Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Haley: Bell and every down back

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Would these be the same stories in the same city that labeled Dan Marino a coke head, Bill Cowher banging Kordell's dead sister, and Tom Barrasso banging his baby sitter?

Pittsburgh and rumors has been going on for 30 years. It's typical jealousy of the rich athlete in blue caller working Pittsburgh.
    How about we let the recent Sports Illustrated cover piece serve as the last Big Ben expose we see for a while• It contained enough anecdotes to last at least through the bye week. (I'm guessing the cover shot -- a scruffy Roethlisberger pictured under the headline "The Hangover" -- won't be framed for Big Ben's man cave anytime soon.)

The story filled in the rest of the country on what a lot of us already knew: Roethlisberger often has behaved like an arrogant jerk during his six years as Steelers quarterback. That doesn't mean he committed any crimes. It just means he turned off a significant portion of the locker room and fan base, despite his mostly brilliant play.

Imagine if he were coming off a poor season.

I think it's a good thing Roethlisberger was exposed (resist punch line) over the past few months. If he isn't jarred into some form of humility by such a massive backlash -- on the heels of a second sexual assault allegation within a year -- then nothing will work.
    What's amazing is that it took so long for stories of his ill-mannered ways to reach print. I never broached the matter, because I did not have on-the-record sources. A few weeks ago, I looked to see whether anything had been written on the topic from Roethlisberger's early years. I finally came across a piece in the Pittsburgh City Paper, for which local radio host Mark Madden deserves immense credit.
    Madden, it seems, was the first media person to suggest Roethlisberger might not be the humble guy he seemed to be.
    In a column titled "Is Ben getting too big for his britches?" that was published late in Roethlisberger's rookie year, Madden wrote of how "tales flow freely about Roethlisberger's ego growing proportionately to his accomplishments."

What sorts of tales?

Wrote Madden: "Roethlisberger snubbed the Pirates' Jason Bay, pointedly ignoring (Bay) when he came to Steelers headquarters for a Pirates-requested photo op. Chukky Okobi openly accused Roethlisberger, once a close friend, of 'big-timing' him since becoming a star. Roethlisberger berated a Steelers PR type for allowing a TV interview to run over the agreed-upon five minutes. Jerome Bettis told a reporter that the Steelers 'have some young guys who don't know what it means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.' His eyes were fixed on Roethlisberger. All of these incidents were witnessed. None are mere rumor."

Then came a warning:

"Maybe you can't blame the kid for having a swelled cranium," Madden wrote. "He's just 22, and he's having perhaps the best season of any rookie in any sport ever. But it's the sort of thing the Steelers need to keep in check while it can still be controlled."
    Whoops. That check bounced.

Five years later, credible sources are going on the record to speak of Roethlisberger's chronically appalling behavior.

Read more: http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib...#ixzz2SMEw01fR
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
    I sincerely feel like Ben has grown up and has turned his life around. That said, it does no one any good to ignore the fact that Ben has behaved like a douche in the past. I bet even Ben would admit it.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    It's typical jealousy of the rich athlete in blue caller working Pittsburgh.
    That would be a legitimate claim if the same allegations were coming out against Troy, Ike, Crosby, Malkin, and the other "rich athletes" in "blue caller [sic] working Pittsburgh."
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

2nd String
    It's typical jealousy of the rich athlete in blue caller working Pittsburgh.
    Who are they calling? On the phone?

Banned
    Jerome Bettis told a reporter that the Steelers 'have some young guys who don't know what it means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.'
    Yeah, the same guy who was accused of sexual assault when he traded an autographed football for a blow job on a public street in a car during training camp.

He has room to talk. Friggin' butter fingers dimwit.

Then Bettis said Ben should be suspended for the GA accusation, AFTER he said years prior that Kobe Bryant is innocent until proven guilty.

Let's see, fat *** fumbler wanted the UNCHARGED WHITE GUY who saved his *** from a life time of shame and embarrassment suspended, but never called for the suspension of the CHARGED NBA black player.

Interesting.........
    Last edited by Crash; 05-04-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    I sincerely feel like Ben has grown up and has turned his life around. That said, it does no one any good to ignore the fact that Ben has behaved like a douche in the past. I bet even Ben would admit it.
    Here's your credible source:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_522490.html

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08213/900577-54.stm

This owner obviously has no regard for human safety, nor the regard for doing things though the proper channels.

But he can go ahead and judge Ben over a $5 cover charge and rumors.....lol

Typical jealous Yinzer trash.

Bell will do good in Hayley's system...better than the pretenders we have
    "HAIL TO PITT"

Banned
    Unless Haley changed the system. The results will remain the same.

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by LevonKirkland99 View Post
    Bell will do good in Hayley's system...better than the pretenders we have
    Yup. They KNOW Bell is going to excel which is why the sent the entire group of higher ups to see his workout. After learning that, and watching tape, I knew Bell is who they were going after. I still think they might have taken him a little early, but maybe they had no teams willing to trade up so they pulled the trigger, knowing he was their highest rated back in the entire draft. To get Jarvis Jones AND Bell in one draft is a good start to fixing this broken team.

2nd String
    Unless Haley changed the system. The results will remain the same.
    Want to bet? Dwyer is lazy - has very good skills but no heart hence he can't produce for a whole game. Redman is a plodder who wouldn't make most teams' roster. Bell is way better than those guys and will prove it running in Haley's system.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...ne/MAG1169185/

Yep, every word a lie.

While you are at it, please explain why The Cabana Club's code violations make the owner's claims about Ben inaccurate. (Hint: They do not. You are engaging in yet another logical fallacy.)
    Last edited by TarlsQtr; 05-04-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Thread Information