Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miller believes in the Steeler TE Group

Bookmark and Share

Miller believes in the Steeler TE Group

Miller believes tight end position in good hands

For years, it was the one guarantee of every Steelers season: They would talk about throwing to the tight end but wouldn't do it.

They finally did so under offensive coordinator Todd Haley a year ago
    , when Heath Miller caught a team-high 71 passes — only the second time since 1966 a tight end topped the Steelers in receptions.

But with Miller out indefinitely following knee surgery — he was injured in December — the Steelers might go into the season without not only their top downfield threat from a season ago in Mike Wallace but also their most reliable receiver in Miller.

Surprisingly, Miller doesn't think there will be a drop-off with what he believes might be the Steelers' best group of tight ends since he was a first-round pick out of Virginia in 2005.

“We have a really good room, a lot of capable guys in there,” Miller said. “I think maybe one of the best top to bottom that I've been starting camp with. Hopefully we'll be able to keep everybody healthy, and I think everybody is capable of contributing and doing a good job.”

If Miller can't start the season — and that appears to be a strong possibility — the starting tight end is likely to be Matt Spaeth, who is renowned for his blocking but never has caught more than 17 passes in six seasons, four with the Steelers. He caught 13 passes for 78 yards and three touchdowns the past two seasons in Chicago, where he was frequently utilized in two tight end sets.

Spaeth insists he didn't sign a two-year, $2 million deal with the Steelers just because he knew Miller might not be ready to start the season.

“I came back here because I love this organization, I love this team, and I enjoyed it all four years I was here,” Spaeth said. “That's why I'm back.”

He understands he probably won't see the ball as much as Miller did even if he is the starter, and he is comfortable with that. He knows his role; last season, Pro Football Focus rated him as the best blocking tight end in the league.

Don't think that wasn't attractive to Haley and coach Mike Tomlin, who have emphasized the necessity of re-establishing an effective running game. The Steelers, who have led the league in rushing since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970, were 26th in rushing last season.

A strong blocking tight end could help trigger that running game, especially when Miller returns and can line up with Spaeth in twin tight end formations. Last season, Leonard Pope and rookie David Paulson were the primary backup tight ends.

“I'm a role guy, I know I've got a role, and I never worry about how many balls are being thrown to me,” Spaeth said. “My goal is to go out every day and every game and play as well as I can, whether that's catching passes or blocking, it doesn't matter.”

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Whats the over/under until Eifert is brought up?
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    Whats the over/under until Eifert is brought up?
    looks like it was 1 reply...lol

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    looks like it was 1 reply...lol
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Info needs to be verified by a link. Nice try.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Funny stuff.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    What is Miller suppose to say???? That all the TE's we have are bums????? We've won championships without the TE being the end all to be all in the offense. We will be fine.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

It was posted in Trib... Sounds like Heath has doubts he is starting the season.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    We all had doubts that he would even be back before week # 3 of the season. This isn't news to me.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

ive been hopeful for him at full strength by week 6

My Mood
    Fight

Re: Miller believes in the Steeler TE Group

What he said^^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

Thread Information