Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Clark be Extended?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel

Should Clark be Extended?

There were some grumblings as of late weather or not Ryan Clark should be extended...

What are your thoughts and feelings?
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Addicted
    I am still concerned with the overall depth (or lack-there of) at the safety position, plus both Clark and Troy getting there in age. Of Clark or Troy, I would be more willing to extended Clark, simply due to his ability to stay on the field and off IR.

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it (at the right price) for 1 year and a club option for the second. I guess my thought would be this would buy us a little time to have Shamarko develop and add a few more bodies to the roster at this position (through the draft or FA).

C-town

Veteran
    I think safety is a position where we should look for a free agent to avoid a huge let down when Clark and Troy leave. We need to get into a place where financially, we can do this periodically to help the team avoid a big drop in production.

Certainly need him this year but next year this team will have to see how the young guys pan out.

A huge let down would be extending clark and expecting anywhere near the same level of play (which is pretty average to begin with) for the entirety of another contract. They need to find a replacement for him just like they found him when they let hope go, and like when they plugged hope in for brent alexander...ect.

Clark is not a player you want to hold onto for too long, something the steelers have been guilty of with some defenders recently

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    A huge let down would be extending clark and expecting anywhere near the same level of play (which is pretty average to begin with) for the entirety of another contract. They need to find a replacement for him just like they found him when they let hope go, and like when they plugged hope in for brent alexander...ect.

Clark is not a player you want to hold onto for too long, something the steelers have been guilty of with some defenders recently
    Im indifferent to re-signing Clark... until I see more from Golden and Thomas...

But calling Clark "pretty average", is "pretty stupid"...
    you need to buy yourself some coaches tape... not sure how you can judge a FS without it, but it's clear you aren't watching the coaches tape and seeing his reads.

Based on Performance, PFF #7 Safety in 2012, #113th best PLAYER in the NFL 2012

I know you respect PFF...

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    Im indifferent to re-signing Clark... until I see more from Golden and Thomas...

But calling Clark "pretty average", is "pretty stupid"...
    you need to buy yourself some coaches tape... not sure how you can judge a FS without it, but it's clear you aren't watching the coaches tape and seeing his reads.

Based on Performance, PFF #7 Safety in 2012, #113th best PLAYER in the NFL 2012

I know you respect PFF...
    PFF also called matt spaeth the #1 best blocking TE in the whole wide world...lol

We know how you feel about clark and how keenan lewis had the best year for a steelers CB in like 9 decades...ive seen plenty of clark, i get it...hes played some good football recently, especially given the fact that he is a pretty slow FS and has to compensate for troy playing like a torpedo with a malfunctioning homing device or just not playing at all. Not only that but despite his ability to play solidly well, he doesnt create much of an impact in turnover department, which is something that the defense really needs. Point being he is still a middle of the pack FS and the team needs a youth movement, extending clark would be a step backwards. There is nothing wrong with calling him average, i guarantee many many many more people/players/coaches would agree with him being average more so than him being a world beater.

You just dont give average FSs who are 34 years old an extension and expect a lot of production.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    PFF also called matt spaeth the #1 best blocking TE in the whole wide world...lol
    That's right... because Spaeth IS an incredible zone blocker... zone scheme + length = highly effective. You may be judging Spaeth's blocking while he was here... in a man scheme, and was merely average (at best).

That's the good thing about PFF... they know football.

But, if pivoting to a straw man argument was necessary, you nailed it.

We know how you feel about clark and how keenan lewis had the best year for a steelers CB in like 9 decades...ive seen plenty of clark, i get it...hes played some good football recently, especially given the fact that he is a pretty slow FS and has to compensate for troy playing like a torpedo with a malfunctioning homing device or just not playing at all. Not only that but despite his ability to play solidly well, he doesnt create much of an impact in turnover department, which is something that the defense really needs. Point being he is still a middle of the pack FS and the team needs a youth movement, extending clark would be a step backwards. There is nothing wrong with calling him average, i guarantee many many many more people/players/coaches would agree with him being average more so than him being a world beater.
    The whole turnover argument is moot... he's a FS with a very difficult set of responsibilities. And HE has kept this teams pass defense near the top of the league the last 2 years, while their pass rush disintegrated.

If people are expecting better turnover numbers from someone else... they are kidding themselves... or maybe they expect us to go to a strict cover 2.

(ps, you don't have to do the "watch me bring up a different statement/argument you've made in the past, which is easier for me to argue with, as an example of how I should treat your opinion in this case - keenan - ... that **** is beneath you)

You just dont give average FSs who are 34 years old an extension and expect a lot of production.
    1. He's not average, he's VERY Good... and independent examination by a mutually acceptable entity confirms
    2. I'm not advocating an extension

Banned
    Matt Spaeth sucks. He'll suck in 2013 also.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Matt Spaeth sucks. He'll suck in 2013 also.
    You didn't watch a single Bears game last year

Thread Information