Thread: Has anyone else watched highlights of this D.J. Woods kiid?

Bookmark and Share
    Waterboy

Has anyone else watched highlights of this D.J. Woods kiid?

Just wondering what other people think about this guy? Watched some of his highlights on youtube, and yeah I realize a highlight video can make anyone look like a future HOFer, but was really impressed with what I saw. What really jumped out at me are his hands, body control, and fearlessness when in traffic. Guy makes some beautiful one-handed grabs and the body control he shows on one catch in particular where he was running a crossing pattern with tight coverage and reaches back and above his head while elevated to pull in the ball was quite impressive. I'm not sure of his measurables and can see where he could be overshadowed playing with not only Tavon Austin but Stedman Baley as well, but the guy still managed around 60+ receptions and around 800 yards.

From what I saw, which is limited, the guy looked like the ideal type of WR to excel in Haleys system and really be an exciting player to watch. So im wondering if anyone has additional info or input about this guy and what the rest of you think in regards to him?

10/18/2010 - KEEP AN EYE ON: WR J.D. Woods came out of the shadows against South Florida as the Mountaineers continued to expand their passing game. Woods caught three passes for 38 yards, including a 19-yarder that tied his career high. With Woods moving forward, Smith has a smorgasbord of receivers to choose from, including leading receiver Jock Sanders, dangerous Tavon Austin, deep threat Brad Starks, rapidly improving Stedman Bailey and tight end Will Johnson, to say nothing of Noel Devine out of the backfield.

Hes from my town down here in Naples.
    Maybe our own Will Johnson had words for him?

Waterboy
    Quick correction its J.D. Woods

I saw some highlights too and he looks pretty good. Could be our practice squad guy for a year

Waterboy
    Yea. Haven't seen anything in regards to his route running ability so I wonder if being a bit raw could've contributed to him going undrafted. Because physically he appears to have all the tools required to be a solid nfl reciever. From the commentary by wvu's coach at the end of one of the videos sounds like he is a solid character guy who has no problem being vocal leader both on the field and the sidelines.So I've still yet to find any reason outside him being overshadowed by two above average teammates and just being under the radar throughout the draft process. Hopefully this is the case and the front office has hit on yet another UDFA steal who could potentially add another dimension to a wr core that already has the potential tobe dangerous for many seasons. As well as being a more dynamic and cap friendly alternative to past their prime options such as plax and cotchery. I suppose only time will tell but he is definitely one rookie whose progress ill follow closely throughout ota's and training camp

Draft Pick
    My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    10/18/2010 - KEEP AN EYE ON: WR J.D. Woods came out of the shadows against South Florida as the Mountaineers continued to expand their passing game. Woods caught three passes for 38 yards, including a 19-yarder that tied his career high. With Woods moving forward, Smith has a smorgasbord of receivers to choose from, including leading receiver Jock Sanders, dangerous Tavon Austin, deep threat Brad Starks, rapidly improving Stedman Bailey and tight end Will Johnson, to say nothing of Noel Devine out of the backfield.

Hes from my town down here in Naples.
    Maybe our own Will Johnson had words for him?
    I live in Naples :P

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_43 View Post
    I live in Naples :P
    Nice! I can see the coast of Naples from my Island Home.
    Did you here of him when he played? My one son was at Fort Myers High and a another at Cypress High School when he played.

Thread Information