Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben has say with the offense

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick

Ben has say with the offense

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ers-game-plans

Big Ben gains voice in Pittsburgh Steelers' game plans
    By Marc Sessler

Coming off an 8-8 season in Pittsburgh, the Steelers have plenty to point to when pondering what went wrong in 2012.

For starters, Ben Roethlisberger never warmed up to Todd Haley's offensive philosophy, which favored the ground game and offered the veteran quarterback less of a chance to call his own plays.

Has Big Ben had a change of heart?

NFL.com's Aditi Kinkhabwala wrote Wednesday that -- sometime between the end of last season and the hopeful days of May -- Roethlisberger "decided he liked the Steelers' offense."

One reason for the optimism: Big Ben has been given more of a voice in how the Steelers will move the ball this season. Running back Jonathan Dwyer told Kinkhabwala that Roethlisberger now "has a lot more power" in how the game plan is constructed.

That's encouraging, because every quarterback worth his salt wants to call his own plays, and few do a better job than Roethlisberger. He's one of the NFL's premier improvisers.

It's easy to forget that Roethlisberger was off to an MVP-level start last season before injuries unraveled his campaign and left the Steelers in the dust. Check out Aditi's report on why we might see a happier, more productive Big Ben this time around.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.
    I'll believe it when I see it. However if this is true it's certainly an about face from last year as we all heard Ben had to be "reeled in."

Perhaps now that Dan is back, he "reeled in" Art II.

Banned
    Yep. When the Will Johnson/David Paulson formation is replaced with 3 wides on most first downs? Then I'll believe it.

Use three wides as the base, and get out of their way.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ers-game-plans

I'll believe it when I see it. However if this is true it's certainly an about face from last year as we all heard Ben had to be "reeled in."

Well, a first year is usually a "get to know you" type of thing. Now that Haley has a better feel for Ben and vice versa, things should become smoother for both of them and having an off-season to talk by phone and further smooth things out is only natural. Ben started out great last year before the injuries. With an improved line, a better working relationship with Haley, and a real running game, I can't help but expect a good season from him and the rest of the offense.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Ben is pissed, when he is pissed he plays well...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Draft Pick
    If Ben is in fact going to have more say, then hopefully we've seen the last of this:

1st down: Run up the middle
    2nd down: Run up the middle again or bubble screen
    3rd down: BEN HELP!

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post

Hate to break the news too you but Art II has been running the Steelers since 2003
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post
    Hate to break the news too you but Art II has been running the Steelers since 2003
    True, but Dan was still around. You don't think he had any influence at all before he went over to Ireland?

Before Dan went to Ireland, the Steelers had their money in order and ownership wasn't trying to dictate the offensive game plan.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post
    But up until 2010 Art stayed out of game plans and telling coaches how to coach and telling HOF QBs how to play their position.

He needs to back off and be an owner, and not Jerry Jones Lite.

Whatever.... Ben needs to throw the ball away when its falling apart or check down faster. Just save his own *** and play 16 games.

Then cleanup in the playoffs..

Its Bens problem, noone elses.

Banned
    What happens if he doesn't have a checkdown option because the RB is blocking?

If you want Ben to start taking grounding penalties from the pocket or doing the Manning flop? Trade him.

Thread Information