Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Batch article by Ron Cook (new to the forum)

Bookmark and Share

Batch article by Ron Cook (new to the forum)

Hello all, been a long time reader and I decided to finally get in here with the rest of my Steeler addicts. With the pleasantries aside, I enjoyed the article Ron Cook wrote this morning about Charlie Batch but found the following quote made by Batch particularly interesting.

Article: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...uccess-685435/

Comment: "Maybe they weren't happy with what they had behind Ben and Bruce. That could be. But ultimately, I think this isn't about replacing me. Big picture, maybe they're thinking, 'Can we develop Landry Jones to be the starter? Maybe two years from now, he could be our guy for the next 10 years.' We don't know. But with the contracts for quarterbacks these days, he'd certainly be a heck of a lot cheaper than Ben at age 34 or 35 or 36."

My biggest fear is that the team will not want to pay the type of money they will need to extend Big Ben. If that is the case I am not comfortable with the future QB being a 4th round wait a few years and see as opposed to drafting truly elite college QB who can start right away or maybe sit for 1 year max.

Thoughts?

Starter
    There must be an echo on this board. I've said the same thing for weeks here and the sheep here tell me how wrong I am.

As soon as they can dump Ben and be cap friendly, he's done here.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Can someone check the IDP of these two. Just saying......
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    There must be an echo on this board. I've said the same thing for weeks here and the sheep here tell me how wrong I am.

As soon as they can dump Ben and be cap friendly, he's done here.
    you have no idea what you are talking about, but that is a conclusion i have accepted with you

With all the restructuring ben has done it will never be cap friendly, it gets less and less cap friendly.

So maybe landry will be a starter for us one day, maybe they will trade him and he'll be a starter somewhere, maybe he'll be a nobody. Ben almost certainly has another $100 million extension coming his way though. They needed a backup that could either provide for a long term investment or one that can provide for a short term return on investment....Landry Jones accomplishes both

To clarify, I am one who desperately hopes they sign Ben to an extension. We waited so long for an elite QB. Example, 1 Superbowl in 26 years and 3 in 9 years with Ben. I say ride with him until he can no longer deliver on the field. I had never previously entertained the thought of the Steelers not extending him until I read the comment Batch made. I might be reading too much into it so I thought I would post it here and see what others thought.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Ben almost certainly has another $100 million extension coming his way though. They needed a backup that could either provide for a long term investment or one that can provide for a short term return on investment....Landry Jones accomplishes both

This is what I was hoping for. Another point of view that helps ease me troubled mind, LOL! They better extend him. 6 years, $100+ million sounds good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler John View Post
    This is what I was hoping for. Another point of view that helps ease me troubled mind, LOL! They better extend him. 6 years, $100+ million sounds good to me!
    Unfortunately with the current market, i think its going to be more like 4 years, $100 million

Starter
    Unfortunately with the current market, i think its going to be more like 4 years, $100 million
    Which is why it won't happen.

Jones can hand off 35 times a game for a fraction of the cost.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Can someone check the IDP of these two. Just saying......
    First of all unless it's for business I would be caught dead in Seattle with those Sanka and salad eating inbred's.

Either way, get him extended 4 years and let's go get Superbowl #'s 7,8,9 and 10!!!

Thread Information