the Steeler offensive line.

The stretch zone helps out an offensive line because you do not have to push a defender back off of the ball. Instead, you are stretching the defense vertically. Moreover, the stretch zone sets up a beautiful play action pass. This play action helps to slow down an opposing pash rush.

The key to a stretch zone is having a running back that can find the seams in the defense as it is being stretched. Simply, Felix Jones did this consistently better than any Steeler back this preseason. Jones may no longer have the pedigree of a number one draft pick, and that's fine. What he can do, however, is put the Steelers in 2nd and 7 instead of 2nd and 12. Jonathan Dwyer did not make enough big runs to justify the amount of times he put the Steelers in 2nd and 12.

Jones also gives the Steelers another option to use in the passing game and the return game. Jones may have found himself in a perfect situation in Pittsburgh. The Steelers may have found a productive player in 2013 for the price of an outside linebacker that was going to be cut anyways.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Jones and Bell could end up being a thunder/lighting combo.

Also, in you mind, compare Felix Jones to Willie Parker.

Banned
    I don't mind Felix. However, he has had Injury issues in the past. Also, I see he and Howling as simular RB's. And if Redman gets hurt early on, who is our bigger RB ? Hopefully Bell can make it back really soon, get some Reps, and hopefully be the RB that the Steelers thought when they drafted him.

I think Bell and Jones can be something to be excited about in a ZBS

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I think Bell and Jones can be something to be excited about in a ZBS
    That's how I'm feeling. I think that with both of them, we could really have a run game that will take some real pressure off of Ben. Give us the balance we need and dare I say it....establish a real play action pass? Forcing those safties to have to come down in the box against the run, allowing Brown and Sanders one-on-one opportunities. That's the scenario we all want..and Wheaton in the slot??? I'm salivating.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    That's how I'm feeling. I think that with both of them, we could really have a run game that will take some real pressure off of Ben. Give us the balance we need and dare I say it....establish a real play action pass? Forcing those safties to have to come down in the box against the run, allowing Brown and Sanders one-on-one opportunities. That's the scenario we all want..and Wheaton in the slot??? I'm salivating.

You're Salivating over Felix Jones ?....A RB that not ONE SINGLE NFL team had any Interest in during free agency ?..Including us. And when he WAS finally brought into Philly...most likely as a a Camp body, couldn't even get any playing time. THIS is the RB you are Salivating over ?

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    You're Salivating over Felix Jones ?....A RB that not ONE SINGLE NFL team had any Interest in during free agency ?..Including us. And when he WAS finally brought into Philly...most likely as a a Camp body, couldn't even get any playing time. THIS is the RB you are Salivating over ?

hmmmm kind of contradictory don't you think?

I'm excited about Jones.
    He costs nothing
    He's a good return man
    He has plenty of NFL experience
    He is tailor made for a zone scheme
    He showed better feet/vision than any back during the pre-season (we didn't get to see Bell/Redman but for a few touches)

His first series of the pre-season was against the first team defense... it was the best running series of the pre-season
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    NPB - As long as I breath I will ban you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    hmmmm kind of contradictory don't you think?

I'm excited about Jones.
    He costs nothing
    He's a good return man
    He has plenty of NFL experience
    He is tailor made for a zone scheme
    He showed better feet/vision than any back during the pre-season (we didn't get to see Bell/Redman but for a few touches)

His first series of the pre-season was against the first team defense... it was the best running series of the pre-season

Jones NEVER played during the preseason against ANYONES 1st team defense. Thats a flat out Lie. And he has been a disappointment since being drafted. Yes I agree he costs us nothing, but lets not get overly excited about a former 1st round BUST who has a History of Injuries and durability Issues who NO ONE wanted during Free agency.
    Keep it real Brother.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by questforSB7 View Post
    Jones NEVER played during the preseason against ANYONES 1st team defense. Thats a flat out Lie. And he has been a disappointment since being drafted. Yes I agree he costs us nothing, but lets not get overly excited about a former 1st round BUST who has a History of Injuries and durability Issues who NO ONE wanted during Free agency.
    Keep it real Brother.
    I suggest you not accuse me of lying anymore

Felix Jones entered the game in the 2nd quarter versus Kansas City. Do you think Kansas City pulled their 1st team defense in the 2nd quarter of the 3rd pre-season game?

1st and 10 at KC 34 F.Jones up the middle to KC 34 for no gain (D.Johnson).
    3rd and 13 at PIT 34 (Shotgun) F.Jones left end to PIT 41 for 7 yards (D.Johnson; E.Berry).
    1st and 10 at PIT 18 F.Jones up the middle to PIT 23 for 5 yards (D.Poe, A.Jordan).
    2nd and 5 at PIT 23 F.Jones left guard to PIT 26 for 3 yards (T.Hali, D.Poe).

That's their starting defense... that played into the 3rd quarter

check yourself
    Last edited by NeilPatrickBanana; 09-03-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    NPB - As long as I breath I will ban you.

Banned
    Your best argument is a KC defense ( LOL ) Look, like I said, I don't mind the Jones trade. I mean it cost us nothing. But, do you really think Jones History as a player, and his pedigree as a RB is any better then say IF the Steelers would have say signed free agent RB Willis McGahee to the SAME Vet minimum deal that we are paying Felix Jones ? I mean what possible argument can you use to say Felix Jones is better then Willis McGahee ? I mean Jones has a WAY WORSE History of Injuries then Willis has had. Willis McGahee in 2011 was a Pro Bowl RB. Even last year in 10 games McGahee had 731 Yds, and MORE rushing TD's then Felix Jones has EVER had in a season!! And Willis McGahee is a even BETTER Receiver out of the Backfield then Jones is.

So, if we would have signed Willis McGahee, and NOT traded for Jones, I will bet MY LIFE you would still be here Pimping Willis McGahee as a GREAT pick-up, and combination Duo to go along with Bell. Bottom line, stop acting like Felix "F'Ing " Jones is some kind of All-World Acquisition...cause he is not.

Thread Information